Drive it till the wheels fall off

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive it till the wheels fall off

I've been "that guy" quietly reading the amazing amount of info you guys keep together here after purchasing my new 01 CL-S from a local dealer 2 weeks ago.
Now that i have a little problem i think it's time for my 1st post.

I was having a little front end issue and the local dealer i purchased it used from was kind enough to replace the front axle under my 60 day warranty.
About 100 miles and 2 days later on my way back to the shop to find out why it was now making a lot of noise and wobble after the repair the drivers side front wheel Came off the car while driving.

I had her towed back and while i spend my weekend without my new baby i feel i have to ask the experts if there is any damage that could have been done that i might not be thinking about.

I wanna put my money over the next few months putting some love into this car not paying for damage from this event.

The wheel/rim came to a nice stop about 30 feet away so i'm guessing they're good, and my worries are the light body damage, the hub/bearing/axle, as well as the rotor/caliper, and my alignment.
Any ideas on what else might look good on my quick roadside inspection but could be damaged would be much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cnop
I've been "that guy" quietly reading the amazing amount of info you guys keep together here after purchasing my new 01 CL-S from a local dealer 2 weeks ago.

I was having a little front end issue and the local dealer i purchased it used from was kind enough to replace the front axle under my 60 day warranty.
About 100 miles and 2 days later on my way back to the shop to find out why it was now making a lot of noise and wobble after the repair the drivers side front wheel Came off the car while driving.

I had her towed back and while i spend my weekend without my new baby i feel i have to ask the experts if there is any damage that could have been done that i might not be thinking about.

I wanna put my money over the next few months putting some love into this car not paying for damage from this event.

The wheel/rim came to a nice stop about 30 feet away so i'm guessing they're good, and my worries are the light body damage, the hub/bearing/axle, as well as the rotor/caliper, and my alignment.
Any ideas on what else might look good on my quick roadside inspection but could be damaged would be much appreciated.
Did the Dealer not tighten the wheels after the repair they made?
I would think you would neet a new roter and prob some other stuff that would have been messed up.
what a incompetent dlr, you mind me asking what dlr this was so i can svooid them@!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Pro

wow the dealer obviously did not tighten the lugnuts down. The wobble you felt was the lug nuts. You will most likely need 5 new wheels studes, lug nuts, body repair, and a new rotor....make them pay for it all! WOW...
Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah i guess lugnuts are complicated......

I really don't have the HARTE to say what dealer up here in CT
made this the 1st pic of my new car.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Pro

I don't know if you were missing the mud flap before, but it sure isn't there now. It also looks like you side skirt isn't lined up properly anymore

I definately couldn't handle this in a calm manor as you are
Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In addition to the rotor, studs, etc, This might sound completely stupid, but maybe check the motor mounts... I'm thinking taking a drop like that and the weight of the motor could've broken 1 or more of the hydraulic mounts. Probably not, but I think theoretically its possible. And you're gonna want an alignment when its all said and done.

Also, changing out the studs is a BITCH. The hub is pressed on and you'll have to get it to a machine shop to get it apart to remove the studs. Shady tire shop stripped 3 studs (2 on the front and one on the back) about 6 months ago, and it was one messed up weekend trying to replace 'em.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the dealer going to pay for this? I would sure hope so.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Cnop

you need a new rim and prolly 2 tires........it's gonna cost them several thousand dollars to fix that by the time it is said and done.. the holes are most likely larger on the rim thanks the the wobbling of the tire before it came off...........

new suspension on that side of the car (strut control arms, ball joints, etc)
new axle as i am sure the sudden slam tore the CV joint up....
new fender
new mud flap
new plasic liner and clips
new front bumper
new bearings
new rotor
did the bottom of the engine drag on the ground?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ What he said.

I would not let them skip out on just replacing the wheel. They are going to stick it to you in the future, so you might as well return the favor now!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

I figured i would give them Saturday to see what kind of shape shes in (shop closed Sundays).

Just wanted to make sure i had a good list of questions/demands when i call 1st thing Monday AM.

Thanks a lot guys