Electronic Keys?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 03:17 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic Keys?!

So Im sitting outside this afternoon cleaning the dash of my car and vacuuming my mats... I had the passenger side door open for a while and I think my doors relocked. I didn't realize that had happened so I started to vacuum and had to put my keys in the ignition to power the cigarette outlet for my car vac. I finished with the passenger side so I shut the door, as soon as I shut it I realized what I had done. Both doors were locked so I panicked for a few seconds then I realized I had my second set of keys in my house. So I run inside grab the keys and come out to my car pushing the unlock button on the fob. NOTHING... I push it a few more times and NOTHING. As thoughts of calling the Acura road side assistance roll through my head, I remember "Hey I can use the key on the doors - DUH!" So the key gets me into the car and I am able to retrieve my main keys. So I am assuming my key FOB just wasn't programmed and thats why it didn't unlock the doors for me... but then a thought crosses my mind, lets try starting the car with these keys. Guess what? It wouldn't start. The starter rolled but no ignition. The key doesn't have the correct electronic code for my car.

Any ideas on why the key would let me in the physical lock but have the wrong electronic components? Im sure the dealer will be able to take care of it, but it just seems a little odd. Anyone else run into this problem with their second set of keys? Also, I should probably try the valet key to see if those work.

I am glad I found out my second set was no good for starting the car now, rather than later when I really need them for something. I would recommend all you people that haven't tried out their second set since they bought the car to check em now!

------------------
Satin Silver CL Type S w/Navi
---
DOM 09/2000
Old 06-26-2001, 04:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i know that you can't use your fob to lock or unlock your doors if there's a key in the ignition. as for it not starting, don't know.

Old 06-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

A key in the ignition disables the remote. You can't open your trunk either when a key is in the ignition (from the remote). The passenger side door WILL lock the car when the key is in the ignition. The driver's side will not.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02
DOM 3/2000
Self proclaimed President of the "No Scratched Rim Club"

gto2050 (Mike) - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-27-2001, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

I had the same problem when I bought my car at Carmax. They cut the original key on a regular blank key. The key allows you to open the door, but it won't allow you to start the car. This is due to the Anti-theft system. You should be able to go to the dealer, give them the original, and they'll program the key as well as the remote for you.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GTO2050 hit it right on the head- if you have a key in the ign and turned- the remotes wont work. If your extra key was an immobilizer key, it was probably the wrong code or not programmed. Bring ALL your keys and ALL your remotes to the dealer and have him program them all to work. Make sure to check them before you leave!

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinions expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens