ECU/PCM Question Part2?? Anyone? or Ogolden1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU/PCM Question Part2?? Anyone? or Ogolden1?

okay..So I'm a little confused on where the ECU/PCM is located..So is it located on the passenger side behind the radio...Underneath the carpeted area(where the passenger would rest there legs or feet)?

Ogolden1...I know you have the answer to this question?

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Piaa Solitare 001 Plasma Ion Yellow With Upgraded 55W Bulbs
Eibach Pro Kit
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
Dual 10"Infinity Kappa Series
MTX Amp Audio Thunder 302
My Type S
Old 06-01-2001, 09:54 PM
Oh...Behave!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it's down behind the radio console, mounted on the "hump" near the firewall - you actually have to bend down the carpet on BOTH sides (Right side of gas petal and left side of passenger's foot). There are connectors and a 10mm bolt on BOTH sides that MUST be removed! It is really easy and should take only about 5 mins!

Good Luck!

PS: Are you going to get it modded?

------------------
Red
Type S
So. Cal.
Dark Tint
18" Niche Bella 2-piece
Forged Aluminum Wheels
235/40/18 Sumo HTRZ II's
Jet Performance PCM Mod
Ram-Air CAI w/ K&N Filter
Removed Pre-muffler
Liquid Glass Finish
G-tech 0-60 in 6.1 secs
...Looks & feels faster!

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 06-01-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001, 10:02 PM
Racer

Thanks Ogolden1..You are the Man!!!

I will take a look at it today...I am going to get it modified like you did through Jet Performance...Okay, so I'm copying you.

Thanks for the help!

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Eibach Pro Kit
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
My Type S
Old 06-01-2001, 10:12 PM
Oh...Behave!

Good for you! ...You know that you have to send it to them, so you're going to be without "wheels" for a few days!

Also, I think you can save some $$$ by going thru St. Andres - www.standres.com - it's ~$50 bucks cheaper, but you should check on their shipping costs and compare VS going straight to JET!
P.S.- St Andres lists it as a Honda computer upgrade! Also tell them that you want the MAX (Stage Two) reprogramming possible!

UPDATE! - OK, I checked the shipping - it's $40.00, so you can only save ~$5.00 by going there! (if you are out of area)
THAT'S NOT WORTH IT! GO straight to JET!
For $299 it INCLUDES the shipping pack and you will get FASTER turn around. Plus you are dealing straight with them!

Don't forget to disconnect your ground battery cable before removing the PCM!

------------------
Red
Type S
So. Cal.
Dark Tint
18" Niche Bella 2-piece
Forged Aluminum Wheels
235/40/18 Sumo HTRZ II's
Jet Performance PCM Mod
Removed Pre-muffler
Liquid Glass Finish
G-tech 0-60 in 6.1 secs
...Looks & feels faster!

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 06-01-2001).]
Old 06-02-2001, 12:32 AM
Banned

What exactly does this mod do?

Thanks,
Jarod

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- 20% Llumar Charcoal Tint
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
- Solaris 9005 High Beams
Old 06-02-2001, 01:40 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jrod178:
What exactly does this mod do?

Thanks,
Jarod

</font>
It basically changes the timing and air fuel mixture ratio to optimize HP and torque.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 06-02-2001, 03:43 AM
Racer

Thanks Ogolden1...I am going to send the ECU the week of June 11...
This comming Wednesday, I am having the Comptech Exhaust, Headers, and AEM Pulley's installed, Jet said to do the mods first before sending the ECU..So I will wait until Monday June 11 to send it that way I can get it back the same week.

Oh by the way thanks for the advice of disconnecting the ground on the battery..I didn't think about that..

Again you prove to be the Man!!
Thanks for the help and I will let you know how everyhting works out..I'll be taking pictures of all my mods to post.

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Eibach Pro Kit
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
My Type S
Old 06-02-2001, 03:48 AM
Suzuka Master

You guys mentioned that it was a "Honda" unit. Did anyone ever tell you if it was CARB approved for the CLS in California.

