Drove the new 6-SPEED VTEC Accord Coupe today

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove the new 6-SPEED VTEC Accord Coupe today

Wow, it was great. The engine/transmission was an outstanding combo, 240 vtec, 6 cylinder, lower weight. Fast, smooth, pulled hard in every gear. Sure the car is a little geeky but it's the best setup Honda has ever offered in a 4 passenger car. I loved driving it, it felt more comfortable than the CLS too somehow, maybe it was the seat. Dealers will only get one a month or so. I didn't drive highway but it hit 50 really fast. I need to drive a CLS 6speed again to compare. It's hard to get too excited about an Accord but the engine/trans were top notch! Fast,smooth, and powerful.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Re: Drove the new 6-SPEED VTEC Accord Coupe today

Originally posted by 95LegendCoupe
Wow, it was great. The engine/transmission was an outstanding combo, 240 vtec, 6 cylinder, lower weight. Fast, smooth, pulled hard in every gear. Sure the car is a little geeky but it's the best setup Honda has ever offered in a 4 passenger car. I loved driving it, it felt more comfortable than the CLS too somehow, maybe it was the seat. Dealers will only get one a month or so. I didn't drive highway but it hit 50 really fast. I need to drive a CLS 6speed again to compare. It's hard to get too excited about an Accord but the engine/trans were top notch! Fast,smooth, and powerful.
I think the coupe body looks nice. The back of it is similar to the CL and S-class. But the 6-speed of it is even nicer!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Certified Lurker

The thing is ugly as sin.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
how would it fair against a stock 2001 cl-s at?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rondog
how would it fair against a stock 2001 cl-s at?
i would say dead even considering the Accord weighs 200lbs less and the sedan puts out almost the same output on a dyno as the auto-cls:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=2

Old 02-15-2003, 06:09 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Really fuckkin ugly car.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Homeless

The coupe looked good with the SEMA kit in Sport Compact Car. It was yellow with black accents. Very nice.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

i test drove the at v6 one a while back i like how the seats held you , but werent constricting like the 03- CLS (mom has one)
Old 02-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

Re: Drove the new 6-SPEED VTEC Accord Coupe today

Originally posted by 95LegendCoupe
Old 02-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Suzuka Master

anybody have the gear ratio numbers comparing the
accord coupe 6spd vs. CLS-6?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:41 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KavexTrax
anybody have the gear ratio numbers comparing the
accord coupe 6spd vs. CLS-6?
6spd ratios should be the same in both

the 5spd slushbox in the Accord has shorter 4th & 5th gears compared to the CL/TL
Old 02-16-2003, 07:55 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Let's not kid ourselves here--every indication in every magazine is that the 6 speed Accord is running about 14.5 in the 1/4 mile which is significantly faster than any stock CLS automatic and right up there if not better than most of the 6 speeders here.

Sad for us.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Advanced

I went to look at Accord Coupes as I'm still looking for a car to replace my CL-S. The pictures on the net looked OK, so I figured I'd give it a shot. The dealership had about 30 of them parked close together in the lot so I had a good look at them to say the least.

My gut feeling was

Then it turned to as I wanted to the designers that created this butt-ugly car. The 6th gen looks so much better it is a shame. I did not even ask for a test drive since I knew I would never buy this car. I don't give a rat's ass how fast the thing is. Speed is not everything. If the car makes me park two blocks away from a bar because I don't want people seeing what I drive, I ain't getting it. I know some folks like the new look, so maybe it appeals to the younger generation. (I'm 30)

Maybe Honda was trying to compete with the new Maxima on all levels (power and Ugly looks)?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

How much of a difference is there between the clutch feel in the new Accord compared the the CL-S?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:24 AM
What, me drive fast?

New accord coupe:
front end=fugly
back end=pretty nice IMO

Overall: CL-S is a better looking car.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:51 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by JZ
Let's not kid ourselves here--every indication in every magazine is that the 6 speed Accord is running about 14.5 in the 1/4 mile which is significantly faster than any stock CLS automatic and right up there if not better than most of the 6 speeders here.

Sad for us.
So what..its a fukkin Accord...
Old 02-16-2003, 11:30 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1killercls
So what..its a fukkin Accord...
I'm not sure that argument pans out. The Accord gets a lot of looks from people I know and with all of the available accessories you can get on it you can really make it into a good looking ride. Plus, the new interior is pretty nice in my opinion.

And, sadly enough, it's faster than the CLS.

But, clearly this means if there ever is another CL it will run about 14.1-14.2 in the 1/4 mile to be a step ahead of the Accord.

