Does Cali only have 91 octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 07:19 PM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does Cali only have 91 octane gas?

just curious, cuz every gas station that i've been to so far in cali has only had 91 octane for their 'super' gas....

also, i'm lookin for a good dealership in the SoCal area...preferably around Irvine....any help would be appreciated...thanks
Old 06-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91?? haha, you cant even get 91 out here, its 93 only!! and the occasional 92....and of course 100 is always aroud too at certain places.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:28 PM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jimcol711
91?? haha, you cant even get 91 out here, its 93 only!! and the occasional 92....and of course 100 is always aroud too at certain places.
when i lived in va, the premium gas was 93 octane....is 91 bad for our car?
Old 06-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by minla007

Well, it sure isn't "rocket fuel"...

There were a few suffering souls with TLS' that were having some pinging that went away with a couple of gallons of 100-octane added....

The 91-octane doesn't ping, but 6 or more tests with various amounts of 100-octane is proof enough for me, that if you've got dollars falling out of your pockets, you could always "burn" some dough up by trying to add-in a few gallons of the 100 unleaded available at "some" of the 76 stations.

Here is a link to the 76.com site.

(I would give you the exact URL, but it just doesn’t work – long story)

Find the blue bar near the top of the page at www.76.com

You will see an area labeled “Station Locator” – press this region.

You will end up on a page that will find the stations by distance and/by “type and range of service offered”

Make sure to leave the Racing Fuel selected (that is the street legal 100-octane unleaded).

You are all set to see for yourself if there is any difference (at all).

IMO, my car was "happier" with the 92-93 octane…

Old 06-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Powered By HONDA

the highest grade in wa state is 92 only
Old 06-14-2002, 12:41 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

cali

76 offers 93 in Stockton, CA..but only one off of charter way that I know of.

I spoke to performanceparts, autoaddiction and comptech...and they all said that 91 is good. Will not hurt anything/its reccomended. The only time 92+ should be a must is if you need it. "not a racer, dont need it, especially if you are not taking into consideration mistures, regulators, pumps, etc...."
Old 06-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: cali

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
76 offers 93 in Stockton, CA..but only one off of charter way that I know of.

I spoke to performanceparts, autoaddiction and comptech...and they all said that 91 is good. Will not hurt anything/its reccomended. The only time 92+ should be a must is if you need it. "not a racer, dont need it, especially if you are not taking into consideration mistures, regulators, pumps, etc...."
Sure... but, I would consider the temperature, altitude, humidity and other factors that influence the need for octane even with a mildly "enhanced" setup.

The other issue that "gets" off-track from 91-octane, is just what this 91-octane is made from and what gunk is added to it. I have a strong belief that other motorists, in other regions of the country, have better "quality" gas. The 91-octane we get here is analogous to taking a good steak and adding hamburger helper to "spread it out." All of the high compression hot-rods running around California running 10.5 - 11.5 (and higher) compressions, make the "good stuff" hard to get...

So, yeah, the car is "fine", but I wouldn't want to be betting pink slips with a tank of the 91. Some folks have mentioned possible gains in performance (using the 100-octane) being the result of getting gas with great additives and better fractions, rather than from octane alone.

93-octane in Stockton... Interesting...
Old 06-14-2002, 04:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by minla007

Hey,

Ya, I'm a Virginian also, lived in Burke and Arlington, and ya, it sucks out here, only 91 octane... Of course I mix in 100 octane occasionally to get to 93...

Welcome to cali
Old 06-14-2002, 10:56 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EricL

Well, it sure isn't "rocket fuel"...

There were a few suffering souls with TLS' that were having some pinging that went away with a couple of gallons of 100-octane added....

The 91-octane doesn't ping, but 6 or more tests with various amounts of 100-octane is proof enough for me, that if you've got dollars falling out of your pockets, you could always "burn" some dough up by trying to add-in a few gallons of the 100 unleaded available at "some" of the 76 stations.

Here is a link to the 76.com site.

(I would give you the exact URL, but it just doesn’t work – long story)

Find the blue bar near the top of the page at www.76.com

You will see an area labeled “Station Locator” – press this region.

You will end up on a page that will find the stations by distance and/by “type and range of service offered”

Make sure to leave the Racing Fuel selected (that is the street legal 100-octane unleaded).

You are all set to see for yourself if there is any difference (at all).