I could see how the same computer would be shared between the Acura and Honda Accord. However, I wonder if Jet's claim about being 50 state legal applies to a Honda box that is going into an Acura.

Perhaps someone should ask. If it works out, and is CARB approved, they claim about 9-10 HP via timing, fuel-air, and Rev-limit removal.

Would you mind commenting on my comments and questions above?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-02-2001, 03:57 AM
Racer

I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out..I'm not to concerned about the carb approved myself (That's just me though)..but You do bring up an excellent point EricL....I will let you know what they tell me tomorrow.

Thanks for the advise as well!...
by the way..I'm still considering those Toyo Proxes they have a mean tread design and form what you said they have a good dry & wet performance.

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Eibach Pro Kit
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
My Type S
Old 06-02-2001, 04:06 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marioman:
I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out..I'm not to concerned about the carb approved myself (That's just me though)..but You do bring up an excellent point EricL....I will let you know what they tell me tomorrow.

Thanks for the advise as well!...
by the way..I'm still considering those Toyo Proxes they have a mean tread design and form what you said they have a good dry & wet performance.

</font>

Actually, the CARB approval wouldn't be so bad if it was easy to regress the unit back to stock on demand.

Let me know and thanks.

BTW -- I love the Toyo T1S Proxies. They rock in dry, wet, noise level (no squealing in hard turns), and they have nice turn-in with predictable break-away at their very high limit (wet or dry).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-06-2001, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Ok I just called St. Andres. They wanted $399 for the upgrade. Isnt that a bit much? WOudl it be better to go straight to JET?

Thanks,

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ogolden1:
Good for you! ...You know that you have to send it to them, so you're going to be without "wheels" for a few days!

Also, I think you can save some $$$ by going thru St. Andres - www.standres.com - it's ~$50 bucks cheaper, but you should check on their shipping costs and compare VS going straight to JET!
P.S.- St Andres lists it as a Honda computer upgrade! Also tell them that you want the MAX (Stage Two) reprogramming possible!

UPDATE! - OK, I checked the shipping - it's $40.00, so you can only save ~$5.00 by going there! (if you are out of area)
THAT'S NOT WORTH IT! GO straight to JET!
For $299 it INCLUDES the shipping pack and you will get FASTER turn around. Plus you are dealing straight with them!

Don't forget to disconnect your ground battery cable before removing the PCM!

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 07:41 PM
Racer

Go straight to jet..I just placed my order like an hour ago..they go for $299.99...and that includes the overnight shipping to you after they reprogram it.

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Eibach Pro Kit
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
My Type S
Old 06-06-2001, 07:45 PM
Drifting

marioman,

Thanks. Tell me how it goes.

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marioman:
Go straight to jet..I just placed my order like an hour ago..they go for $299.99...and that includes the overnight shipping to you after they reprogram it.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Are you going to dyno test before and after? Do they have a guarantee if you lose HP instead of gain?

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 07:57 PM
Racer

I'm not going to Dyno before..They recommend to do all your Mod's first in order to optimize the HP & torque gain..this is what they e mailed me to some questions I had:

In the upgrade package is a spec sheet you would fill out letting us know what has been done to the vehicle.

There is a lifetime warranty on the upgrade, unless you add more items after the initial program is done. In otherwords, do all the modifications first, then get the ecu done last.

Suggested retail on the upgrade package(65001) is $299.00.Return next day, in the US, shipping is included in the package price. This does not include Saturday delivery.

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Eibach Pro Kit
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
My Type S
Old 06-06-2001, 07:59 PM
Oh...Behave!

Trust me!... You DON'T lose HP!

I raced Eric (Blown331) - he has Headers and CAI! He ONLY beat me by 1 car length at 80 mph! And, I pulled harder at low rpm than him - we were pretty even at 60 mph!

$399 from St. Andres...WHAT? I paid $245! (A cash "deal", 1 yr ago!) GO directly with JET!
Tell them to MAX the setting!

------------------
Red
Type S
So. Cal.
Dark Tint
18" Niche Bella 2-piece
Forged Aluminum Wheels
235/40/18 Sumo HTRZ II's
Jet Performance PCM Mod
Removed Pre-muffler
Liquid Glass Finish
G-tech 0-60 in 6.1 secs
...Looks & feels faster!