Wouldn't it be nice if Acura gave us just a little bit of info. on their upcoming cars. It almost seems like poor marketing since the suggestion that a new Acura will be coming out at a specific time might keep some people from buying a current model to see what the new Acura will be like first.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Instructor

The new Accord is
Old 02-16-2003, 12:03 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by JZ
I'm not sure that argument pans out. The Accord gets a lot of looks from people I know and with all of the available accessories you can get on it you can really make it into a good looking ride. Plus, the new interior is pretty nice in my opinion.

And, sadly enough, it's faster than the CLS.

But, clearly this means if there ever is another CL it will run about 14.1-14.2 in the 1/4 mile to be a step ahead of the Accord.

Wouldn't it be nice if Acura gave us just a little bit of info. on their upcoming cars. It almost seems like poor marketing since the suggestion that a new Acura will be coming out at a specific time might keep some people from buying a current model to see what the new Acura will be like first.
Being fast is not the whole reason I buy a certain car. To me the Accord says "Middle of the Road" of "Limited Coolness Factor" as where My dropped CL S w/18's says "PHAT". So in light of that...To me the Accord is still just a fukking ACCORD. But to each there own...
Old 02-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1killercls
So what..its a fukkin Accord... [/QUOTE

Aye man give the accord some respect. They are basically the same motor as your CL (all J series). Just that CL is more luxury.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

If you can say an accord is just an accord, then i can just say a CL is a honda, just in a different shell.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

so, after driving it - are you gonna give us a report on clutch feel? I'm curious to see if its as light as the 6spd CL...
Old 02-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 6BaNgeR
If you can say an accord is just an accord, then i can just say a CL is a honda, just in a different shell.
so when did the accord get 3.2 liters, vsa, xenons, etc, etc. etc.?

it's a litte more than a different shell.

oh, and we can upgrade our headers...the new accords CAN'T!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 07:33 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,617 Posts
and if the new accord came out with acura emblems on it and a different name youd all be whacking off over yourselves to at least drive one. deny it all you want.

if you dont like the car, thats cool, thats your opinion. but go sit in one first, drive one. if nothing else the seats alone are very impressive.

I mean at least give the accord some credit, it is after all the CL's older brother.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:43 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by sarlacc23
and if the new accord came out with acura emblems on it and a different name youd all be whacking off over yourselves to at least drive one. deny it all you want.

if you dont like the car, thats cool, thats your opinion. but go sit in one first, drive one. if nothing else the seats alone are very impressive.

I mean at least give the accord some credit, it is after all the CL's older brother.
Drop the graffix dude...this is my last Honda/Acura product...its a New M3 for me next time.

(Been driving Hondas since 87)
Old 02-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Drop the graffix dude...this is my last Honda/Acura product...its a New M3 for me next time.

I give it credit the car runs quite impressive for being a 3.0 liter Finally honda can represent at the drags instead of the Civics and Integras it was starting to get old . Im waiting to see what mods will be available for the car and its quite unfortunate that the headers can not be upgraded. I will agree that the earlier gen. looked much better but coming from a CL-S im looking at M3 or Vette
Old 02-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Instructor

All I'm saying is it was fun to drive and pulled hard and effortlessly. SHift feel was kind of light but it shifted smooth and short and I liked the smaller shifter knob a lot, it felt great. No it's not as luxo as the CLS but it's the most loaded Honda I've ever been in. The sticker price is high, $27k I think. At $25k or less it would be a real steal IMO.
As fun to drive as my old Prelude and has more features, vtec, 6 cylinder, and a real back seat. THe front is even more generic than previous models, but the back is sportier. I'm not crazy about the look, but the package and the engine/shifter were top rank for any level car.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Instructor

i like it...quit hatin cause its faster than the cls!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:01 AM
5th Gear

Originally posted by mrdeeno
so when did the accord get 3.2 liters, vsa, xenons, etc, etc. etc.?

it's a litte more than a different shell.

oh, and we can upgrade our headers...the new accords CAN'T!!!
But the CL-S doesn't have the voice activated navi so hah! :P.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:30 AM
Suzuka Master

man this thread is getting ridiculous

we should be bashing maximas 3 series a4 and is300s

lets not pick on the cousin car anymore! the accord is not bad at all and if you were looking for a car in that price range what would get? a camry, altima, maxima, mazda 6, or accord???

