Finally decided on 03 CLS 6sp Navi, now come the questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 08:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally decided on 03 CLS 6sp Navi, now come the questions!

I'm getting a Anthracite/Black 6 Speed Type S with Nav next weekend and had a few questions.

1) Spoiler - Do the dealerships have these in stock in every color or do they need to order one now? Has anyone had any issues with these rattling (I had a factory spoiler on my 97 M3 and the thing vibrated against the body of the car, took me FOREVER to get fixed)?

2) Wheels - I really don't like the 03 factory wheels. I'd rather have the ones that were on this car in 01 (5 Spoke). Does anyone know where I can find some of these. I assume they are the exact same size as what's on the 03 Type S. How about the ones that come on the 03 TL Type S, will they fit?

3) Performance - I need recommendations on best BANG for the buck. I'm thinking CAI and Chip (maybe exhaust, but I've never really seen cat back exhaust get you more than 5 hp). What brands are out there and what's used the mosrt? What kind of hp gains can I look for from this combo (CAI/Chip combo in M3 got me around 20hp (butt-dynoed)).

4) What else - The only thing I wasn't immediatley (sp?) sold on with the CL was the exterior styling. I hope the spoiler and different wheels will help give the car a better look, but what other items (clear corners, fog/running lights, lowering kits) can give this othewise great car a "meaner" look?

TIA and can't wait till next Saturday,
Andrew

ps. How this thing in stop and go traffic? I drive around 55 miles a day to and from work in pretty bad traffic. On the test drive it looked like I could just stick it in second and do the 0-45 mph stop and go routine....
Old 09-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Finally decided on 03 CLS 6sp Navi, now come the questions!

Originally posted by acs01
[B]I'm getting a Anthracite/Black 6 Speed Type S with Nav next weekend and had a few questions.

1) Spoiler - Do the dealerships have these in stock in every color or do they need to order one now? Has anyone had any issues with these rattling (I had a factory spoiler on my 97 M3 and the thing vibrated against the body of the car, took me FOREVER to get fixed)?
I know they were ready to put a silver one on my car if I wanted it and they were talking hour and change... So, check with your dealer.

2) Wheels - I really don't like the 03 factory wheels. I'd rather have the ones that were on this car in 01 (5 Spoke). Does anyone know where I can find some of these. I assume they are the exact same size as what's on the 03 Type S. How about the ones that come on the 03 TL Type S, will they fit?
The older ones will fit -- you can ask a 2001-2002 member or check "Black Market" for some used ones in pretty nice shape. They are basically 17x7" +55 offset; however, the newer wheels are lighter than the old ones and putting on the “older” ones will cost you a bit of acceleration due to their higher weight.

3) Performance - I need recommendations on best BANG for the buck. I'm thinking CAI and Chip (maybe exhaust, but I've never really seen cat back exhaust get you more than 5 hp). What brands are out there and what's used the mosrt? What kind of hp gains can I look for from this combo (CAI/Chip combo in M3 got me around 20hp (butt-dynoed)).
Chip == no
CAI
Headers (OBX, Comptech)
Pulleys (well, so far so good, but...) UR (bigger gain but???) AEM -- well, minimal gain

Check around at the dynos and do a search...

4) What else - The only thing I wasn't immediatley (sp?) sold on with the CL was the exterior styling. I hope the spoiler and different wheels will help give the car a better look, but what other items (clear corners, fog/running lights, lowering kits) can give this othewise great car a "meaner" look?
????

Andrew

ps. How this thing in stop and go traffic? I drive around 55 miles a day to and from work in pretty bad traffic. On the test drive it looked like I could just stick it in second and do the 0-45 mph stop and go routine....

I don't have the 6-speed (only the slushbox). I do enjoy stick and can tell you that you will get less than optimal gas mileage driving around in 2nd (If you don't care, ignore this)...
Old 09-18-2002, 08:56 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I'm getting a Anthracite/Black 6 Speed Type S with Nav next weekend and had a few questions.

The dealers seem to have no trouble getting these high mark up options. Mine does not rattle a bit.

Mine isn't a daily driver but in the 12500 miles I've driven it I've managed to live through a few traffic jams. I don't find the clutch a problem at all. 1st gear is really low so you can ride it to a crawl, if need be.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:05 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Re: Finally decided on 03 CLS 6sp Navi, now come the questions!

Originally posted by EricL

????

Andrew
TIA = Thanks in advance

Old 09-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Finally decided on 03 CLS 6sp Navi, now come the questions!

Originally posted by Scrib
TIA = Thanks in advance

area of misquote....

I've been having to say TIA so much, that I may have to be MIA...
Old 09-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I just got my 03 cl-s 6 spd w/navi two weeks ago and i have to commute a total of 60 miles each day and i don't mind it at all, the car is fun to drive so you shouldn't have any worries

you may want to consider changing your interior bulbs for starters as a very quick and easy mod, i bought a new map light, dome light, door light, and trunk bulb, to get rid of that annoying dull white color.

the door's, map light's and trunk use a 168 wedge bulb and the dome light uses the longer type bulb with the metal connector's at the end, i forgot the number of it. the b1 hybrid bulbs are the best for this...

congrats on the car
Old 09-18-2002, 09:50 PM
Balla on a Budget

What else - The only thing I wasn't immediatley (sp?) sold on with the CL was the exterior styling.
Then why are u buyin it, if u dont like the looks?????
Old 09-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I use mine as a daily driver in annoying city traffic. No problems.

The clutch is a charm. Like Klamalama said, 1st is low enough so there really isn't an issue with slooooow traffic.

As EricL said, the gas mileage isn't too impressive when your day is spent in <3rd. I'm averaging between 17-19 mpg for an all city gas tank (a/c on all the time). My highway mileage is around 29 or 30 mpg. It always amazes me how different city and highway mileage can be.