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Ogolden1,

Put those comptech headers on and I'll still beat at 80 or 100 MPH with that Jet chip of yours. You had a major advantage with sticky tires of yours. They hooked at the line, while our stock tires suck for launching. That's why I was only quarter trottle of the gas at the launch when I raced you. If I had tires like you did, then I would have turned off VSA, heated the tires, and then raced you.
Anyways, I have friends that have sued JET Chip for false advertisments and won!!! Jet chip didn't want their product or name tainted, so they gave him his full refund back. At G-Force they have tested the Jet chip and found that it is the stock chip with a sticker. G-Force dynod tested the Jet chip to see how their competition was doing and just laughed at the results. If you don't believe me speak to Tadashi at G-Force #310-782-8278. I'll let him tell that they have taken one of those JET chips apart and all they found was the original serial numbers on the chip scratched off with a Jet Chip sticker applied over the scrathes. For those that intend to spend the money on a chip, I suggest that you get in writing that if there are no improvements using a dyno test that you get your full refund! No questions asked! G-Force is a well known Import chip tuner for many Japanese import cars and they are always fixing Jet Chips F**k ups. Don't believe me... just call them.

P.S.

Ogolden1,

If you wanna race me... meet me at LACR (Los Angeles County Raceway) on Friday night. It's Grudge Night and you race what you bring. I'll leave my stock tires on for you.

BLOWN 331

[This message has been edited by BLOWN 331 (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 09:27 PM
Instructor

marioman,

Dyno your car after putting on your headers and CAI so that you have a base line. Then send your ECU to get chipped. After installing your chipped ECU dyno it again at the same place to get a comparable reading of improvements. It cost more money to dyno your car but at least you will know if it help the performance of your car instead of saying "yeah it pulls harder." It's hard to tell in these cars, because they accelerate to smoothly. If their are no improvements tell them you want your money back!!!

BLOWN 331

Old 06-06-2001, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I spoke to Hondata and they said the same thing about Jet.

****The difference in our scenario is that Jet is flashing our existing chip and NOT replacing it.

Mario, for the sake of the board pls get a baseline dyno w/h&e and another dyno after the chip has been installed. We would be forever indebted to you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BLOWN 331:
Ogolden1,

Anyways, I have friends that have sued JET Chip for false advertisments and won!!! Jet chip didn't want their product or name tainted, so they gave him his full refund back. At G-Force they have tested the Jet chip and found that it is the stock chip with a sticker. G-Force dynod tested the Jet chip to see how their competition was doing and just laughed at the results. If you don't believe me speak to Tadashi at G-Force #310-782-8278. I'll let him tell that they have taken one of those JET chips apart and all they found was the original serial numbers on the chip scratched off with a Jet Chip sticker applied over the scrathes. For those that intend to spend the money on a chip, I suggest that you get in writing that if there are no improvements using a dyno test that you get your full refund! No questions asked! G-Force is a well known Import chip tuner for many Japanese import cars and they are always fixing Jet Chips F**k ups. Don't believe me... just call them.

P.S.

Ogolden1,

If you wanna race me... meet me at LACR (Los Angeles County Raceway) on Friday night. It's Grudge Night and you race what you bring. I'll leave my stock tires on for you.

BLOWN 331

</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Got some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL
Old 06-06-2001, 10:01 PM
Drifting

From now on..Im dynoing everything. I would love to see a dyno before I buy a jet chip though.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Marioman,

Find a dyno shop that charges for four runs and ask them if you can to two run now and credit two runs later. That way you won't have the cost of two dyno sessions. Some shops here in LA do that. Well, gotta go now my fifth row Laker's seat are waiting for me.

BLOWN 331
Old 06-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Mike,

Hondata and G-Force share the same building and work hand in hand with each other. Actually they are the same company. One just deals with strictly Honda and G-Force tunes other cars such as Twin Turbo Supras, Skylines, Mitsubushi's, etc. By the way, flashing a chip in the industry is called a "BAND-AID Chip." I'll explain later gotta go.

