Exhaust Bolts (replacing)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:09 AM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exhaust Bolts (replacing)

Ok I'm a little new here and have been doing some reading and searching on doing my exhaust. Here is what I have come up with by reading and searching.

-XS Power Headers seem to be generally a good buy for most with decent power enhancement for the price.

-No real need to change the from the cat back because the Type S has a decent exhaust from the factory.

-To help with exhaust resonation header wrap can be used for good results.

-Most people found the cat bolts to be the biggest pain. Soaking all bolts being removed the night before on a cold engine and again shortly before removal will help this greatly. Pb blaster seems to be the most popular.

-For better sealing of headers replacement bolts should be used.

Following instructions for r and r on here I looked over the whole engine compartment at everything that needs to be removed to do this install. I have all tools necessary along with time and space. I'm getting my list together of parts and prices and havefound everything I need except the replacement bolts. In some posts I found people having success at home depot or napa. Does anyone have part numbers for these items? Or am I better off getting these from the dealer. I'd like to order everything Monday so I have a good chance of getting it done this weekend. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
Old 05-11-2008, 03:13 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Beavisboots
-XS Power Headers seem to be generally a good buy for most with decent power enhancement for the price.
yup

-No real need to change the from the cat back because the Type S has a decent exhaust from the factory.
you can gain anywhere from 2-5whp from a cat back or axle back

-To help with exhaust resonation header wrap can be used for good results.
yup

-Most people found the cat bolts to be the biggest pain. Soaking all bolts being removed the night before on a cold engine and again shortly before removal will help this greatly. Pb blaster seems to be the most popular.
i used a 4 ft long cheater bar on my ratchets

-For better sealing of headers replacement bolts should be used.
new bolts won't seal any better. the ones that come with the headers are just crap.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:17 AM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

I apologize I didn't clarify what I meant by replacement bolts. I did read that the ones that come with the headers are crap. I didn't want to reuse my stock ones either and want to replace those. Where is the best place to get?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I apologize I didn't clarify what I meant by replacement bolts. I did read that the ones that come with the headers are crap. I didn't want to reuse my stock ones either and want to replace those. Where is the best place to get?
Lowes, that's where I got mine, lol I but ovetightened 1 of them and broke it right in half, but overall they are good, and still holding well, lol.

Good luck
Old 05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
When choosing bolts from whatever store, remember to look for grade 8 steel or better. The bolts I used were 8.8 and had no probs tightening them down. I also recommend the header wrap at least on the cheap leaky flex pipe. My xs headers are loud!!! The sound is def coming from the flex pipe wish I had wrapped them first. Believe me its next on my list of things to do. They did give me noticeable gain in hp though. Good luck with the install, its a good mod.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Thanks for the advice. I am ordering all my stuff tonight. Definitely getting header wrap. In my search I found a spray referred to as High Heat Coating. Think I may order this too. I found two different kinds. One listed by most companies as "original" and a second listed as copper. Can anyone who's used header wrap coating give me a good suggestion? It looks like most manufacturers offerer the regular stuff in black and silver. If I go with this I will order the black. Seems like the silver would look bad after time and wear. Thanks.

Joe