IMO the new accord looks good but not great. the last gen had a killer look but i think as time goes on most of you will like it more and more.

remember without the accord there would not be our beloved cl!!!!!!!!!

sidemarker
Old 02-17-2003, 09:39 AM
10th Gear

Hold on. The Accord isn't necessarily faster. I raced a new blacked out accord coupe (auto) with temp plates. It was a crazy chick driving who was driving out of her mind. I probably wouldn't have raced her reckless ass but I wanted to see what it would do. First time she was on my ass in traffic, 2 lanes and I went around a car in front of me with her behind me, as soon as we were both around she punched it next to me at about 45. I barely pulled on her to about 70 then we hit traffic in front and she about ran into the back of a car. Went through traffic again, I came up to a light (red) and got over to the left lane to let her get on the line with me. I even gave up the slightly inside lane to race her off the line. We rolled off the line (I waited for her to floor it to really see what it could do) and we both hit it about 15 mph. I pulled very very slightly to 50, she held even from 50 to 75-80. She got caught in traffic and thats it. Her car probably wasn't broken in but she had the inside lane so that probably canceled that out. The CLS just looks a little more finished and meatier. I wish they would have had a car like the new accord when I was in college. My 2 year old 944 Turbo was a money pit and the accord runs about the same.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by LiQUid
But the CL-S doesn't have the voice activated navi so hah! :P.
right, so you are defending my point.

the cl-s is NOT an accord w/ a different shell as 6banger posted.

Originally posted by phat32
like it...quit hatin cause its faster than the cls!!!
is this auto vs. auto, or manual vs. manual?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:16 AM
The hair says it all

i think its alright. For 27k its hard to beat. Its nice on the inside and all you haters: its not an acura....thats why....it....doesn't say acura....
anyway, ill see if i can drive it sometime soon
Old 02-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

This is silly....

As goes the Accord, so follows the CL/TL. Key word: follows

See, the CL/TL is based on the accord, so it follows that with each significant change in the Accord platform, we will eventually see a similar change in the CL/TL as well.

The CL/TL builds on what Accord started and makes it better, albeit more expensive. When the expense of some of the goodies comes down, they filter into the Accord (navi, 6sp, etc).

Structural and genetic similarities aside, the Accord is, was and forever shall be, a relatively plain, boring and uninteresting car. It's a good car, lots of things people like, but little character.

New accord: I wouldn't buy it for myself with your money, but that's just me.

Next Accord-based CL: I'm interested.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Stock03CLS

New accord: I wouldn't buy it for myself with your money, but that's just me.

Next Accord-based CL: I'm interested.
this makes you a badge buyer!!! I don't know why acura didn't rebadge the accord coupe as a ERX or something, so you guys can drool, and shit your pants! :P
Old 02-17-2003, 03:17 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Haha. Now there's a problem-free automobile

You might as well just get on the list today to get your engine replaced.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:10 PM

I guess Honda is working their magic as the new Accord Coupe was built some to get old Prelude owners to buy this car (since they discontinued the Lude). But for real, this car is an Accord, I.E. reliable transportation and as stylish as cupholder. And reading the reviews, it would make 99% of the owners happy in daily driving. If you want a sporty FWD car, I'd go with a RSX than an Accord. And the Accord and CL are the same thing basically so stop knocking the Accord.

But honestly, this car is pretty ugly cupholder. The last 3 generation coupes looked so much better. The interior is OUTSTANDING though, embarresing more expensive cars.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
And the Accord and CL are the same thing basically so stop knocking the Accord.

the accord and the CL are NOT the same thing, basically.

that is like saying the MDX is the same as an Odysey, basically...so can MDX owners knock the Odysey if they want?

or an RX300 and camry is the same thing, basically...so can RX300 buyers knock the camry if they want?

or clk and c-class is the same thing, basically...so can clk buyers knock the c-class (especially the c-coupe) if they want?

or a TT and beetle is the same thing, basically..so can TT buyers knock the beetle if they want?

on the other hand, an i35 and a maxima IS the same thing, basically because it's just a different badge and SOME sheetmetal.
everything that is internal and counts is the same. The only thing I35 buyers can knock is the styling of the maxima.

and i'm sure the current CL is more different from the NEW accord than the previous generation accord, so the CL owners can knock accords as much as they want, and the other way around too.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
The new Accord, in my opinion, isn't as great looking as the previous generation Accord bone stock . I'm not biased since I own a 2000. However with the stock 17s that come with it, the factory body kit (not offered for some stupid reason with the CL-S), the spoiler, and a drop; I think the car looks great. Plus with that tranny/motor combo you kill 2 birds with one stone. You're not slow with the shitty auto tranny we all hate and we don't have to worry about modding the car and blowing the tranny. You CL-S6 guys know what I'm talkin about. Here's an example of what could be.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Safety Car

Really fuckkin ugly car.
Stock. but with a classy body kit and 19 inch wheels, it should look dope!

Quick Reply: Drove the new 6-SPEED VTEC Accord Coupe today