Do your gas stations remove "thingy" from the pump handle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the topic title, couldn't think of the right word. I was going to say "automatic lever chock", but it was too long so I went with thingy instead.

Down here in Texas it seems that the stations are gradually going away from having them. Sucks having to sit there holding the handle while I could be checking the oil or something else.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Most of the stations I go to have it. I did get a few on road trips to NYC that didn't. It DOES suck having to wait while you pump 16 gallons of gas, while needing to use the restrooms.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Banned

I guess they do that for insurance purposes? To be "safer", etc.?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Masshole

Re: Do your gas stations remove "thingy" from the pump handle?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pull_T

I go to my favorite gas station specifically because of the "thingy"....I can't sit there and hold that frickin' thing...I got a life to lead!!!!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:36 AM
Banned

Many stations are doing it because of requirements from the state fire marshall's office because of the potential spill risk if it fails to shut off or if the nozzle is knocked from the fill spout while fueling. However, there is the age-old work-around of sticking your gas cap inside the handle to keep the lever up. Works on every pump and you'll never leave your gas cap sitting on top of a pump somewhere.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Originally posted by pianoman41
Many stations are doing it because of requirements from the state fire marshall's office because of the potential spill risk if it fails to shut off or if the nozzle is knocked from the fill spout while fueling. However, there is the age-old work-around of sticking your gas cap inside the handle to keep the lever up. Works on every pump and you'll never leave your gas cap sitting on top of a pump somewhere.

. . . best little gas station trick in the book!

Old 06-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Adult Supervision

You'll have to talk with my girl about handling my "thingy - pump handle."

Old 06-12-2002, 08:52 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
the great Pull_T never thought to put the gas cap in the handle?!?!

ya, in NY, most of the thingies dissapeared like 10 years ago... now and then ya find a stray lying around. but thanks to the gas cap trick... their not needed.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Banned

A Zippo works as a wedge as well, but I do get some strange look approaching the gas pump with it in my hand.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
What I don't get are the morons that pump their gas, with the car ON, while SMOKING.

Dipasses...

Oh and the 'thingies' are still on the pumps around here.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exxon gas stations still have the "thingy" on.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I can understand that. I got gas in Orlando 1 time in my truck, & it did not shut off. Spilled 3 gallons on the ground before I noticed it. I was in the store. I pushed the truck out of the puddle, & had to pay for the spilt gas. Never went to that station again.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
OMG, i never heard of the ol' gas cap trick!!! Dayum...so simple...they answers to one of life's problems!!
Old 06-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Banned

I use my gas cap to keep it pressed anyways.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by soopa

ya, in NY, most of the thingies dissapeared like 10 years ago... now and then ya find a stray lying around. but thanks to the gas cap trick... their not needed.
Yup... they disappeared long ago. I've been using the gas cap trick for years... but typically I only do it when it's cold out. Otherwise, I just pump it myself....
Old 06-12-2002, 10:07 AM
-iii-(

damn i never thought of that shit! i'll try it some dude around here had a different way of doing it: he took out his hunting knife and carved out a notch in the plastic so that it stayed and i quote "heh heh that fuhker bitter stay heh heh" (you kinda gotta say it with a hick drawl). Just to give you some perspective of the people round here...
Old 06-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Old timer

Some have removed them but most still have them where I am. That said, I went to one station, I think it was an Exxon and set it and went to check my tires and when it clicked off I come back and the fucking thing had flooded gas all over the rear quarter panel. WHAT THE FUCK. And the little fucker behind the counter tried to tell me it's normal and the gas isn't gonna hurt my paint etc, so don't worry about washing it off etc. I was fucking pissed. I told him he needs to fix it so it doesn't go over-filling and flooding like that and he said "it's supposed to do that [when you use the auto-lock thing]" I almost smacked him in the teeth when he said that.

Cuz you know it's funny how NONE of the other gas stations flood you when you use the auto-lock, not to mention the purpose of the auto-lock is so you CAN walk away and do other things while the gas fills your tank WITHOUT OVERFLOWING IT WTF.
And I couldn't wash the gas off until I got home 40 mins later. ARGH. Shawn S, you would have shit yourself if this much gas just flooded down the side of your Zaino, and he didn't have any water with which to wash it off. Let me tell you....
Old 06-12-2002, 11:06 AM
Banned

The Great Pull_T......I like that Soop......can I request a s/n change here, or do I need to send a formal Email?

No, I've tried that trick, however, my gas cap can only accomodate a 1/2 to 3/4 "squeeze" of the pump, not the full meal deal. The Zippo does work well on the pumps around here at least.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:08 AM
The Creator

the last time gas flooded down the side of my car, i ripped the tub full of window cleaner off the side of the pump and dumped it on my car.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:09 AM
The Creator

oh. i forgot... ford skimps on their gas caps too! :shakehd: :sqnteek:

Old 06-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

the last time gas flooded down the side of my car, i ripped the tub full of window cleaner off the side of the pump and dumped it on my car.
Excellent.....I would probably do the same thing.

Shawn S
Old 06-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Peace. I'm out.

The good thing about living in Jersey (and pretty much one of the only good things about the state) is that all pumps are full serve, never have to get out of my car, and all the pumps have that thingy to keep it pressed.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by sorty
The good thing about living in Jersey is that all pumps are full serve.....
I prefer to do it myself.
I don’t trust the “nozzle jockey’s” with my car.
I’m in Jersey quite a bit, but I always get gas in PA for this reason.

Plus from what I’ve read here, if they don’t close the cap tight enough the “check engine” light will come on.

Shawn S
Old 06-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Peace. I'm out.