BLOWN 331

Old 06-06-2001, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Blown, thanks for the input.

One of the owners of Hondata (Doug? b4 they were bought out) looked at my car during a dyno session. It was the first CL he'd seen and they hadn't reverse engineered the chip yet. Most of their work has been manual w/OBDI civic and tegs. Doug said they might have something for the CL in 6 months and that was ~1.5 months ago but who knows if they've even started on it yet.
Old 06-07-2001, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Mike,

G-Force has tired to acquire the actual chip that is in our CLS, but the manufacture Oki will not sell the chip to anyone but American Honda Corporation. They know if it were to get in some tuners hand there would be damaged engines coming into dealerships for warranty engine work. To alleviate that problem American Honda Corp. has prohibited these chips to racing manufactures at this time. (If someone has access to these chips let me know. We can make some big bucks!)

These chips in our CLS's I'm told are OBD 2 and are virtually tamper proof, which is why other tuners say that little or no horsepower is gained from flashing these types of chips. They are burned and can not be changed. A new programmed has to be developed and then burned in these chips to be done correctly and safely. G-Force I believe reverse engineers the chip the see the actual plot points of timing and fuel and then they determine what can be done to improve the power curves. This is the best method for programming a performance chip and I would wait for G-Force's Product. By the way, G-Force will be moving in the future to house their own dyno meter and to do testing on cars right on the spot. What better way to test a product in front of a customers eyes and show them that it really works.

I'm suppose to give Tadashi at G-Force a call in regards to the Oki chip in about 2 months. When I hear something about the chip I'll e-mail you. I personally think it's going to be a while before these chips are attainable.

BLOWN 331
Old 06-07-2001, 03:01 PM
Racer

Great info Blown, thanks!

God damn Lakers, wtf!

Anyway, I have had the same shitty experience with JET. My friend had a Dodge Neon and had the chip upgrade done, and he swore that all they did was put a sticker on the ECU as well. The chip was supposed to raise the rev limiter, and that is the only way he knew for sure that nothing was done internally because the limiter did not change. ITS EASY TO BE FOOLED THAT YOUR CAR IS FASTER BECAUSE YOUR WALLET IS LIGHTER, BUT JET PERFORMANCE IS A SCAM!

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
AeM cAi
Old 06-07-2001, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
im not to sure about jet either i mean they make domestic stuff ...as far as a chip id say there's plenty of typeS chips avail just check out all the pics of the junked /wrecked ones...how hard could it be to snag one of those???and what about the article in this months turbo on how hondata hacked hondas hexadecimle code???just the obdI????

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-07-2001, 04:31 PM
Instructor

SJ Silver Type S,

It was only game one. Now that it is out of their system that they are not going to sweep the Sixers they can play Laker ball. As for the information on performance chips, not a problem. I would hate to spend money on something that can not be backed up by some sort of substantial proof.

TypeR,

Junkyards or wreaking yards know what these electronic computers are worth and charge a lot of money for them. They wouldn't just sell you the chip, because it is soldered on the motherboard. They would sell you the complete system because it would worthless with that chip missing. You wouldn't want that chip anyway because it can not be reformatted with a performance program.

BLOWN 331

Old 06-07-2001, 06:20 PM
Rod
Drifting

Junkyards or wreaking yards know what these electronic computers are worth and charge a lot of money for them. They wouldn't just sell you the chip, because it is soldered on the motherboard. They would sell you the complete system because it would worthless with that chip missing. You wouldn't want that chip anyway because it can not be reformatted with a performance program.

</font>
Couldn't they buy the whole system from a wrecked car then ? I'm sure the profits would justify this expense.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Rod,

You would still be buying a burned chip. You need a blank chip to input a performance program, which are not available at this time.

BLOWN 331
Old 06-07-2001, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Rod,

You would still be buying a burned chip. You need a blank chip to input a performance program, which are not available at this time.

BLOWN 331
Old 06-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Rod,

BLOWN 331
</font>
ah i got ya

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list