Don't be scared...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:30 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 330RWHP
That's not my car... I WISH it was, but I can't even afford gears... I'm stuck w/ a 13.1 sec 96 GT (Waiting on struts to install suspension and I should be in the 12s n/a).
how could you not afford gears if you've managed to get your stang to run low 13's? i hope you spent it all on you r motor?
Old 04-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Go Swede Racer..

Not trying to flame b/c I do think the CL-S' are nice cars, but in all honesty, what does the CLS have over a 2003 Cobra?
lol, how about price tag, luxury, and practicality in general? And I'm willing to bet longevity could be added to that list, but only time will tell... If you're talking strictly about racing, okay - the CL-S is basically a luxury car with an identity crisis (and rightfully so). The '03 Cobra will own the CL-S on the track, but let's take a cross country trip.. Basically, I figure a car like the CL-S has the best of both worlds - comfort, practicality, and still a good deal of speed. A low-14 1/4 mile run may be something to scoff at when you're running 10's, but consider what most other street cars run and I'd say the CL-S is a very impressive car.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
As far as I understand it, a Cobra R costs

You're right there.
Let's compare apples to apples then.
Stock for stock the Cobra will destroy an S2000 and will walk a NSX w/ little difficulty. The S2000 is right around the same price range as the Cobra and the NSX was, what, $65K? Hell, a 2001 stock Cobra will bitch slap the S2000 in the 1/4...

Think about this... 5.7L (346ci) Camaro SS came stock with 320hp and 325tq. 4.6L (281ci) Cobra (99/01 n/a) came stock with 320hp and 317tq. Stock for stock it's a driver's race. I hate how people always compared the GT to the SS when the SS and the 99/01 Cobra where in the same price range.

Why mess with F-bods when you can kick the crap out of Z06s all day long. A $35K car humiliating a $60K 5.7L "super car" seems like more of a slap in the face to GM than anything.

I doubt you could if you wanted to. The first couple times you shit yourself from 400rwtq would be embarrasing when you got out of the car.

Why anyone would pay 35 large for any non-corvette, non-Viper, non-Caddy American car is beyond me.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

You notice he liked to throw out the NSX in the $80k range, but failed to include the Viper. Which is everything the Cobra is, but more power, better handling...and looks 100x better. I give much props to the 03 Cobra...but paying almost 15k over a GT for a blower and IRS which is a detriment in drag racing makes you wonder as well. And a Supra will still hand the Cobra its ass.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:03 PM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

You're right there.
Let's compare apples to apples then.
Stock for stock the Cobra will destroy an S2000 and will walk a NSX w/ little difficulty. The S2000 is right around the same price range as the Cobra and the NSX was, what, $65K? Hell, a 2001 stock Cobra will bitch slap the S2000 in the 1/4...
You forget that the s2000 hgas a high level of refinement and the4 inerior in my opinioon is much nicer. Yes I do agree tyhat ford came out with a great power for your money car, but I also think that although there are other cars that the mustange would rape, thee are also other cars that people buy OVER the mustang for reasons other than speed.

Wait till I get the comptech blower put on, then I'll give you guys a run for your money
Old 04-03-2003, 09:29 PM
East Coast Boost.!

The Cobra is afast, but it still is a FORD, and puts down a pretty crappy amount of HP/Liter esp for a FI car. To sum it all up, American engineering sucks.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Racer

hahhaha....

Originally posted by Titand19
The Cobra is afast, but it still is a FORD, and puts down a pretty crappy amount of HP/Liter esp for a FI car. To sum it all up, American engineering sucks.
You jackass. Where do you think the automobile was invented? Which country has the most patents per year? Where does most technology originate from? Don't knock American Engineering jackass... what's your profession anyways?

