Does anyone else love this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else love this?

I have driven manuals my entire life and have thoroughly enjoyed them...but I must confess....I LOVE the idea of switching this thing into automatic mode when I need to and going into manual mode when I want to have fun.:P ..(although my fun has been limited because its BRAND new) ---the ss is not quite as good as a manual but the whole package works for me.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:23 AM
Banned

I could live with it better if the SS side was more manual. I don't like it shifting for me. Or not shifting when I tell it to. I
Old 12-10-2001, 11:24 AM
Pro

my last cl was a 5 speed and i loved that car...i hugged it and cried when i used it as a trade in for my new cl-s but...select shift is soooo fuckin raw im still learning how to use it though im scared to ride it hard with so many peoplle complainin of tranny probs i dont wanna be the newest member ofthe blown tranny club
Old 12-10-2001, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

DaveBlkCL-S,

If you take EVERYTHING you just said and say the EXACT opposite, I would agree with you completely.

Shawn S
Old 12-10-2001, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S
DaveBlkCL-S,

If you take EVERYTHING you just said and say the EXACT opposite, I would agree with you completely.

Shawn S
Somebodies haveing a bad hair day.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

Somebodies haveing a bad hair day.
Not really. Like me, he's disappointed with the SS and wants a real manual back.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:49 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mostly use SS when i want to grab and hold a lower gear, with no pedal guess work. Usually on a yield or ramp. In D5 around 45-50 mph, when I ask for some speed, my car likes to drop into second, when I only wanted third.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:52 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

For me this is what I would loved to have:

A SS with:

1) 6-speed.
2) Shifting time of no 0.2 sec
3) Selectable no auto shift between 1-2.
4) No failing stories for this guy.

Bump the HP and torque by 10% to adjust for loss of efficency compared to maunal.

Who wants a stick over this one!
Old 12-10-2001, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

A SS with:

1) 6-speed.

Bump the HP and torque by 10% to adjust for loss of efficency compared to maunal.

OK, serve it up, it's done.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:59 AM

A SS with:

1) 6-speed.

5) Don't forget about keeping the extra weight down.

Maybe the next NSX would have something like this, followed by the CL?
Old 12-10-2001, 12:01 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by Bluto
I mostly use SS when i want to grab and hold a lower gear, with no pedal guess work. Usually on a yield or ramp. In D5 around 45-50 mph, when I ask for some speed, my car likes to drop into second, when I only wanted third.

In D5, how do you know that ii downshifted to 2nd not 3rd? There is no indicator, unless of course while accelerating you switch to SS to check which gear you are in.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 700 Likes on 542 Posts
I think semi automatic shifting is totaly useless.
I only used it once to check if its working. Its a toy, unnecessary toy.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:10 PM
Mr. Lover-Lover

i thoroughly enjoy having a "ss" mode in my CL-S....i have driven manual transmission cars before, and personally they are a bitch to drive unless you are on the open road. The nice thing about this is i can choose...if i wanna really control this car today..i can throw it in SS and have a little more fun. If i just wanna get from here to there..then the automatic it is...that is the beauty of it.

for all those who CONSTANLY complain about their CL-S not being completely manual.....

why did you get your CL-S???
stop crying all the time:'(
Old 12-10-2001, 12:10 PM

In D5, how do you know that ii downshifted to 2nd not 3rd? There is no indicator, unless of course while accelerating you switch to SS to check which gear you are in.
Higher RPMs and acceleration, shift around 65 into 3rd.

Instead of merging or passing someone I blast by them. Then I have every idiot who saw me wanting a race.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:17 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Now question for all...

Say you are doing a WOT in SS, starting from 2nd.

What are the negative consequences if any of shifting at 5500-6000 rpm rather than Redline? Say also that you would keep upshofting up to 5th.

In D5, I noticed that more than couple times if I am crusing at 65-70 and I go WOT, it downshift to only 4th , rpm jumps to 3500 and no VTEC. I cannot say this is fun, this why the SS is not useless,.. switch to 3rd even to 2n and and WOT an here is my " Yahhhooo Baby....."
Old 12-10-2001, 12:31 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally posted by mdaniel

Not really. Like me, he's disappointed with the SS and wants a real manual back.
I'm a little disappointed with the SS, its mostly the shift lag that bugs me. Unlike Russiandude I don't think its useless - when I'm on a 2 lane highway and need to make quick "surgical" passes (as opposed to long high-speed cruising passes) the SS is definately useful.

However, I've driven manuals for, well probably longer than some of the members of this board have been alive, and I only miss it for the open road "fun" driving. Get me in the daily traffic jams each way to/from work and I do not miss the aerobic - clutch/brake-shift/gas-clutch (repeat ad nauseum) workout one bit!!! In fact I want steering wheel mounted thumb controls!

