extrude hone intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extrude hone intake manifold

Extrude honing is basically passing a clay like substance through the intake manifold to make it smooth. Ford did this on the SVT Contour and gained 25hp.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Results have demonstrated that such increases can exceed 30 percent on aluminum intake manifolds and 25 percent on cylinder heads.</font>
What do you guys think?

http://www.extrudehone.com/

[This message has been edited by frederix (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 03:22 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by frederix:
Extrude honing is basically passing a clay like substance through the intake manifold to make it smooth. Ford did this on the SVT Contour and gained 25hp.

What do you guys think?

http://www.extrudehone.com/

[This message has been edited by frederix (edited 04-01-2001).]
</font>
If the original "finish" is rough, then a smooth finish will reduce the turbulant air in the runners and promote a laminar flow for better efficiency. The question is -- how "rough" are the current pieces.

The Dr. has seen some AmeriCan manifolds that looked like they had a sand paper finish -- so the Dr. would approve of a smoothing operation.

Maybe one of the consulting surgeons on the boards could perform some exploratory surgery to let us know?

------------------
Dr's car's is stealthy -- able to sneak up on unsuspecting victims
Old 04-01-2001, 05:14 PM
Advanced

sounds interesting... what is the finish on our stock headers like anyway(a 1-10) from those who have knowledge in that area
Old 04-01-2001, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I checked into this but it was cost prohibitive. The quote started at $3k and that wasn't factoring in the mechanics time to tear the engine apart or put it back together. It was also explained that if someone wanted to do the job correctly you might need a larger throttle body and a more aggressive cam, new heads (?), along with headers and a cai. The shop hadn't torn into a J32 engine so they didn't know what type of results to expect.
We need a pioneer but it's not going to be me until the warranty runs out.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 04-01-2001, 05:26 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EDFRO:
sounds interesting... what is the finish on our stock headers like anyway(a 1-10) from those who have knowledge in that area</font>
I'm talking about the intake manifold, not the exhaust manifold (headers). Most intake manifolds are made of cast aluminum while most headers are made from steel tubing which is already pretty smooth.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:29 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
I checked into this but it was cost prohibitive. The quote started at $3k and that wasn't factoring in the mechanics time to tear the engine apart or put it back together. It was also explained that if someone wanted to do the job correctly you might need a larger throttle body and a more aggressive cam, new heads (?), along with headers and a cai. The shop hadn't torn into a J32 engine so they didn't know what type of results to expect.
We need a pioneer but it's not going to be me until the warranty runs out.

</font>
OK, maybe just having the heads polished would be cheaper. Any ideas on price?
Old 04-01-2001, 05:54 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by frederix:
OK, maybe just having the heads polished would be cheaper. Any ideas on price?</font>
You will probably spend more on removing the bits than on the polishing.

1. See/ask if the all of the runners match with the gaskets and other pieces. This will give you more power than a polish. Matching all the runners etc would then require a polish if metal was removed to get a perfect fit.

This would be a good question for Jens: "Jens, do the heads, intake manifolds, gaskets, and other intake parts fit together well. If there are any mismatches between runners, about how much are we talking about?"

If you can find out if the parts fit well, then just move on to the polish issue, if not then a "blueprint" special may get you some egztra power.

I'm sure one of the "hot" tuning shops with a flow bench could get you some more air through the head. However, the guys who are doing that 3.5 liter job are only getting a bit more power with a stroker than with just the headers and CAI (and they are supposedly stroking, porting, etc) for another 15-20 hp.

Look for the mismatches at the mating surfaces 1st, then go for the polish (if required) -- but ask someone who has had a look at the internals (and isn't biased).

The Dr. is putting his guestimator back into his bag.

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 06:26 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrJeckle and Hyde:
If the original "finish" is rough, then a smooth finish will reduce the turbulant air in the runners and promote a laminar flow for better efficiency. The question is -- how "rough" are the current pieces.
</font>
What's with the schitzo Bob Dole 3rd person stutff?