And back on cars... is there a better car with forced induction that has more horsepower or power for the money? In other words, is there another car that for 35k can take the cobra? Straight line, or even on the track?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:45 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Hey Numbaonestunna, I think you are getting a little out of hand.
1. I was simply saying that in terms of Hp/liter, American technology is not up to par.
2. America does have the most patents per year, but patents do not always apply to technological inventions as you might think.
3. I agree that for 35K there are no STOCK cars taht can take the Cobra, I'm assuming that's what you meant.
4. My job is def not being a little fucking asshole and going off on someone for stating his/her opinion.
Who's the Jackass now?
Old 04-04-2003, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Wow this thread blew up since I last saw it.
Here goes *takes a deep breath*

Originally posted by darrinb
you cant compare a 99/01 cobra to a 99-02 ss or ws6, plain and simple the stang would get walked in an acceleration contest, those cobras were way overated in hp #'s
The Cobras were only over rated in 99. The was a free recall to get that taken care of. The LS1 and 01 Cobra is a VERY good race assuming both driver's have equal skills. I would give the slight upper hand to the SS/WS6 because it can launch alot harder b/c it's not limited by the IRS like the Cobra. Give the SS to an average/decent driver and the Cobra to a great driver and my money would be on the Cobra. It is by no means, a "walking".

Originally posted by quikcls
how could you not afford gears if you've managed to get your stang to run low 13's? i hope you spent it all on you r motor?
I have car payments, insurance, a speeding ticket, a speed contest ticket, and gas to pay for. My hours at work have been cut from 35hrs/week to 15-17 due to a corporate buyout. And yes, most of the cash invested in my car is in the motor.

Originally posted by the swede
blah blah blah..........CL-S is a very impressive car.
Agreed

Originally posted by F23A4
Why anyone would pay 35 large for any non-corvette, non-Viper, non-Caddy American car is beyond me.
Find a new Vette, Viper, or Caddy (reason for being on this list is beyond me) for $35K then we'll talk.

Originally posted by moomaster_99
You notice he liked to throw out the NSX in the $80k range, but failed to include the Viper. Which is everything the Cobra is, but more power, better handling...and looks 100x better. I give much props to the 03 Cobra...but paying almost 15k over a GT for a blower and IRS which is a detriment in drag racing makes you wonder as well. And a Supra will still hand the Cobra its ass.
More power. Yes (8.0L vs 4.6 ). Better Looks. I agree w/ you on this. I have loved the Viper for as long as I have been into cars. Both my email & AIM s/n have Viper in them. Handling? No. Not sure about the 03 Vipers (haven't done my homework), but the previous chassis/body was NOT a good corner carver. Trust me
Your paying $15K more for a BULLET-PROOF bottom end, a 6spd trans, and all new body panels, new interior and an IRS that gives a smoother ride and has survived a 9 second run. (FYI, the 03's IRS is much stronger than the 99/01's)

Originally posted by KC CL 1785
......there are also other cars that people buy OVER the mustang for reasons other than speed.
Agreed

Yeah, most imports w/ their small displacement engines do make more hp/liter. BUT, did you ever think there is something else that a V8 muscle car owner wants? There is this thing called TORQUE. Ever hear of it? You won't get that from a small displacement, high-revving import. PERIOD.

And I think that's it
Old 04-04-2003, 02:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by bjs 3.5 se
Don't think so...........i got to race a couple of 03 Cobras and a couple Z06's in my 01 SS which ran 12.8@112 all day long......both times i slightly beat the Cobras...and both times i got beat by the Z06's......U may say driver error..but i got up to 130+mph on all my races.....so at that point ur not shiftin ne more...and a car will win cuz its faster...
Ne ways a stock cobra runs around a 12.9-13.1......@ the track...all the new 405 hp Z06 run around 12.4-12.7 with a good driver.
New stock ZO6's dyno about 347 RWHP...Cobras around 355rwhp.....but the Vette is over 500 lighter........its all weight to power
I have only seen TWO Cobras dyno that low. Here's a list of the baseline (stock) 03 dyno runs that I have seen and/or heard about (These are all SAE corrected RWHP #s):
380 (404 w/ a CAI and filter)
350 (poor guy )
383 (drop-in K&N)
The lowest one there equals 411.7hp at the crank (15% drivetrain loss)

MotorTrend ran the 03 at 12.7. And I hope everyone here realizes mag drivers aren't that great. So I don't know where you get 12.9-13.1. The lowest I have seen w/ my own eyes is a 12.5. He had the air silence removed (rubber snorkel on the stock airbox).

