Do-It-Yourself: How to remove a door dent ! ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 01:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do-It-Yourself: How to remove a door dent ! ???

I am very fed up with how many door dents I had so far. Each time to fix it would cost me $130.

I am looking for a way to fix a door dent myself. Any helpful sugguesttions?

Thanks!

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 06-14-2001, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, suggesstion! Get it done professionally, I've seen lots of messed up dent puller jobs or people taking off their quarter panels and using a rubber hammer to hammer it back.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-14-2001, 06:14 PM
Racer

I have done it, but I have seen it done. Use "dry ice". Hold some dry ice on the dent until it comes out. When the car is hot from sitting in the sun, just hold it against the dent until it pops out. "DO NOT HANDLE DRY ICE WITH YOUR BARE HANDS".

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
DOM 2/00
Old 06-14-2001, 08:19 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

The most annoying thing is the dorr dent is like someone took a knife and made a cut in a cake! It is small but very visible.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 06-14-2001, 08:32 PM
Adrienne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marine1:
I have done it, but I have seen it done. Use "dry ice". Hold some dry ice on the dent until it comes out. When the car is hot from sitting in the sun, just hold it against the dent until it pops out. "DO NOT HANDLE DRY ICE WITH YOUR BARE HANDS".

</font>

Does that really work? Does it work on larger dents, like those maybe 3" in diameter? I have a dent on the side of my car behind the door... the fender? Anyway, it isn't very deep, but it's kinda wide, and I hate it.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Someone ran into my rear left quarter panel near the tail light in my apartment parking lot. Luckily, I had the car cover on at the time and it didn't scratch the paint. There was an abrasion on the car cover though. It was about a 3 inch oval shape. Anyway, I took it to a paintless dent removal guy and he fixed it. Looks like it was never there. Plus I had a very minor dent on the right quarter panel and that's gone too. He charged me only 100.00 It was worth every penny. If anyone in the DC/VA metro area needs this done call 703-402-1577 ask4 Jim. It's near tysons 2.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:24 PM
Race Director

Come to Kansas to get them fixed. My professional appointment is next Thursday. Four dings/small dents (paint chipped, too) in four different sections, driver and passenger side. $80.

The best way to remove a door ding is not to get a door ding. No more parking in tight spaces for me!

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-14-2001, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marine1:

</font>
Funny you should mention the car being hot. The guy at Dent Wizards that fixed the dent Keyes put in my fender, said the dent would have come out by itself after a "summer" of heat cycles (it was a small ding on the top near the hood).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-14-2001, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Come to Kansas to get them fixed. My professional appointment is next Thursday. Four dings/small dents (paint chipped, too) in four different sections, driver and passenger side. $80.

The best way to remove a door ding is not to get a door ding. No more parking in tight spaces for me!

</font>
Even if you don't park in "tight" places, there still are black-belt Ninja ding-masters; they will dent your car even if they have to bend the hinge of their door!

BTW -- there are some guys that can be found through detail shops that are ex-bodyshop pros that will do a bunch of panels and dings for less than Dent Wizards (as suggested by your [Ken's] quote). The cost of damaging a panel with a do-it-yourself kit or self-inflicted mess-up vs. the cost of an inexpensive dent pro, should be considered... Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind here!

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 planned
Old 06-14-2001, 09:49 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Even if you don't park in "tight" places, there still are black-belt Ninja ding-masters; they will dent your car even if they have to bend the hinge of their door!

BTW -- there are some guys that can be found through detail shops that are ex-bodyshop pros that will do a bunch of panels and dings for less than Dent Wizards (as suggested by your [Ken's] quote). The cost of damaging a panel with a do-it-yourself kit or self-inflicted mess-up vs. the cost of an inexpensive dent pro, should be considered... Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind here!

</font>
I have one small ding that I'd like to have pounded out. I called a dent place and they quoted me $75. That's $75 for one little ding. Can you make any recommendations where I could possibly find a better deal?

------------------
SidVicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Wheel Locks | Front Plate (Mounted in the Trunk) | Mobil 1 | Polarg M6 | K&N Filter (Mounted in the Trunk 'til the old one wears out) | Comptech Sways (on the way) | Sungard Tint (30% Sides, 20% Back) | DOM 11/2000 |

1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust |

{insert "Green Box 4 Mod!" gif here}
Old 06-14-2001, 10:24 PM
Instructor

does neone know a place in pittsburgh that might be able to do the job?

------------------
good to have a CLS...sux to be in pittsburgh
Old 06-14-2001, 10:35 PM
10th Gear

i know away to get ride of dents, my friend did it to his car, i havent done it so i dont really know if it works... try using a plunger.. yeah thats it a plunger, you might wanan clean it first or something, but try it, get back to me if it works.. good luck
Old 06-14-2001, 10:57 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LazyKiD414:
i know away to get ride of dents, my friend did it to his car, i havent done it so i dont really know if it works... try using a plunger.. yeah thats it a plunger, you might wanan clean it first or something, but try it, get back to me if it works.. good luck</font>
The plunger method works for big dents (I know.. I've tried.) When you are talking about door dings, the plunger method is useless.

------------------
SidVicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Wheel Locks | Front Plate (Mounted in the Trunk) | Mobil 1 | Polarg M6 | K&N Filter (Mounted in the Trunk 'til the old one wears out) | Comptech Sways (on the way) | Sungard Tint (30% Sides, 20% Back) | DOM 11/2000 |

1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust |

Old 06-14-2001, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SidVicious:
The plunger method works for big dents (I know.. I've tried.) When you are talking about door dings, the plunger method is useless.

</font>
Yep, reminds me of that new commercial on late night TV with the cheap-o hand plunger and tubes of paint to mix. Some kind of "Be Your Own Bodyshop Kit" -- I wonder what the shops think when they see what comes in after an attempt at some "serious" body work.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 planned
Old 06-15-2001, 03:24 AM
Instructor

i have actually heard of the "DRY ICE" method also, it can't hurt.

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 06-21-2001, 02:48 PM
Race Director

Just came back from the Dent Wizard this morning (see my previous post in this thread). My car looks brand new on both sides!!!!!!!

All of a sudden, I am self-conscience about where I park, like when I first bought the car. After about a year when it wears off and I get a few more [new] dents, I'll go back and pay another ~$80. Awesome!!!!

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-21-2001, 02:56 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Just came back from the Dent Wizard this morning (see my previous post in this thread). My car looks brand new on both sides!!!!!!!

All of a sudden, I am self-conscience about where I park, like when I first bought the car. After about a year when it wears off and I get a few more [new] dents, I'll go back and pay another ~$80. Awesome!!!!

</font>

Sweet... It must be nice to have a dent free CL-S again. Last weekend I got a big deep scratch in my passenger side door. A good friend of mine was the one who put it there too. ARGH! Such a pain in the ass to deal with. So along with my door ding, I now have a huge scratch to deal with. Hopefully it won't cost me too much.

------------------
SidVicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Wheel Locks | Front Plate (Mounted in the Trunk) | Mobil 1 | Polarg M6 | K&N Filter (Installed 6/19/01) | Comptech Sways (waiting to be installed) | Sungard Tint (30% Sides, 20% Back) | DOM 11/2000 |