Dumping the CL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:10 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumping the CL?

Being a new owner of a CL I just can't understand why Acura is deleting the CL...is there a newer 2 door lux coupe on the horizion? When I look at all the bitchen CL's here it makes me wonder why they don't keep it around. While 4 doors are becoming more accepted hot rodded..they will never replace the look of a coupe,IMO......I guess the numbers rule and folks are buying more sedans....oh well....

What do you think...is it gone forever?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Racer

Re: Dumping the CL?

Originally posted by sixfingers
Being a new owner of a CL I just can't understand why Acura is deleting the CL...is there a newer 2 door lux coupe on the horizion. When I look at all the bitchen CL's here it makes me wonder why they don't keep it around. While 4 doors are becoming more accepted hot rodded..they will never replace the look of a coupe....! IMO I guess the numbers rule and folks are buying more sedans....oh well
It's all about expectations and sells. When Acura introduced the 01 CL/S they boldly said it would knock the BMW 3 series off the top of the hill. Needless to say history has shown differently. Now not only does Acura have egg on their corporate face, but their supposed class leading car (CL/S) is no more and the 3 series is further entrenched as number one in class.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't see Acura not having a coupe in it's lineup.

When Acura dropped the Integra, they replaced it w/ the RSX (for the integra coupe) and the TSX (for the integra sedan). It seems that Acura likes having a full lineup. There has been rumors of an Acura version of the s2000, which would add a convertible to the lineup.

Soopa keeps reminding us that there was no MY 2000 CL. The 1st gen CL went away, and there was no CL in 2000, and then, and then... The 2001 CLS came out w/ 260 hp, and blew everyone away.

When I was first doing my research into buying a used CLS, I noticed that there wasn't a 2000 model year offered. It's something that alot of us seem to forget, but helps the argument that a new CL could be offered later after a breif haitus from the lineup.

Acura may suprise us and reintroduce the CL at a later date (MY2005-2006 ??). Nobody really knows for sure except tightlipped Acura.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

I’m confident that some form of Acura luxury coupe will be back in a couple of years when I’m ready to upgrade.
I’m in no rush right now and would PREFER they took their time and got it right.

Shawn S
Old 05-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Banned

on the flip side of that coin, acura may bow-out of the 2 door sport luxury market.....its previous CL was supposed to be all great, and it came with a measly 4 banger or a weak 3.0 v6. additionally, its styling was less than stellar and to some, just looked odd (i never got over that weird slope of the trunk) so acura killed the CL, went back to the drawing board, and started from SCRATCH.

the 2nd gen CL was supposed to be "done right" it was supposed to be "the best in its segment" which, in many ways, it IS the best in its segment.

its got a balls to the wall 260 hp motor that up until just a few months ago was WELL above any of its competitors, it had a very stylish and well laid out interior, much better than the 1st gen CL, it had a (at the time) top of the line navigation DVD system that blew away the competition, it was one of the first, if not THE first car in its class to come stock with 17" rims. it was an incredible bang for the buck, and the addition of the 6 speed was for some people, just icing on the cake.

The 2nd Gen CL was Acura's VALIANT attempt to make its mark on the sport/luxury coupe market..and really, it was a hell of an improvement over its predecesor....yet...it still failed, just like its ill fated previous generation. The 2nd gen CL built on EVERY SINGLE shortfall of the first gen CL and quite simply, can not be beat in its segment by anything with a compareable price...yet it still FAILED.

Acura may just say fuck it and bow out of the segment because no matter what it does, a 2 door luxury/sport coupe DOES NOT SELL.

the G35C is selling like fucking hotcakes, and even at a premium price of about 5-10k more than an equally equipped CL-S. wonder why??

because its got aggressive styling (which acura doesnt do), its got alot of balls (acura comes close, but no cigar)
its got RWD (acura will never do)
its LOVED and applauded by all car mags and all reviewers everywhere (which the CL never was mostly due to the above-mentioned differences)

short of making AWD or RWD and getting VERY aggressive with the styling and engine power, (which we know acura wont do and is not known for) another acura sport lux coupe will be destined to fail. there just isnt the market for such a thing. its been proven by every month of sales reports since the very first 1st gen CL rolled off the line in 1996.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:29 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
You forget about the Acura coupe that paved the way for the CL. The Legend Coupes. These cars were very successful and are still sought after, so it's not so much Acura coupes, but the CL model itself which is why coupe lovers look elsewhere now. I think it's also the CL name which has to be overcome. Once people saw the first 97 CL, that pretty much settled in people's minds what kind of coupes Acura was now making. The CL was such a departure from the Legend Coupes that many coupe drivers never considered Acura again. Only some buyers and diehard Acura coupe lovers bought into the CL coupe, it's rep was set with the first CL and never was overcome.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
you said bitchen
Old 05-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’m confident that some form of Acura luxury coupe will be back in a couple of years when I’m ready to upgrade.
I’m in no rush right now and would PREFER they took their time and got it right.