At 130mph, aerodynamics becomes quite a factor. The SS has a more streamlined design. Also, the LS1s have great top end...we all know this. But just because your not shifting, doesnt mean there cant be driver error. Hitting the rev limiter, hesitation, or you just got the jump on them early on. I don't know. I'm not stupid enough (anymore) to race that fast. I can't think of the peak RPMs of the 03s and SS's hp/tq power range. I know the 03 has peak torque down low around 3500...
Old 04-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

and puts down a pretty crappy amount of HP/Liter esp for a FI car. To sum it all up, American engineering sucks.
A motorcycle engine makes great HP/Liter but I certainly would not want it in my car. The current Cobra is an excellent vehicle for its purpose, tire shredding torque and acceleration with significant road handling and good braking. Yes, the interior is not the greatest but nor is it meant to be. You get a vehicle capable of high 12's stock with a warranty for about $35k.

As for the American engineering statement, seems to be coming from a lack of knowledge. GM powertrain is well more advanced in transmission technology than most of the Japanese counterparts. The electronic controls division has had significantly better knock monitoring and control system than nearly all other manufacturers. This is how the low tech GM L67 motor was able to achieve LEV status well before any other V6 engine got the same mark. And that same motor makes torque too, something most import engines lack.

Those are just a couple of examples, but there are many more. Take the Z06 for example, old school pushrod technology but with extreme engineering put into it and that is just the engine. Titanium exhaust and brakes of a race car but one’s which also last along with an incredible suspension. The overall vehicle is a testament to engineering when this product can be made available to the public for about $50k.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Racer

in reply...

Hey Numbaonestunna, I think you are getting a little out of hand.
1. I was simply saying that in terms of Hp/liter, American technology is not up to par.
2. America does have the most patents per year, but patents do not always apply to technological inventions as you might think.
3. I agree that for 35K there are no STOCK cars taht can take the Cobra, I'm assuming that's what you meant.
4. My job is def not being a little fucking asshole and going off on someone for stating his/her opinion.
Who's the Jackass now?
Let's see what the last part of your post was....

"American Engineering sucks?"

You can see how someone who works in the engineering field might be offended.

Horsepower to liter is more difficult the larger your engine is. Rotating mass increases, frictional losses, increase, etc etc. Is there a Japanese or German motor that has better horsepower/liter efficiency for that size (4.6L) I'm not being facetious, I really am curious.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: in reply...

Originally posted by numbaonestunna
Is there a Japanese or German motor that has better horsepower/liter efficiency for that size (4.6L) I'm not being facetious, I really am curious.
Just taking the advertised crank values the Cobra has 83.7 Hp/L.

Compare that to the E46 M3 which has 104 Hp/L

Or the S2000 which has 120 Hp/L

Or even the CL-S at 81.25 Hp/L

But with that said, the S2000 has a very low torque output. Torque accelerates the vehicle.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: in reply...

Horsepower to liter is more difficult the larger your engine is. Rotating mass increases, frictional losses, increase, etc etc.

Is there a Japanese or German motor that has better horsepower/liter efficiency for that size (4.6L) I'm not being facetious, I really am curious.
Yeah, cost 2X to get. To get a V8 in an import car, you have to look at a luxury brand, and spend 40k. Lexus has a 4.3L 300HP/325TQ, BMW a 4.4L 290/320, Infiniti 4.5L 340/333. Toyota uses a similar V8 in their trucks from the Lex.

Hard to beat the 260/302 in a GT.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:08 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Numbaonestunna, I do see where you could get offended. I did not have any intentions of offending anyone. Obviously my statement about American engineering was a bit harsh and to a part untrue. I just assummed you were some little kid cause that's what I interpreted from your reply. Most adults wouldn't go off on someone and call them a jackass without some proper justification. Interms of the technology part, I guess you got me there. Scalbert is backing you up also. In terms of the patents and America inventing the car I think I got you there. There is no point in having this arguement, where is LBC?

