DRL Now Possible On ANY Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DRL Now Possible On ANY Car

I searched for a while to run DRL on my CL for a couple of reasons: 1. It's more visible 2. I like how it looks. You can even run LED hi-beam bulbs if you don't like the yellow-tinted color.

Anyways I will be doing this mod sometime in the future, but I am too caught up with my current project + school. I will create a DIY specifically for our vehicles if it hasn't been done by the time I get to it. Good luck

Anyways, no credit goes to me but here it is:
Guide: http://alavigne.net/Motorsports/Feat.../DRL/index.jsp
Where to buy: http://www.puma-access.com/index.php...roducts_id=207
Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive always hated DRL's and AHL's - I went through the trouble of deleting them on my old car --- but the high beams on the CL probably wouldnt look so bad...
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Advanced

I just keep my lights on all the time.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think im going to give this a shot. I had modified my roadlamps to fit into my high beams a while back using the PIAA ion bulbs but they were not very visible. I think a bright yellow DRL would look very sexy. Here is a pic of my old setup

They were not actually this visible, i had time exposure on my camera
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
140,000 miles young

I don't think LEDs would be bright enough to be noticeable during the day, defeating their purpose as DRLs, but I could be wrong. I do like the yellow setup.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i have DRL's (canadian car), and while it is good to have, if you don't care about your high beams then go ahead and do it (with some other bulb)

otherwise, just run parking lights 24/7. i put some HIR bulbs ($25 per) and i didn't even think about how they would burn out faster. those are some pretty expensive bulbs to be burning; if i had OEM bulbs in there, i wouldn't care as much.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Something a little closer to home which might be of interest to some consider DIY DRLs:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=drl%2A
Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Unregistered user

leaving your parking lights on or turning on your headlights in that matter will also turn on your taillights....

this module will give you TRUE drl. it will turn on once you put your ignition to ON, they will turn off once you turn on ur headlights. they run 60% power so it doesn't blind anyone. The total price for this project is about less than $100
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
drl =

Any car I get I better be able to disable them.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Unregistered user

also that thread from the TL side, i read it and a lot of people are having problems with that product. Some guy had it for 1-2 years and had it replaced 3 times already. anyways the 3rd gen tl uses a positive charge while the cl uses a negative charge but a link on that thread has instructions for that as well.

Anyways, its a preference and you can make a kill switch.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

if you're truly considering DRL, what is the problem with the tailights running as well? they give you increased visibility from behind, do they not? and it's not like they're running at full power, just at 5w from the dual watt bulb
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Unregistered user

Originally Posted by rp_guy
if you're truly considering DRL, what is the problem with the tailights running as well? they give you increased visibility from behind, do they not? and it's not like they're running at full power, just at 5w from the dual watt bulb
if you turn on your headlights you'll be using your HID much more and that usually is a wear and tear item. i have had to replace my ballast already along with many other people on this board.

you can't turn on your hi-beams without your low-beams on.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

no, but your parking lights are just $3 parts, same with the brake lights
Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Unregistered user

Originally Posted by rp_guy
no, but your parking lights are just $3 parts, same with the brake lights
you're not getting the point. there's still a difference. you can't imitate true DRL with just turning on your parking lights. canada REQUIRES drl, its a law. go ahead and try to register your car and explain your "version" of drl and see if you pass.

if you're providing another way around drl having the SAME result which is ONLY the hibeams on at reduced power then share, but having parking lights on will not produce the same results, thus your argument is pointless.

drl, i have mentioned before, is a great "mod" for a few reasons:
canadians are required by law (buying an american car, and registering it in canada)
visibility (yes turning on your headlights/parking lights will do the same but you're burning up your hid parts and your tail lights are running on lower voltage... looks like you forgot to turn it off. plus there is no way to imitate real drl w/o adding an aftermarket drl or rewiring the fog lights like the user above)
ascetics (some people like this look)
Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say just do it lippsuth and show them pics of how it looks, im sure it will look great
Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't listen to all the DRL haters.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
you're not getting the point. there's still a difference. you can't imitate true DRL with just turning on your parking lights. canada REQUIRES drl, its a law. go ahead and try to register your car and explain your "version" of drl and see if you pass.

if you're providing another way around drl having the SAME result which is ONLY the hibeams on at reduced power then share, but having parking lights on will not produce the same results, thus your argument is pointless.

drl, i have mentioned before, is a great "mod" for a few reasons:
canadians are required by law (buying an american car, and registering it in canada)
visibility (yes turning on your headlights/parking lights will do the same but you're burning up your hid parts and your tail lights are running on lower voltage... looks like you forgot to turn it off. plus there is no way to imitate real drl w/o adding an aftermarket drl or rewiring the fog lights like the user above)
ascetics (some people like this look)
i get your point, TRUE DRL is high beam or equiv. at lower wattage. but i'm saying that parking lights are equal or better. here in canada, since we all have DRL stock anyway, there's no aesthetic difference cause all cars got it. in the US, a little different, maybe. but there's no real reason to run TRUE DRL in the US. i personally took out my DRL FUSE because my HIR bulbs are $25 per bulb, and those are much more expensive that replacing side marker bulbs or brake bulbs.

many GM cars run DRL with side markers (ex. oldsmobile, chevrolet, but not all models, of course).. so where's your argument now?

parking lights ONLY will turn on your SIDE MARKERS and run the DUAL FILAMENT BRAKE BULBS at the lower 5W filament. i'm not saying turn on your HID's, because the hid's are more expensive, of course. and it will turn off when you turn your car off (delay timing)
Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Unregistered user

the point of this thread is to point out it is doable for those who want it. i understand that it might be cheaper to you to turn on parking lights, but that's just you. different people have different tastes.

anyways, i just don't like the idea that the rear taillights even when they are running at lower wattage sometimes look like they're on. it's confusing sometimes esp. when you have a split second to decide your maneuver.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered CL-er!

many GM cars run DRL with side markers (ex. oldsmobile, chevrolet, but not all models, of course).. so where's your argument now?
Gm are the first to put DRL's in their cars for safety reasons. I have a 97 Malibu as well and the DRL's are the headlights. also, it has an auto sensor so i never have to touch the light switch. I think its ghey but u have to modify the ecu to disable them.

DRL's are not availabe on early Acura's in the US. So, to have it is very different, especially if its not seen everyday. IMO, i think its a cool look and definilty grabs attention. Isn't why we all do MODS????? to make our cars stand apart! (look different). if you disable ur DRL then it will be a MOD, ur car will stand apart. That't the point were trying to make.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered CL-er!

Gm are the first to put DRL's in their cars for safety reasons. I have a 97 Malibu as well and the DRL's are the headlights. also, it has an auto sensor so i never have to touch the light switch. I think its ghey but u have to modify the ecu to disable them.

DRL's are not availabe on early Acura's in the US. So, to have it is very different, especially if its not seen everyday. IMO, i think its a cool look and definilty grabs attention. Isn't why we all do MODS????? to make our cars stand apart! (look different). if you disable ur DRL then it will be a MOD, ur car will stand apart. That's the point were trying to make.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
anyways, i just don't like the idea that the rear taillights even when they are running at lower wattage sometimes look like they're on. it's confusing sometimes esp. when you have a split second to decide your maneuver.
that's what the middle brake light is for