Exhaust system upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust system upgrade question

Hey all,

I'm considering my options on upgrading my stock '03 CL-S exhaust. Can anybody break down the approximate HP/torque gains that each component of the Comptech exhaust system will give?

-Headers: ?
-B-pipe: ?
-Axle-back: ?

If I only do the headers first, will I get a nice performance improvement or will the stock exhaust hinder the impact of the Comptech headers? If I do the B-pipe after the headers, and leave the stock mufflers for now, will I get even better air flow (than with just upgrading headers) even thought I've not changed the mufflers back yet?

I've heard on these forums that the axle-back exhaust gives the least HP gain (1-3 HP), so it seems to me that this component should be the last thing upgraded. Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help!

Brian
Old 01-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got to www.comptechusa.com and it will give you all the details.. They now offer the exhaust/b-pipe as a set. But everything at that site gives you HP gains etc..

Performance wise go with Headers / Intake / Exhaust ...
Old 01-07-2004, 08:36 AM
10th Gear

Just headers for now?

If I only upgrade the headers and put on a cold air intake (and leave the stock exhaust for now), will I get a strong performance boost?

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 01-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Just headers for now?

Originally posted by shdowflare
If I only upgrade the headers and put on a cold air intake (and leave the stock exhaust for now), will I get a strong performance boost?

Thanks again,
Brian
It will be noticeable. Don't upgrade the b-pipe/mufflers unless you just want more noise or you are planning to go FI. That combo only shows about 3-4hp gain for ~1000 dollars. It benifits the FI guys alittle more
Old 01-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Just headers for now?

Yes. This is what I’ve done so far and the combo of headers/intake adds the most HP for your buck. The stock exhaust system in the Type S is actually tuned so well that any other aftermarket exhaust would yield very minimal gains.

Without having a Supercharger or a Turbo on your car to upgrade the exhaust and b-pipe would only be for looks and sound.

For now go with the headers and an intake. Then if you like the looks of an aftermarket exhaust you can go that route.

-Edit- same as spdy0001 said.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: Re: Just headers for now?

Originally posted by spdy0001
It will be noticeable. Don't upgrade the b-pipe/mufflers unless you just want more noise or you are planning to go FI. That combo only shows about 3-4hp gain for ~1000 dollars. It benifits the FI guys alittle more
I'll have to agree 100% here.

The B-pipe will really only benefit you if you have a turbo or supercharger.

The headers will get you about 30hp peak to the wheels, while the exhausts get you about 2hp.

Personally I went with headers, intake and exhaust. I know the exhaust don't do much... but they look so cool and sound sweet too

BTW, check out our site if you're looking for stuff. I'll bet we're cheaper then Comptech on everything
Old 01-07-2004, 09:28 AM
10th Gear

Thanks!

Sounds great, thanks for the input! I like sound of the Comptech exhaust, but I also like the way the stock tips sit in the rear of the vehicle. Can I keep the stock tips with an exhaust that sounds like the Comptech?

Also, where can I find the headers here on A-CL.com?

-Brian
Old 01-07-2004, 09:38 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Thanks!

Sounds great, thanks for the input! I like sound of the Comptech exhaust, but I also like the way the stock tips sit in the rear of the vehicle. Can I keep the stock tips with an exhaust that sounds like the Comptech?

Also, where can I find the headers here on A-CL.com?

-Brian
Cut the tips off the comptechs and have your stocks welded on.

You can try the black market forum for headers but they rarely show up, I would stick with www.c-c-c.net or contact dean in the comptech forum