A guy I know is putting a CL Type S intake manifold and t/b on his Accord V6, He's having the intake manifold sent to Edyn. I told him to have it Extrude Honed, and he's considered it.

Most importantly, he said that parts of the intake manifold (he took pictures) it'd be easier just to be vague unless you've actually taken your intake manifold and seen how the dual stage is setup, said that parts of it were rough, and would probably flow a lot better after having some port and polish or extrude honing process.

Also, extrude honing the intake manifold won't be that expensive. I talked to a Pontiac grand am owner, and he said it was around $600 for him to do both his exhaust manifold and the upper intake manifold. And that's a V6, too. So....

doing something to the heads is pretty serious and I wouldnt recommend doing just ONE thing to it if you're taking it apart. I'd recommend something more like the whole deal with beefing up all the valvetrain components etc etc. and unless you're willing to spend upwards of about $4 grand, I wouldn't bother.

So I say just extrude hone your intake manifold, and don't worry about the head for now.

That's what "Newton's second law" thinks...

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 04-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by F=ma:
What's with the schitzo Bob Dole 3rd person stutff?

A guy I know is putting a CL Type S intake manifold and t/b on his Accord V6, He's having the intake manifold sent to Edyn. I told him to have it Extrude Honed, and he's considered it.

Most importantly, he said that parts of the intake manifold (he took pictures) it'd be easier just to be vague unless you've actually taken your intake manifold and seen how the dual stage is setup, said that parts of it were rough, and would probably flow a lot better after having some port and polish or extrude honing process.

Also, extrude honing the intake manifold won't be that expensive. I talked to a Pontiac grand am owner, and he said it was around $600 for him to do both his exhaust manifold and the upper intake manifold. And that's a V6, too. So....

doing something to the heads is pretty serious and I wouldnt recommend doing just ONE thing to it if you're taking it apart. I'd recommend something more like the whole deal with beefing up all the valvetrain components etc etc. and unless you're willing to spend upwards of about $4 grand, I wouldn't bother.

So I say just extrude hone your intake manifold, and don't worry about the head for now.

That's what "Newton's second law" thinks...

</font>
Hey, grumpster....

Do you know if the extent of the "roughness" is confined to the intake manifold?

Have you had a look at the fit between the intake manifold, gaskets, and head?

Do they all fit? Or, is there a ledge or ledges?

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 08:16 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
As somebody else mentioned above. You would probably be better off doing a port matching job on the intake and t/b.

I would think that we already have a slight head polish job like they do on the type R. But I guess we aren't considered a race car, so who knows.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Hey, grumpster....

Do they all fit? Or, is there a ledge or ledges?

</font>
Heh, okay, I just thought you were kinda strange with the whole 3rd person thing, didn't mean to come off harsh.

And I'm not sure about the fitment, have to go in there with a mike.

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 04-01-2001, 08:38 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
Kenny, can you email me the name and number of that guy who does headwork in TO again, I can't find it anymore...

thanks in advance,

Robb

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 04-01-2001, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
BTW doesnt much of the above descirbed honig happen to the 3.5 acuracl/tl genII set up???

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 04-01-2001, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Heh, okay, I just thought you were kinda strange with the whole 3rd person thing, didn't mean to come off harsh.

And I'm not sure about the fitment, have to go in there with a mike.

</font>
Style is deliberate. We all do it (in day-to-day life) -- usually unconsciously. Changes in place, setting, and region promote most of us to modify this style.

Is dry formality with rigid conformity a requirement?

Would love to know about the fitment -- past results from some "poorly" engineered autos returned more net gain from a dose of Dykem, scribe and porting tools (for matching), then subsequent polishing.

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Is dry formality with rigid conformity a requirement?

</font>
Well there's a lack of style, but then again there's also sanity... lol j/k

Astroboy - yeah lemmme dig it up.

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 04-01-2001, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Well there's a lack of style, but then again there's also sanity... lol j/k

Astroboy - yeah lemmme dig it up.