A bunch of the japanese luxury brands do put down close to the HP of a Cobra, Thht's only if price is not taken into consideration. The Q45 I believe puts down approx 340hp and it has plenty of torque. It's also NA. I guess it's a matter of preference. The majority of the members on this board could have easily purcahsed a Cobra, it's a matter of class vs. performance. Plus insurance on a Cobra beats the crap out of you.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Go Swede Racer..

blah blah blah..........CL-S is a very impressive car.
Oh sure, my whole reply gets consolidated to "blah blah blah" :P
Old 04-30-2003, 08:24 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the Cobras for what they are...speed monsters! I also love the CLS for what it is a pretty good compromise of lux and speed.

No if only I could afford an E55 then I'd have the best of everything!
Old 05-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Racer

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just taking the advertised crank values the Cobra has 83.7 Hp/L.

Compare that to the E46 M3 which has 104 Hp/L

Or the S2000 which has 120 Hp/L

Or even the CL-S at 81.25 Hp/L

But with that said, the S2000 has a very low torque output. Torque accelerates the vehicle...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that's why I said for that size. Go down even smaller to a motorcyce and you'll get even better values...

Old 05-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, that's why I said for that size. Go down even smaller to a motorcyce and you'll get even better values...

I would hold the rolleyes for a moment. The Cobra is blown to about 7.5 PSI boost (from what I recall) putting its effective displacement at about 6.9 liters This makes its effective HP/L value at 55.8.

So you wanted the same or larger engines with a better number. How about the the follwoing done without forced induction.

M5 = 80 HP/L
LS6 = 71 HP/L

and these two are NA...

But if forced induction is allowed then my CL-S6SC makes an effective HP/L value of about 115.6... :P
Old 05-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by scalbert
I would hold the rolleyes for a moment. The Cobra is blown to about 7.5 PSI boost (from what I recall) putting its effective displacement at about 6.9 liters This makes its effective HP/L value at 55.8.

So you wanted the same or larger engines with a better number. How about the the follwoing done without forced induction.

M5 = 80 HP/L
LS6 = 71 HP/L

and these two are NA...

But if forced induction is allowed then my CL-S6SC makes an effective HP/L value of about 115.6... :P
Heck, if you're talking modded, as a CL SC is, then hold on, there are 2.0 litre motors making 700+HP. For a street car, the blown Cobras are modding quite well, and are well over 100HP per liter. Actually, stock 03 Cobras are pretty close, we all know the 390 is a bogus number. And before you say, yam but blower. Sure its blown, but it also has lower compression. Just like my Regal. I only have 8.5:1. Whats a CL? I would think over 10:1? I just don't know.

I hate the HP/Ltr arguement. Can't we just talk about what car is faster? Hp/litre is only relevent when discussing motors of similar size.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Instructor

35K? How about the new lancer EVO. Just about equal in acceleration and a bit more nimble as well. But for my preference I'd take a cobra = more potential.

HP/liter is crap.
Here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCFP9&P=0
There's a little less than 480 hp per liter. You wanna put that in your car?

Also when coming up with HP/liter arguements, and ya calculate an engine with forced induction you are discounted it's effective displacement. If it's boosting 14.7 just double the liters for it's effective displacement. Absolute is 14.7.

In closing......... I like cars. They all do the same thing in soooooo many different ways.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:55 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

I wouldn't even think of racing a Cobra!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by GS Dave
Heck, if you're talking modded, as a CL SC is, then hold on, there are 2.0 litre motors making 700+HP

I hate the HP/Ltr arguement. Can't we just talk about what car is faster? Hp/litre is only relevent when discussing motors of similar size.
I agree, that was the reason for the smileys at the end.

The HP/L arguement was brought up and as such the questions were responded to. But now you brought up another question, do we want to know which cars are faster or which cars are quicker...
Old 05-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by GS Dave
Can't we just talk about what car is faster? Hp/litre is only relevent when discussing motors of similar size.
EXACTLY!!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
someone give me 15G please... then i will race u