Double-clutcher's interrogated

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 06:01 AM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double-clutcher's interrogated

Ok.

5th day of driving the 6-speeder. I've already done "rev matching" since day one whenever I down shift.

The question is:

Since the 6-speed CLS has synchromeshes, do you still need to double de-clutch when downshifting? I mean since the synchromeshes do all the work to try to match the speed, is double de-clutching really necessary? I would see the benefits of double de-clutching but I've read that "double clutching" puts wears on the clutch since you have to work the clutch twice instead of once (from 3rd to N to 2nd for example).

Usually what I do is simply:

Example: I'm crusing along at 50mph@about ~2500rpm+ in 5th gear and I want to downshift to 4th. So what I basically do is press the clutch all the way down, shift to Neutral while still holding down the clutch, I rev the engine up to about ~3100 RPM, then I shift to 4th gear and let the clutch up completely. It seems to be very smooth downshift.

I just want to know if it's really going to put excess wear on the synchros since I'm not spinning that damn lay shaft to match speed. That is the whole point of synchros anyway right?

I guess I'm getting the hang of it all now. This 6-speed CLS's gear ratio is much much better than the 5 speed auto. 3rd-4th are the fastest...but I still get more kick out of 5th and 6th in the 6-speeder than 4th and 5th combined in the old 5-speed auto.

Old 06-17-2002, 06:39 AM
Drifting

The closer the engine/tranny are to each other the less strain on the clutch. keep on doublen!!
Old 06-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

synchro's do wear out eventually if treated like ass.

Example. 2nd/ 3rd gear to 1st gear going 30 35mph
(hear a noise? like a zingging/ spinning sound?).

You might want to tap the throttle and dbl/ clutch in extreme
cases to save the life of these guys. IMO

Old 06-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't ever let the clutch up when shifting between gears when upshifting or downshifting.

say 3rd to 4th (or visa versa):

clutch down/back up on accelerator pedal simultaneous
shift from 3rd to 4th
clutch up (in a controlled even motion)/push down on accelerator pedal simultaneous

When driving (ie, not cruising to a stop), I don't spend any time in neutral when transitioning through the gears. Too slow; too many moves.

I generally don't skip gears - and have really never done so before the CL-S (my first 6 speed) where I sometimes skip 5th when downshifting from 6th.

I've been doing this for the last 20+ years. My clutches probably have lasted me an average of 100K miles before replacement.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Holy shit, how many thread are you gonna start about driving a manual tranny????????

I already explained this to you 3 times so far....

But let me explain one other thing-

Double clutching USED to be a required part of driving back in the early days of the manual transmission. Long ago, big trucks with manual trannies used to have straight cut gears in their gearbox. Today we have helical gears with synchronizers.

In the old days, the reason that people "doubled clutched" was because they HAD TO in order to get a smooth shift to the next gear. There were no synchros to "match" speeds between the shafts in the gearbox.

That being said, there is NO REASON TO PRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL TWICE WHILE DOWNSHIFTING. NONE AT ALL! If you press the clutch and "rev match" (like I told you before) then YOU ARE MANUALLY MATCHING THE SPEEDS OF THE SHAFTS INSIDE THE GEARBOX YOURSELF. In other words, a properly rev matched downshift will cause ZERO wear on the synchros.

Now stop being such a pussy and just go drive your damn 6 speed CL-S
Old 06-17-2002, 10:50 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by xenon7
synchro's do wear out eventually if treated like ass.

Example. 2nd/ 3rd gear to 1st gear going 30 35mph
(hear a noise? like a zingging/ spinning sound?).

When your synchros are weak/worn you will hear your gears grinding between shifts, especially if it's a relatively quick shift.

If your tranny is already at that point, you can always double clutch to shift without grinding.

Anyway, please don't tell this guy to double clutch. He really needs to learn the basics first.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

I think some of you guys learned to drive stick shift at:
“BUBBA’S SCHOOL OF BIG RIG DRIVING”

I’ve never “double clutched” with a car and I never had a clutch fail.
My 91 Legend Coupe had it’s original clutch when I sold it with 110K on the clock.
The wife’s Integra has 90K original and my 88 Daytona Shelby-Z had 90+ as well when sold.

