finally put in my regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 11:01 PM
magnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally put in my regulator

i adjusted it today its working great off the hole my car feels faster..............hopefully ill have pics by next week ive been waiting to post pics cuz i wanted to have everything on my car perfect.......

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
Old 01-25-2001, 11:06 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mchtypeS:
i adjusted it today its working great off the hole my car feels faster..............hopefully ill have pics by next week ive been waiting to post pics cuz i wanted to have everything on my car perfect.......

</font>

We said no more posting till we see the pics! ;-P

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-25-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

We said no more posting till we see the pics! ;-P

</font>
i rember that also

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-26-2001, 01:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah! Delete his posts!!

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:49 AM
Instructor

don't be a hater now

------------------
THE LOWER I GET THE MORE YOU SWEAT
Old 01-26-2001, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Not to rain on your parade, but the feel is in your head.

The Short Term Fuel Trim will of cut out any adjustments you have made within a minute or two. And then along comes the Long Term Fuel Trim to permantly negate any changes.

But make one go outside or 21% and a DTC will be set.
Old 01-26-2001, 04:50 PM
magnet

what the hell are u talking about scalbert

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension

Old 01-26-2001, 05:08 PM
Racer

I'm curious, what is this thing ?
Old 01-26-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro

I am curious as well.. sorry for being ignorant.. just want to be informed.. never heard of this before.

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim
* soon Comptech springs and sways
* 5% tint rear side, back
Old 01-26-2001, 05:46 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
mch. What did I tell you boy?!?

NO MORE POSTING TILL I SEE SOME PICS!

NOW SQUEEEEEEEEEL BOY!!!! SQQUEEEEEEL!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 01-26-2001, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

what the hell are u talking about scalbert

</font>
So you put in an adjustable FPR and you don't know what I am talking about??

How the heck can you install an FPR and tune it without knowing fuel trim or even WOT O2 voltage?? That is the most absurd thing I have heard. What is next, the Tornado intake vortex generator?? JK...

Anyway, I was speakign from extensive experience in dealing with adjustable FPRs Have even tuned many through watching the the PCM's reaction through a Laptop (best home tool ever for current cars). I have found that any current OBDII cars gain nothing from an adjustable FPR. Gone are the old days when you could lean out a car a bit for more power or richen it up to get rid of deto.

If you would like I can go into what Short and Long Term Fuel Trim are??
Old 01-26-2001, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah can some one tell us what the hell this thing does. I know it regulates fuel duh but how and what are the advantages over OEM.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:58 PM
magnet

well look i dont know abot 02 voltage or whatever i know yesterday i raced a couple of my friends cars which i regularly race 4 fun we all do this after we do a mod 2 our cars and yesterday on both of them i was quicker off the line.....i mean if fpr didnt work why would people be buying them.....from what your saying u say fpr's dont work right?

------------------

Old 01-26-2001, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
yeah can some one tell us what the hell this thing does. I know it regulates fuel duh but how and what are the advantages over OEM.

</font>
The car, basically all fuel injector cars, have fuel pressure regulator. They are typically after the injectors at the beginning od the return fuel line.

What is it's purpose?? It is simple, to maintain a constant pressure at the fuel injector tip. As you drive, your vacuum (and/or boost in forced induction) will vary. This means the amount of vacuum or boost at the injector tip varies. If the fuel pressure were constant then the fuel mapping would be much more difficult, changing wildly.

The FPR (fuel pressure regulator) has a vacuum line attachment. So as the vacuum/boost varies so does the fuel pressure typically in the same amount. This way the difference between the front side and back side of the injector nozzle is constant. If you have say 45 PSI fuel pressure at atmospheric pressure, 0 vacuum, and then drop to 15" vacuum (about -7 PSI) your fuel pressure would drop to about 38 PSI. Conversely, say you run boost on the same engine and are at 10 PSI, your fuel pressure would be about 55 PSI.

For many years, nearly since the wide adoption of EFI, people have replaced their stock FPRs with adjustable units. This way they can change their base pressure. In the old days this worked for the most part. The computers could adapt some but they were slow to. So people would make adjustments at the track for a run and then back again before the computer figured anything out.

But today the story is different. Good 'ole OBDII mandated a standard format for fuel control. They are the Short and Long Term Fuel trim. These are means to which a car can adjust to issues on the car, say a vacuum leak, clogging fuel filter, etc. By monitoring the HO2S1 (primary O2 sensor) values (another story to its self) the computer makes adjustments to the short term trim to try and keep the car at stoichiometric ratio, 14.7:1 Air/Fuel ratio. If it gets too rich the trim is adjusted down in a percentage value. If it is lean the trim is adjusted up. Now as the Short trim value is away from 0, the long term trim comes and slowly makes adjustments to bring the short back close to 0.