(okay, I'm old)
Old 12-10-2001, 12:32 PM

Now question for all...

It may drop to 1st, depending on you speed.

What are the negative consequences if any of shifting at 5500-6000 rpm rather than Redline? Say also that you would keep upshofting up to 5th.

I hope none. Somtimes I SS fast from 3rd to 5th, and skip 4th. Othertimes I go from SS-3 to D5.

In D5, I noticed that more than couple times if I am crusing at 65-70 and I go WOT, it downshift to only 4th , rpm jumps to 3500 and no VTEC. I cannot say this is fun, this why the SS is not useless,.. switch to 3rd even to 2n and and WOT an here is my " Yahhhooo Baby....."
WOT (flooring it) at 65-70 should go into 3rd. A lighter throttle should result in the torque converter in 5th or a shift down to 4th.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:35 PM
'Cooter

Now question for all...

well depending on how fast u're goin in 2nd, WOT'ing may and prob will downshift into 1st if u're goin less than about 25 or so...i don't see any negative consequences cept to say u'd lose a race if u did that

u're right about the downshifting thing...altho im surprised noone mentioned this yet...the Grade Logic Control acts like a booster in real life, so if u're cruising at 70, u're at a little under 2000RPMs...when u put your foot half down, the tach will jump to maybe 2500RPMs, then u floor it and the tach jumps again...so the fact that Acura says the Grade Logic Control keeps u goin on an uphill is just an excuse to the fact that it is really a bit of a boost, otherwise, like a manual, there would b no jump in RPMs if u floor it with no gear change.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by underdog

I'm a little disappointed with the SS, its mostly the shift lag that bugs me. Unlike Russiandude I don't think its useless - when I'm on a 2 lane highway and need to make quick "surgical" passes (as opposed to long high-speed cruising passes) the SS is definately useful.

However, I've driven manuals for, well probably longer than some of the members of this board have been alive, and I only miss it for the open road "fun" driving. Get me in the daily traffic jams each way to/from work and I do not miss the aerobic - clutch/brake-shift/gas-clutch (repeat ad nauseum) workout one bit!!! In fact I want steering wheel mounted thumb controls!

(okay, I'm old)
I'm with you. thumb controls! Or maybe paddles behind the wheel?
Old 12-10-2001, 12:41 PM
Banned

How many of you started out on sticks vs. autos? Before I could drive, I rode mutispeed bicycles. You become very familiar with gearing when you're the engine. (Unlike most boneheads, I didn't just stick it in the highest gear and leave it there. I actually used the gears properly.) My first car was a hand me down which happend to be a stick. Since I couldn't afford to buy a car, it was either learn to drive the thing or keep pedaling. So shifting just seems normal to me. Part of driving. I think a lot of the people who complain about manuals are people who started out on autos. I think of it as "getting to shift" while auto drivers think of it as "having to shift". I like the solid connection between the engine and wheels that an auto with a torque converter doesn't allow. Torque converters with their fluid connection feel broken to me. Like a badly slipping clutch. I also like machines that do what I tell them, when I tell them. I hate being vetoed by a damn computer.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:41 PM
Instructor

hmm

I agree with DeLucCL-S --why did anyone even buy the CL-S if having a manual is THAT important? There are other cars available.......were you misinformed about the SS or did you just like all other aspects of the car that much?
I knew the shortcomings of the SS and purchased anyway...If they had a six speed I probably would have chosen that instead buttt...I am just saying that I really am liking the ability to choose automatic...---the fella who said that a six speed ss with no automatic changing from 1-2 would be ideal....but add that to all the other fantasies....RWD..etc
Old 12-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Banned

Re: hmm

Originally posted by DaveBlkCL-S
I agree with DeLucCL-S --why did anyone even buy the CL-S if having a manual is THAT important? There are other cars available.......were you misinformed about the SS or did you just like all other aspects of the car that much?
I really liked the car and wasn't going to hold my breath for a manual given Honda/Acura's history of V6 manuals (or lack thereof). I thought the SS would be close enough. If I'd had the chance to drive one for a month I would have known it wasn't. Most of my problems with it could be fixed with some programming updates but I won't hold my breath for that either.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Re: hmm

I knew the shortcomings of the SS and purchased anyway...If they had a six speed I probably would have chosen that instead buttt...I am just saying that I really am liking the ability to choose automatic...---the fella who said that a six speed ss with no automatic changing from 1-2 would be ideal....but add that to all the other fantasies....RWD..etc
I didn't and still don't see any car that is comperable to the CL-S for $30K that has a stick. The SS isn't as quick as I expected, and I surely wasn't prepared for it not working between 1st and 2nd.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I agreen with mcdaniel and CO-CL-S....there was not a car that was comparable to the CLS and had a MT when I got the CLS (not sure there is one now really). I also thought that I could enjoy the car with SS until Acura decided if/when they were going to make a MT for the CLS and add maybe some other stuff ...