Shawn S
Old 06-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Shawn S
...My 91 Legend Coupe had it’s original clutch when I sold it with 110K on the clock.
The wife’s Integra has 90K original and my 88 Daytona Shelby-Z had 90+ as well when sold...
I should add an addendum to my last statement:

I've only ever replaced one clutch at about 100,000 miles in my '91 Integra. I probably have put about 250 - 300,000 additional miles (over my lifetime) on manual transmissions without changing the clutch. The Integra clutch didn't fail, it just started to slip and not be as responsive as in its youth.

There is no reason to double clutch in your CL-S.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Double clutching is a thing of the past. Use the synchros... that's what they're there for.
The only reason anyone double clutches anymore is out of pure habit.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:03 PM
6SPDCLS

hahha

This pussy is new to stick shifting. I don't want to hurt the tranny ya know But now I understand it fully. I just get hella confused when I heard shit from everyone who has their own story on wear and tear on gears when shifting! Dealer guys tell me one thing, you tell me another, the net tells me something similar but different.

Ok ok, no more shifting questions. I guess there's nothing money can't fix...if it comes down to me messing up shiet.

Thanks again for your insight! Very helpful people

Originally posted by Tom2
Holy shit, how many thread are you gonna start about driving a manual tranny????????

I already explained this to you 3 times so far....

But let me explain one other thing-

Double clutching USED to be a required part of driving back in the early days of the manual transmission. Long ago, big trucks with manual trannies used to have straight cut gears in their gearbox. Today we have helical gears with synchronizers.

In the old days, the reason that people "doubled clutched" was because they HAD TO in order to get a smooth shift to the next gear. There were no synchros to "match" speeds between the shafts in the gearbox.

That being said, there is NO REASON TO PRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL TWICE WHILE DOWNSHIFTING. NONE AT ALL! If you press the clutch and "rev match" (like I told you before) then YOU ARE MANUALLY MATCHING THE SPEEDS OF THE SHAFTS INSIDE THE GEARBOX YOURSELF. In other words, a properly rev matched downshift will cause ZERO wear on the synchros.

Now stop being such a pussy and just go drive your damn 6 speed CL-S
Old 06-17-2002, 03:06 PM
CL 6 speeder

DOUBLE CLUTCHING NOT NEEDED.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
[B]Ok.

5th day of driving the 6-speeder. I've already done "rev matching" since day one whenever I down shift.

The question is:

Since the 6-speed CLS has synchromeshes, do you still need to double de-clutch when downshifting? I mean since the synchromeshes do all the work to try to match the speed, is double de-clutching really necessary? I would see the benefits of double de-clutching but I've read that "double clutching" puts wears on the clutch since you have to work the clutch twice instead of once (from 3rd to N to 2nd for example).

Double clutching for downshifts is totally uneccessay for a modern manual. Acua has multiple sychronizer cones in 1 through 4 gear for this tranny. JUST DOWN SHIFT. Stopping at neutral is not needed. You are hearing from a bunch of obsessive purists.
I have been driving manuals almost 40 years and never double clutched, never had to, and never had a problem.
Have you tried downshifting without double clutching? This transmission does that EXCEPTIONALLY WELL.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:49 PM
Red X

i was wonder wtf was double clutching. who the hell still does that?
Old 06-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by gmilian

I've been driving a manual for almost 20 years. I never sit in neutral between gears. I seem to remember reading that it is illegal to coast in neutral. Anyway, what would be the point. I've heard of double clutching, Is the reason the get the rpm up and then slam it in gear
Old 06-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gmilian

When you get an OLD POS gearbox with worn synchros, it works great to avoid grinding the teeth off the gears.

AND

A great way to wear your knees out...

A link for people with crash boxes (j/k):

http://www.g-speed.com/pbh/double-clutch.html
Old 06-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Red X

Originally posted by EricL

When you get an OLD POS gearbox with worn synchros, it works great to avoid grinding the teeth off the gears.

AND

A great way to wear your knees out...

A link for people with crash boxes (j/k):

http://www.g-speed.com/pbh/double-clutch.html
what i did with my civic was never let up off the gas and shift. that kept the rpm's high. i thought that's what racers do. that and heel toe shifting.