Originally posted by Shawn S
I prefer to do it myself.
I don’t trust the “nozzle jockey’s” with my car.
I’m in Jersey quite a bit, but I always get gas in PA for this reason.

Plus from what I’ve read here, if they don’t close the cap tight enough the “check engine” light will come on.

Shawn S
Hmmm...you've got a point there, some dumbass gas attendant might manage to tap the paint job with the nozzle and leave me with a nice chip. Haven't had the problem with the check engine light though...
Old 06-12-2002, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

In NY most of the 'auto lock' things are gone so the gas cap is the way to go.
Shawn, I know what you mean. Those guys don't care whether gas drips or if the handle hits the car. When I put gas in Jersey I stand in front of the attendant or when he walks away I do it myself. They always get mad though.
I had a check engine light once for no reason. According to the service manager, the gas cap has to be turned 3 'clicks'.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Interesting...here in CA, specifically the Bay Area...So far all the gas stations I've been to still have that locking device "thingy" still available for use. This whole "no thingy pump handle thing" is entirely new to me.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:52 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

I hate the pumps in California with the big dildonic elephant trunk thingy that you have to compress before it will pump. Arrrgh!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:00 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Originally posted by Scrib
What I don't get are the morons that pump their gas, with the car ON, while SMOKING.

Dipasses...

Oh and the 'thingies' are still on the pumps around here.
:pfawk: :sqntfawk: I'm one of those morons!!!!
Whats the difference... It's only gonna ignite if there is spillage and a spark... when you smoke there is no spark.. and Ill be damn to hell if I will allow spillage on my paint!!! No issue, no problem!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:02 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

and yes.. the CAP trick is choice!!! Been doing it for years... People look at me like I am magical...lol fawkin retards.. if they'd use alil portion of their brains they figure out how to do it (not to take away from my being a genius and all!!!)
Old 06-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Casper98CL
I'm one of those morons!!!!
Whats the difference... It's only gonna ignite if there is spillage and a spark... when you smoke there is no spark..
And if you used “alil” more of YOUR brain, you would realize that the the invisible, yet highly explosive, FUMES coming out of the tank are what all the “No Smoking” signs are up there for.

Shawn S
Old 06-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Casper98CL
Whats the difference... It's only gonna ignite if there is spillage and a spark... when you smoke there is no spark.. and Ill be damn to hell if I will allow spillage on my paint!!! No issue, no problem!
I do leave the car running when pumping, as the fire risk from engine/exhaust is minimal (need some kind of bigass fubar spill to cause a problem). However, smoking *IS* a big hazard. Gasoline in its *liquid* form is not as flammable as people think. Yes it burns readily but you need a hot and steady ignition source (not just an errant spark) to ignite it. On the other hand, gasoline *vapor* is highly flammable and very unstable. A spark from static electricity can set it off, as can red ashes from a cigarette. Now when you fuel, step back and get your head down level with your gas fill spout and look down towards the front of the car. You can clearly see the vapor rising from the fuel line. *That* is the stuff that is highly flammable. If you're tokin' on a fatty while holding the handle fueling, you're at a big risk. All it takes it for the vapor to waft up in front of your face, and wooosh!! As long as you're not near the vapors, smoke away.....
Old 06-12-2002, 01:36 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

I do leave the car running when pumping, as the fire risk from engine/exhaust is minimal (need some kind of bigass fubar spill to cause a problem). However, smoking *IS* a big hazard. Gasoline in its *liquid* form is not as flammable as people think. Yes it burns readily but you need a hot and steady ignition source (not just an errant spark) to ignite it. On the other hand, gasoline *vapor* is highly flammable and very unstable. A spark from static electricity can set it off, as can red ashes from a cigarette. Now when you fuel, step back and get your head down level with your gas fill spout and look down towards the front of the car. You can clearly see the vapor rising from the fuel line. *That* is the stuff that is highly flammable. If you're tokin' on a fatty while holding the handle fueling, you're at a big risk. All it takes it for the vapor to waft up in front of your face, and wooosh!! As long as you're not near the vapors, smoke away.....
No.. i completely know that the vapor i sthe flamable part... but as it evaporates and escapes the tank .. it still evaporates and unless you are smoking with your head bent by the tank.. the vapors will not reach you standing by the trunk or driver door.. sorry it just wont! or Id bedead by know... I know possibilites rae always there, but whos to say someone wont crash into a tank while I am pumping my gas, or static electricity wont be a catalyst!?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:42 PM
-iii-(

why do they have signs saying "turn off cellular phones" ??
Old 06-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Umm...the static electricity produced by the antenna may produce enough atmospheric friction to set the gas vapors on fire.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Red X

i think all of cali has the "thingies". we also get weak gas. only 91 octane. and we pay higher prices than most of you guys.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Blacura
why do they have signs saying "turn off cellular phones" ??
They must be afraid you might crash their station into the ground by pressing buttons on your cell that would screw with the cockpit gas station controls?

Who knows, sounds retarded to me.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

You lazy phucks.... :P You guys brag about spending a whole weekend ZAINOing your rides but b!tch about holding the pump nozzle for a few minutes when getting gas....

Babies I swear!!!! Oh yea, all the gas stations 'round here have those thingy's so I can go inside to piss, get a drink, or whatever...lol..... I guess that's why our gas is expenxive as hell tho....
Old 06-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Advanced

we got them in Georgia
Old 06-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Banned

Re: Do your gas stations remove "thingy" from the pump handle?

in Wisconsin all gas stations still have that thing, in NY its a law against it i think because i lived there for 3 years and NEVER saw one on a pump anywhere