We finally know we are getting at least the 6-speed (I am #1 on the list at my Acura dealership) and probably are also getting a HP bump (in addition to getting back some HP/torque to the wheels cause of MT).

I am happy how it worked out (loved having this car for the 2 years) and Acura is coming thru for us no matter how much we compain

(PS - Acura - would it be THAT hard to give the 6MT a body kit? )
Old 12-10-2001, 12:56 PM
Instructor

programming updates?

hmm---makes me think---what would it take for acura to make this the "real deal" when it comes to SS---re: keeping it from switching 1-2 and eliminating the lag time...maybe one of you more knowledgeable folks can chime in...
Old 12-10-2001, 12:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: programming updates?

hmm---makes me think---what would it take for acura to make this the "real deal" when it comes to SS---re: keeping it from switching 1-2 and eliminating the lag time...maybe one of you more knowledgeable folks can chime in...
I know this does not help, but I think Acura CAN do it ... can they do it and keep the CLS less that $35K? I am not sure about that. Also - having failures on the current transmission does not help even the Acura loyal like myself think they can do it cheaply AND realiably. They will get there ... just not as soon as we all want :-)
Old 12-10-2001, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Scooter

u're right about the downshifting thing...altho im surprised noone mentioned this yet...the Grade Logic Control acts like a booster in real life, so if u're cruising at 70, u're at a little under 2000RPMs...when u put your foot half down, the tach will jump to maybe 2500RPMs, then u floor it and the tach jumps again...so the fact that Acura says the Grade Logic Control keeps u goin on an uphill is just an excuse to the fact that it is really a bit of a boost, otherwise, like a manual, there would b no jump in RPMs if u floor it with no gear change.
The boost you are describing is the tranny switching from a direct clutch to the torque converter. The clutch and torque converter is almost like have 2 speeds for every gear. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on transmissions.

GLC from Acura's website "....By monitoring throttle position, vehicle speed and acceleration/deceleration, then comparing these inputs with a map stored in the transmission computer, the Grade Logic Control System "knows" when the car is on a hill. The shift schedule is then adjusted automatically to hold the engine in a lower gear for better climbing power, increased downhill engine braking and reduced shift frequency."
Old 12-10-2001, 01:05 PM

Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

I didn't and still don't see any car that is comperable to the CL-S for $30K that has a stick. The SS isn't as quick as I expected, and I surely wasn't prepared for it not working between 1st and 2nd.
A 325Ci lacking in features (but not stripped). Not comperable in features, but a 'luxury' brand RWD stick.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:06 PM
Banned

Re: programming updates?

The lag time is a tough one. But giving manual control of the 1-2 shift it easy. They just won't do it. An older TL (99?) had a 4 speed auto with sport shift and it had full 1-2 control. Then, so the story goes, dumbasses kept bouncing it off the rev limiter forgetting to shift. So they dumbed it down for the masses the following year. I doubt they'd go back. But the RSX has 1-2 control. Maybe they figure RSX drivers are smarter. Who knows.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Re: hmm

A 325Ci lacking in features (but not stripped). Not comperable in features, but a 'luxury' brand RWD stick.
Appreciate what you are saying, but the CLS with SS beat the crap out of a 325 or 328 in a comparison just as the CLS was released. I have been in both and I can confirm superior performance. So close ... but not there. Also - I think Acura has the edge on reliability and FWD is better in snow and the likes. Also - not sure the same features are achievable on the 325 at a 30K mark, but I have not looked in detail. Personal preference is that the CL is much sharper looking too

I think the CLS could topple QUITE a few more foes with the 6MT if it came with an even more agressive handling package.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 700 Likes on 542 Posts
I guess it depends how u drive, I accelerate slow, and dont do any fast starts or accelearations..... Why would I need SS ?
Its nice to know that it is there.... but Have I realy use it? NO
Old 12-10-2001, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by provench

Appreciate what you are saying, but the CLS with SS beat the crap out of a 325 or 328 in a comparison just as the CLS was released. I have been in both and I can confirm superior performance. So close ... but not there. Also - I think Acura has the edge on reliability and FWD is better in snow and the likes. Also - not sure the same features are achievable on the 325 at a 30K mark, but I have not looked in detail. Personal preference is that the CL is much sharper looking too