IMO, my car was "happier" with the 92-93 octane…

Eric, thanks for that site!!!! There is a couple of stations here in NorCal that actually have race gas!!!! The one in San Jose is not far from my work!!!!! Gonna have to see how my baby runs with 93 or so octane!!!!!
Old 06-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Race Director

Sunoco 94 here in T.dot

shit owns me
Old 06-14-2002, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

so....how much 100 octane should you use? A whole tank or half and half? Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AVI8TIR
so....how much 100 octane should you use? A whole tank or half and half? Thanks

When you see the price, you will want to try adding a 2-3 gallons on a near empty tank of gas...

IMO, depending on the gas in your area and other factors it could be great or not so great... (Please, make sure your sitting down when you check the price on the 100 pump!)
Old 06-14-2002, 09:46 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

When you see the price, you will want to try adding a 2-3 gallons on a near empty tank of gas...

IMO, depending on the gas in your area and other factors it could be great or not so great... (Please, make sure your sitting down when you check the price on the 100 pump!)
I am guessing about $5 a gallon!! Am I close??? I won't find out till later this weekend. Come on Eric, a little hint at least!!!!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AztecRol

I am guessing about $5 a gallon!! Am I close??? I won't find out till later this weekend. Come on Eric, a little hint at least!!!!
Yeah, there about -- an expensive hobby!

AND

I have noticed that the price seems to go UP (a lot of times) when the price of 87- and 91-octane gasoline is going down
Old 06-14-2002, 10:21 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

I have noticed that the price seems to go UP (a lot of times) when the price of 87- and 91-octane gasoline is going down

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

swapping

would using for example:

use 91 a few days then get your hands on 93 once inawhile...does that hurt or still help you out?

thanks
Old 06-15-2002, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure plenty of people already know this, but probably more don't, so...

People often assume that higher octane means more explosive power and that lower octane is more watered down, but that's not how it works. In fact, higher octane means it's more difficult to get the combustion. Compression makes heat, so at high compression ratios gasoline can ignite before it gets the spark--higher octane reduces the ability for the gasoline in the cylinder to pre-combust (the "octane" hydrocarbon is more stable). This pre-combustion is felt as "knocking" or "pinging"; modern cars sense knocking and make adjustments to reduce it, but of course you want to eliminate it before that point to minimize engine wear and maximize performance.

So, basically you want high enough octane to eliminate the problem; increasing the octane above that point does nothing--either the gasoline pre-ignites or doesn't. Unless you do something to increase your compression ratio, "extra" octane just adds $.

Something I haven't looked into in years though--there is definitely quality of gasoline beyond just octane. I remember years ago (mid 80's?) BMW had various manufacteri><ated for approval. At that time, Shell was one that met their standards, and I've used it since (a little more expensive than some, but a Shell credit card give you 5% off and brings it in line), but I don't know if that's still the case.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by codehead
I'm sure plenty of people already know this, but probably more don't, so...

People often assume that higher octane means more explosive power and that lower octane is more watered down, but that's not how it works. In fact, higher octane means it's more difficult to get the combustion. Compression makes heat, so at high compression ratios gasoline can ignite before it gets the spark--higher octane reduces the ability for the gasoline in the cylinder to pre-combust (the "octane" hydrocarbon is more stable). This pre-combustion is felt as "knocking" or "pinging"; modern cars sense knocking and make adjustments to reduce it, but of course you want to eliminate it before that point to minimize engine wear and maximize performance.

So, basically you want high enough octane to eliminate the problem; increasing the octane above that point does nothing--either the gasoline pre-ignites or doesn't. Unless you do something to increase your compression ratio, "extra" octane just adds $.

Something I haven't looked into in years though--there is definitely quality of gasoline beyond just octane. I remember years ago (mid 80's?) BMW had various manufacteri><ated for approval. At that time, Shell was one that met their standards, and I've used it since (a little more expensive than some, but a Shell credit card give you 5% off and brings it in line), but I don't know if that's still the case.

Yes, once you have enough, it's enough. From 6 tests, I've found that the CL can benefit from having 100-octane (from 76) mixed in with the 91-octane (from Shell). As to what made the difference – who knows?

AND

This doesn't mean that if 92 is better than 91, that 93 is better than 92 and so on and so on... (Yes, agreed)

However -- I wouldn't want to bet that the 100-octane gas' only difference is in its octane content. I really believe that there is a good possibility that the fractions are better/different in the 100-octane from 76.

So, yes, don't get carried away. There are cased where the higher octane will just produce less HP.

AND

How much octane a car uses is dependent on temperature, altitude, and humidity...

AND

The sticker price alone will probably keep the experimentation to a minimum!