driver seat problem... inputs appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
i want a lip..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
driver seat problem... inputs appreciated

so my sister hydroplaned her 99 tl, hit a pot hole, jumped onto a curb, and bent her axle awhile back. i loaned her my 01 cl, trying to help her out.

when i got he car back after 2 weeks or so, besides the new paint scratches and damaged leather, the driver seat wasn't operating properly either.

THE PROBLEM : the seat can still move from side to side, but i can't adjust the top half of the seat to bend froward or backwards. its currently stuck in a painful position, almost at a 40 degree angle.

any ideas on what to do? i dont wanna take the seat out and try to mess with it not knowing what im doing.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
the motor may have died
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
i want a lip..

are there separate motors for individual movements?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Missing My CL-S

i believe there's a separate motor for moving the bottom of the seat and the back rest of the seat.

did you check to make sure that nothing's wedged under/behind the seat that could be restricting movement?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Missing My CL-S

also, make sure the plug hasn't come loose
Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and after you've checked to make sure all is clear...hit the "memory button" to get the seat to the original position you had it saved at...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
i want a lip..

yea, theres nothing it the way. i checked all the plug wires, they still intact.

as for the memory settings, it can't go back the the formation i set it at cause the top half wont budge.

when i try to move the top half, i hear it click, then i move it the opposite way, and i clicks again... kinda sounds the motor is working, but keeps getting jammed. thats it, imma take it out and look closer.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Check PM!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
i want a lip..

got it fixed!!!
thanks a MILLION to Chris, you saved me some modding money man. that would've cost me a new set of headers. whew.

found out that it wasn't anything electrical at all, which was a good thing. it was simply due to a lack of lube on the gears. TOPHER33884 pointed out that after all these years, the lube must have had dried up. and that's exactly what it was! TOPHER33884 said that the exact same problem happened to his car, and after calling his friend at Acura, found out it was the dried up grease. he said the new motor would've cost me $650 easy. man, thanks a lot.

just in case it happens to anyone else, ill tell how i did it WITHOUT REMOVING THE SEAT! took me less than 30 minutes... but the time may vary depending on how dried up the grease is in your car.

1) remove both circular plastic covers on the side on the driver side door, thus exposing two screws, unscrew both and move the plastic piece to the side. (don't try yanking it off, there are 2 wires that are connected to the two sliders for movement, if you need to, unplug the one the left one cause it will only affect he forward-backward motion of the bottom half.)

2) lift up the piece of cloth covering the gears. just pull it up and to the side, which will partially exposed the HUGE gear.

3) what i did was get a simple flat head and worked the gear back and forth as much as i could. then i sprayed some WD40 on the gear and pushed the button back and forth in an effort to set the gear free. took me less than 5 minutes for the gear to come loose. after that, it came loose and back to its smooth movements again.

4) just reverse the procedure to close it back up. AND YOU'RE DONE!

thanks to TOPHER3384, i saved time, money, and a new spine.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nX_kid
got it fixed!!!
thanks a MILLION to Chris, you saved me some modding money man. that would've cost me a new set of headers. whew.

found out that it wasn't anything electrical at all, which was a good thing. it was simply due to a lack of lube on the gears. TOPHER33884 pointed out that after all these years, the lube must have had dried up. and that's exactly what it was! TOPHER33884 said that the exact same problem happened to his car, and after calling his friend at Acura, found out it was the dried up grease. he said the new motor would've cost me $650 easy. man, thanks a lot.

just in case it happens to anyone else, ill tell how i did it WITHOUT REMOVING THE SEAT! took me less than 30 minutes... but the time may vary depending on how dried up the grease is in your car.

1) remove both circular plastic covers on the side on the driver side door, thus exposing two screws, unscrew both and move the plastic piece to the side. (don't try yanking it off, there are 2 wires that are connected to the two sliders for movement, if you need to, unplug the one the left one cause it will only affect he forward-backward motion of the bottom half.)

2) lift up the piece of cloth covering the gears. just pull it up and to the side, which will partially exposed the HUGE gear.

3) what i did was get a simple flat head and worked the gear back and forth as much as i could. then i sprayed some WD40 on the gear and pushed the button back and forth in an effort to set the gear free. took me less than 5 minutes for the gear to come loose. after that, it came loose and back to its smooth movements again.

4) just reverse the procedure to close it back up. AND YOU'RE DONE!

thanks to TOPHER3384, i saved time, money, and a new spine.
Congrats on your back pain relief