electric turbo/supercharging CLS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, being a Centrifugal design a bypass is not need but welcome. The bypass is not for bypassing air for low load cruising but for preventing compressor surge, boost backing out the compressor when the throttle is closed.

If a centrifugal design is used then air will flow by at low loads but will be restricted. So low speed mileage is reduced but top end power is gained.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The good news about this TurboDyne is that IHI has licensed the technology and will make TurboPac.. the bad news is that this Co is bone dry... no cash... so unless garret would licensce the tech and produce those TuroPac... it would a dying tech,...

One saver is the low cost Turbo Air... an ELectric Turbo in your CAI pipe...

Old 10-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Unless... when Turbo is "off" it would boost 0 bar... but still spinning to ensure 1bar... that is it the electric motor is still spinning at low current to keep the pressure to 1 bar.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

I have a turbo charged car and it does not take a few seconds to spin up. No it is not instantaneous and it is a small turbo a k03. It takes like 1 sec and just down shift and your golden. Also, all the turbos that I have seen run of exhaust gas and they have been built to work that way for a reason. I would love to see a cl turbocharged! but u would need to beef up the tranny
Old 10-28-2002, 08:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by leo Shpitalnik
I have a turbo charged car and it does not take a few seconds to spin up. No it is not instantaneous and it is a small turbo a k03. It takes like 1 sec and just down shift and your golden. Also, all the turbos that I have seen run of exhaust gas and they have been built to work that way for a reason. I would love to see a cl turbocharged! but u would need to beef up the tranny
Talking about how long it kaes to build full boost.

Nice VW b.t.w.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Any update??
Old 11-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by yjack
Any update??
Actually yes,

I have been on contact with a turbodyne sales rep. I've been trying to see if I can bring the $ down. Still $1400 at the moment. Soon as I'm settled into my new place in January I'll order the unit and install it. Along with some new tires

Figure during a month or two of talking he can persaude me to purchase it at a lower $

Also, after reading the comptech installation manual for the supercharger. I do believe I'm going to buy some additional goodies to tweak the unit.

Soon as I place the order in the next month or so, I'll post some pics of the unit...

EDIT:

I will also take the video cam to the local dyno place when I go. My CLS is in need of a O2 sensor now (pretty rough idle). So I'll get all of the little BS fixed before I dyno it.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:33 PM
go like hell

I'm personally not digging it cause you gotta put HUGE Alternator and a Huge battery(i'm talking like a semi battery) in CL-S(which equals more weight). and that's provided you don't have any major system. Plus with a Electric supercharger. when you "nail it" lets say it's 9 o clock at night and you got on your headlights on. and your bumping to you system. your lights will fad out and your music will cut out. they can say it will work on only a 12 volt battery but that's fine if you have nothing else running. To me If i had the money for a Supercharger I'd wait on the Jackson Racing S/C which someone suppose to be working on. I think that will be cheaper than the C/T
Old 11-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Water-S
I'm personally not digging it cause you gotta put HUGE Alternator and a Huge battery(i'm talking like a semi battery) in CL-S(which equals more weight). and that's provided you don't have any major system. Plus with a Electric supercharger. when you "nail it" lets say it's 9 o clock at night and you got on your headlights on. and your bumping to you system. your lights will fad out and your music will cut out. they can say it will work on only a 12 volt battery but that's fine if you have nothing else running. To me If i had the money for a Supercharger I'd wait on the Jackson Racing S/C which someone suppose to be working on. I think that will be cheaper than the C/T
The turbo im purchasing was designed to run on the stock electrical system. No need to upgrade the electrical system.

And a true 1000CCA battery would cover it for about $80.... Which is what I plan to do.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:30 PM
I hate the Mets

Please keep us updated!