Now when fuel delivery is calculated a general number is looked up and decided on. But before this pulse width is sent to the injector, the fuel trim values are brought into play. Nearly exactly their percentage values. If you are at -5% on short term and 0 and long term and a pulse width of 5ms was determined, then this 5ms will be dropped by 5% to 4.75ms.

Now what happens when you adjust the fuel pressure with an aftermarket unit, the PCM sees this as becoming a richer or leaner condition based on the adjustment and changes the fuel trim values accordingly. So the injector pulse width has now been modified from what it would have been negating the fuel pressure changes. This happens now within a minute.

I have watched it change very quickly. Say at idle there is a constant pulse width of 2ms and I increase the fuel pressure up 5%, you'll see the pulse width drop to about 1.9 ms with a minute.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-26-2001, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

....i mean if fpr didnt work why would people be buying them.....from what your saying u say fpr's dont work right?

</font>
Why do people buy alot of things, Marketing. Another primary one today is for show. But they had been of performance value in the past and people try to bank off of this. But today they aren't worth anything on a basically stock vehicle.

But as mentioned before, I have bought them too starting with non-OBDII cars ending with one. And as also mentioned, I found that on current vehicles any chages are negated by the PCM. Do what you want with your money,
I am just conveying what I know is true about this on current cars so that others don't run out and buy one and thinking they are going to gain power.

BTW, it takes atleast a 5% gain in HP to actually feel it, normally closer to 10%. No one ever has gotten this amout from an FPR, even in the past.

[This message has been edited by scalbert (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old 01-26-2001, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

One clarifcation, what I am refering to is basically normal cars. When you start taking an NA vehicle and boosting, things change. In many of these cases people will use a non-linear FPR, like a 4:1 unit. This is where under vacuum the unit behaves normally, for every PSI of negative pressure (vacuum) the fuel pressure is dropped that amount. But under boost you get 4x the the fuel pressure increase than what boost is, i.e. 5 PSI boost creates 20 PSI fuel pressure increase.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Scalbert,

Ok....so...let me get this straight...yup...I have no clue what the hell you just said. But thanks for coming around and educating us once and awhile.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:39 PM
Drifting

97 Integra gained 2-4HP by using a a Fuel Pressure Regulator. This is with them having intake, headers, and exhaust. 97 Integras are OBD-II.

Spiro
Old 01-26-2001, 09:39 PM
foolio at heart

So you changed your fuel regulator? Why? are you now supercharged? or turbo? whats the purpose?
Old 01-27-2001, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
97 Integra gained 2-4HP by using a a Fuel Pressure Regulator. This is with them having intake, headers, and exhaust. 97 Integras are OBD-II.
Spiro
</font>
What is the source and how long after the change was the run made and were subsequent runs made?? A very legitimate question when we talk of street vehicles.

I do love debating subjects of this matter. But I would put up significant $$ on this bet. And I never bet...

I was one who thought an increase was to be found and had seen them on older vehicles, and was defensive about it. But after installing several FPR's and tuning them on newer vehicles I found it to be a waste of time. Test it yourself...
Old 01-27-2001, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

A FPR will help produces horses in highly modified cars. However, cars with the basic mods such as headers intake and exhaust will not benefit from an FPR.
Old 01-27-2001, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scalbert.......thanks for the education. Makes me think of all the scary things, say an OBD V will be doing someday soon. Like phoning the cops when you're asleep and telling them you were speeding!!

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-27-2001, 04:12 PM
Banned

Well...let's see, yup, I too am lost!

Scalbert - looks like a good explanation and good information, maybe even FAQ info, but I for one will probably never understand or use it!

I know of what your talking about, but have no experience with FPR's and probably never will. That's just me

Anyways, mctypes - it's time for some pics, don't care if you car is "perfect" or not!! Let's see it!

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask
Old 01-27-2001, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bc01cls:
Makes me think of all the scary things, say an OBD V will be doing someday soon. Like phoning the cops when you're asleep and telling them you were speeding!!

</font>
There is testing being done that will have the computers equipped with buffered logging capability. Basically keeping a non-volatile FIFO of all engine parameters for say the last 10 seconds. So all data, including vehicle speed, accel, decel rates, etc. would be retained for 10 seconds. This way a short history report could be made in the event of an accident.

There are many legal issues here.

Also, On-Star can notify to service that the air-bags had been deployed which could then alert the police/ambulance automatically. But why couldn't it also report other information automatically, like vehicle speed??