I think the CLS could topple QUITE a few more foes with the 6MT if it came with an even more agressive handling package.
I was torn between a manual 325Ci and the Type-S. Each car has it's advantages. It comes down to individual preferences and needs. Acceleration, handling, price, time, .... I take comparison tests for what they are worth: tests performed by other people on cars they don't own. My problem with BMW: I could not find a 325ci manual, nor wait 2+ months to order one. Also, the 325 is underpowered for 30k. But, it is something I could have lived with. I'm not much of a track or stop light racer.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:28 PM
Mr. Lover-Lover

i agree with some of the other fellas saying that the shift time could be a bit quicker..more responsive to your shifting in "ss", but i still say that the auto with the "ss"option beats a manual.......but that is just my opinion. I see my CL-S as a luxury cruiser, with enough balls to take most of the "normal" cars out on the road at any given minute.

i like my car for the 28k i got it for....not a bad deal if you ask me

you will have a tough time finding a car with this many standard features, luxury appointments, classy looks and flat out power as the CL-S...that is why i chose this car
Old 12-10-2001, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by DeLucCL-S
i agree with some of the other fellas saying that the shift time could be a bit quicker..more responsive to your shifting in "ss", but i still say that the auto with the "ss"option beats a manual.......but that is just my opinion. I see my CL-S as a luxury cruiser, with enough balls to take most of the "normal" cars out on the road at any given minute.

i like my car for the 28k i got it for....not a bad deal if you ask me

you will have a tough time finding a car with this many standard features, luxury appointments, classy looks and flat out power as the CL-S...that is why i chose this car
Yeah - it is a great luxury cruiser, but with the 6-speed and sub 6 second 0-60 and potential tighter handling this thing is a legit sports coupe like the 330ci at much less of a cost. I know - RWD vs. FWD ... but I think Acura is kicking it big time with FWD more than anyone could imagine. Then - like Audi - they will go on demand AWD and no one will give a crap about RWD
Old 12-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

Boy, this thread sure got ugly after I took a break from surfing to do some work.

Originally posted by DeLucCL-S
i have driven manual transmission cars before, and personally they are a bitch to drive unless you are on the open road.
You my friend, need to learn to DRIVE !!!!

for all those who CONSTANLY complain about their CL-S not being completely manual.....why did you get your CL-S???
As others have said, name a car that was available in early 2000 that met the following parameters and I will eat my words.
V6 or V8, 200+ HP, Front or ALL wheel drive for PA snow duty, 5 or 6 speed manual, Honda reliability and selling in the 30 to 35K range.
The only other car I was considering was the Toyota Solara 5-Speed, but that thing was a DOG when I drove it.

stop crying all the time
As for CRYING, quit your crying about us and go drive your Sloppy Shift to your hearts content.

Shawn S

PS.....I think I agree with everything that mdaniel has posted here as well.

PSS... If any of this upsets anyone, just insert where appropriate.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dudes .....

Let's all step back and focus on the fact that CL is becoming a LEGIT kickin car for BOTH auto and 6MT !!

The SS is good for some and better than any other auto sport coupe for $30K ....

The 6MT will be sportier and I "hope" Acura hopes to topple the 6MT competition is the more sporty area of the luxury coupe market (330Ci ... are there any others?)

One more point ... all this attention will hopefully pull more mods for ALL CLS cars ...

You folks with SS (me for now too) should be thanking Acura for bringing the 6MT even if you are not gonna get one.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Shawn S

Shawn S---u are going to get the 6 speed eh? Can I ask how much u paid for your car? Just curious---I figure anyone who is trading in their 2001 CL-S for a 2003 6 speed would probably take a 10k hit... (factoring in that the car will sell for close to msrp)
For that 10k----I would have gotten a bmw to begin with....unless your on lease..then its all good!
Old 12-10-2001, 02:01 PM

Re: Shawn S

Shawn S---u are going to get the 6 speed eh? Can I ask how much u paid for your car? Just curious---I figure anyone who is trading in their 2001 CL-S for a 2003 6 speed would probably take a 10k hit... (factoring in that the car will sell for close to msrp)
For that 10k----I would have gotten a bmw to begin with....unless your on lease..then its all good!
If he saved his 10k two years ago, it would be worth 12-13k this spring. So he saved 2-3k driving a CL-S for 2 years waiting for a manual.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:04 PM
Banned

I got my car when it first came out. I think Shawn did too. I paid sticker. At the time, it was a victory if you could get just the car at sticker without having to buy a bunch of overpriced accessories you didn't want. I really want the 6 speed but won't repeat my mistake. This time I'll wait a few months for demand to fall off. Then get it at a discount. Hopefully by then I'll have the car paid off and enough cash to paid for the difference without getting another loan.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: hmm

Pretty close, but still at least 10% more than CLS with same equipment.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else love this?