Shawn S
Well put, Shawn! I just paid my 03 CLS6 off, took six months to pay off a four year loan (with excruciating pain, I can now afford steak again.)

I know you are a long term owner, but I get itchy if I do not have the latest model of our great car. You led the way for us about this fine car. I hope I can repay that favor by being one of the first to report on whatever replacement comes for the CL in 2006, or better yet, 2005.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:53 PM
East Coast Boost.!

This is like the topic of the week. It's been posted a couple times already.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Just an F.Y.I.
The TL Type-S is almost exactly identical in all specs with our CL Type-S'
Same engine
Same Tranny
Same gross weight within a few pounds
Same length/width within a fraction of an inch
Interior volume only one cubic foot less in the CL!
Basically, the CL-S is the 2-door version of the TL-S.
But, to the CL's advantage
Better bucket seats
17 inch rims
Better styling, especially the tail end.. IMO
I believe the CL is dead for now. That's why I had to get my 2003 aegean blue CL-S! It may, or may not come back in another form for 2005/6 or beyond. I don't want to speculate, and I can't wait that long for a maybe! I wanted my CL-S now and got it!
Old 05-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Daily Driver

For most folks, a coupe should be aggresively stylish, and usually a bit smaller than a sedan. In today's market, if you need the bigger cars and want back seat room, you get 4 doors and usually don't give up much in performance. If you want a smaller one, you give up a bit of size (a la the 350Z or G35C) and get even better performance. The CL is kinda niche in that regard, too large to be a sport coupe, not enough doors for most folks that want something bigger.

It was just the niche I wanted, since I only have 1 car, but not a big enough niche to sell as many as they wanted to sell.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

I agree with Aegen_Blue6.. The CL-S has just the niche I was looking for. I'm no newbie to Acura products. Bought new a 1994 GS-R back in summer 1993. Then an 2002 RSX Type-S in summer 2001. Now my 2003 CL-S! I'm loving it! For the price it's definitely got the best bang for the $. Near luxury amanities, ride, comfort, power, sport, etc.. Plus easily modifiable.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Racer

I'm kinda liking the exclusivity we're gonna have. It's nice to know there won't be a new body style making mine look old, at least not until I'm ready to buy again. I love my CL-S. There's till nothing that can compete with it for lux/performance/price
Old 05-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Racer

jimcol, Acura can produce the NSX! So we know that a great coupe can be conceived. My two cents is that Acura screwed up the automatic transmissions in the CL-S and must create a new car to differentiate from the old car. I am sorry, but once you have had a tranny failure, it does leave a bad taste in your mouth; and the ten other people that you tell about it. Yeah, this does get old!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

CL-S 6-speed is an awesome car. I like the speed, the style (which is more classy), the interior room, leather, xenon headlamps, etc. Everyone that gets into my car leaves lovin' it. They are amazed on the power, the interior, and the red S.

I am not pissed because the car is being discontinued. The opposite, I am happy that my car will be known as the one of the 2700 CLS 6-speed ever built. And i don't need to worry about a new model coming soon. I hope it will turn to be a legend, yeah, like the Acura Legend Coupe 6-speed.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2003, 11:29 PM
The Professor

Legend for Life

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
You forget about the Acura coupe that paved the way for the CL. The Legend Coupes. These cars were very successful and are still sought after,
Nichole, the beautiful ...the Legend:

Click here if the above image doesn't show
Old 05-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Banned

The CLS didn't sell because its FWD IMHO! I don't think its because coupes are becomming less popular than sedans at all. Look at the G35C, the new class leader. It came out just as the CLS sales were almost non existent, yet it became a HOT HOT seller. Looking at the car, I'd say infiniti(or should I say nissan) did their Homework. They really mirrored the 330CI perfectly, then 1uped it in certain areas:

-Its got 280HP/270TQ--> most in class
- near perfect 50/50 wieght distrib.
- RWD
- Flashy exterior styling(like all nissans of late)
- 6 speed MT available right away(2003)

when you pluck down 30k+ for a luxury sport coupe, people want a car that will accelerate, and HANDLE great, in extreme situations! I'm not trying to start another nissan flame thread, just saying look at the competition thats succeding where honda failed, and learn from their product! These days, acura is quick to yell "bimmer beater" with each of their new cars like the TSX, and I laugh because you have to first start with a RWD chasis. if not then saying "we are going after BMW"- is really shooting yourself in the foot! a few years ago infiniti swore they were going after BMW, and stated that by 2004 all their cars will be either RWD/AWD. They also said they would put an end to rebadging, and axed the I35/G20/QX45(rebadged pathfinder or whatever). They are the company IMHO, poised to break away from lexus/acura, and follow the leader- BMW/MERC. In order for acura to be successful, they must follow this same formula

END OF RANT
Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I'm shooting from the hip here but something just came to me. Rumors are going around that the NSX is getting a V8 soon. What if that DOES happen...what do you think the odds are that Acura will put the NSX's retired 3.5liter into a mid-engine, RWD "baby"-NSX? You would have the power and aggressiveness that people have been begging for...and Acura has most of the technology already available...maybe slap a $40K sticker on it. I'd buy one.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:37 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by zamo
CL-S 6-speed is an awesome car. I like the speed, the style (which is more classy), the interior room, leather, xenon headlamps, etc. Everyone that gets into my car leaves lovin' it. They are amazed on the power, the interior, and the red S.

I am not pissed because the car is being discontinued. The opposite, I am happy that my car will be known as the one of the 2700 CLS 6-speed ever built. And i don't need to worry about a new model coming soon. I hope it will turn to be a legend, yeah, like the Acura Legend Coupe 6-speed.

Cheers
Ditto, bring back the Legend. I think Acura started making the 6 speed CL because buyers requested it, then they didn't sell any.
Or, you can have the best of both worlds
Old 05-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraFan
Ok, I'm shooting from the hip here but something just came to me. Rumors are going around that the NSX is getting a V8 soon.
I don't know anything about the NSX rumors, but I do believe part of the CL's problems stem from the NSX's aging technology.

Acura couldn't up the Hp on the CLS ($30K, 260hp) to the NSX level ($90K, 290hp) without making the NSX look underpowered and overpriced.

I'm sure that Acura could come up with a BMW 3 series killer that was a non-v8, FWD car (see the silver SEMA SC'ed CL), but they need to update the NSX before they can do that, or run the risk of hurting NSX sales (they sold 31 last month http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/corp/...s(r)_text.html )

I think that Acura is starting to show some signs of life tho'. With the intro of the RSX, TSX, and redesigned TL, it looks like they are refreshing their lineup. Next up, the RL, NSX and hopefully further down the road a CLS

I'm planning on keeping my car for at least 4 or 5 years, so hopefully Acura will have something for me to buy when the time comes (i.e. another coupe).
Old 05-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by greenmonster
I don't know anything about the NSX rumors, but I do believe part of the CL's problems stem from the NSX's aging technology.
When I test drove the TSX a couple weeks ago the sales guy said the NSX is getting a V8 (no "might" but "is"). Now, I'm just discounting it as a a rumor but it's something anyway. Hopefully, this will help thrust the NSX into the spotlight with the Modena and other high performance exotics.

Now, I'm just imagining this "baby"-NSX...or "CSX" and I think it would be great. The 290hp would knock the socks off of a Boxster S and be more exotic looking for less $$$. Well, I can dream anyway.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:11 PM
5th Gear

First off I did say bitchen...:o that is good, no that means cool and unusual...
I appologize for the repeat of an old topic. I did a search and came up empty. Anyway, acura is touting the TSX these days... its wimpy, no lux....
But all in all the Acura CL is not a 3 series beemer. Its a different player, in both price and feel BMW330i @ $41,000.00..didn't ride as smooth, was slower and noisier. The Acura was a better car in many ways for less deniros. The beemer handled better, but at a price....comfort. I ruled it out.

Yes the G35 is hot...a person where I work has a black coupe..it looks very very cool, but inside feels typically Nissanish and personally where I live I will take FWD over RWD anyday for an all year ride, winters work better with FWD. Acura has nair a FWD steer torque compared to even my wife 03 Accord V6...Also noted IMO the Nissan 3.5 L V6 is noisy compared to the VTEC....

So bottom line what will they replace it with????

Keep us wondering, won't they....There's a new CLX Type R coming