View Poll Results: Do you consider Spray Cheating?
Yes, its the loser's way to victory.
45.33%
No, as long as it goes fast, who cares.
54.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Consider Spray Cheating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do You Consider Spray Cheating?

Went up against an S2000 that _always_ kicked my ass from ~50 and up this weekend. He's got just about every mod except FI. (VAFC, Exhaust, Headers, CF hood, CAI, and who knows what else.) Now he is no match.

I'm sure its been asked before, so I'm asking it again.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's cheating, but I'd prefer hp that's always there, not just when I push a button. But that of course is more costly.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:27 AM
'Cooter

i consider it cheating moreso than slapping on turbo's or sc's...guess that makes me a hypocrit
Old 09-29-2003, 06:29 AM
noodles tastes good.

If he's modded and you're spraying then it's fair game. If he's stock and you're spraying then there's nothing to be proud of. Get my drift?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:30 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just another form of FI. I see professionals use the bottle on top of their Turbo. Are they cheating?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:36 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Using it at the track to get the fastest possible time is fine.

Using it at the track to beat the car next to you is like juicing up before a big game, to get that extra advantage. I don't consider someone winning because he/she sprayed to be legit. I've seen to many queers with neon's and civic's pretty much using no mods except a CAI and spray to beat people and clam victory. It's a cheap way to win.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
Just another form of FI. I see professionals use the bottle on top of their Turbo. Are they cheating?

I agree 100%, there is no difference between a SC/TURBO and nitrous. (besides you have to refill the N20 bottle)

Really they are all just force fed engines....

The goal is to make power right?

Cheating would be finding a shorter way to the end of the 1/4 mile. Not running down it with the most power...
Old 09-29-2003, 07:31 AM
Fear the Bear!

Just remember to save some NAWS for the way back.

/2f2f
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Deathlok
Just remember to save some NAWS for the way back.

/2f2f
bringing it up cause it comes out tomorrow?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by SiGGy
I agree 100%, there is no difference between a SC/TURBO and nitrous. (besides you have to refill the N20 bottle)

Cheating would be finding a shorter way to the end of the 1/4 mile. Not running down it with the most power...
Old 09-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Fear the Bear!

Nah, just because that's one of the 2f2f quote that made me bust a gut laughing.

I need to get the original FnF on DVD, but I couldn't care less about the second one.

I mean, seriously...save some nitrous for the way back? Nitrous is used at a rate of _about_ 1lb/minute per 25 hp. Even doing a 200 shot on a 10lb bottle, it should last over 75 seconds of continuous spray. More than enough to travel about 3 miles at the speeds you'd have to be going to even use that much up.

But I digress.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 AM
TRELOS

Think of it like this. U throw on a 75 shot, don't tell him, run him, and then spray. After u smoke him and see the reaction on his face then ask urself the question; "is spraying cheating?" .

Of course real racers agree that N/A power is true power,
non-assisted, no help. If I see a race were an N/A Phoney car gets beat (not smoked) by a turboed Type-R I will say that the N/A car has got some big balls to take someone on that is assisted. Think about it all the Stang has to do is throw on a blower and the R will never have a chance.

Juker008
Old 09-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How can spraying be any different than adding fi. or even changing the headers, inkake exhaust? You are changing the car from its original state, so how can it be cheating if all the other cars involved are changed also? Spraying is fair....
Old 09-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I don't race but I always thought that winning was winning regardless of how. I don't mean like cutting anybody off or side swiping, just car for car all the way to the finish line.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Not at all, it is simply moddifying the car.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Fear the Bear!

Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

/fnf
Old 09-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Quicker than U Think

Its run what ya brung. I only think its cheating if you are racing for $$$ or something and the guy claims he is not spraying and then does. Some people can hide their Nitrous, its a bit harder to hide a turbo or supercharger.

If I get smoked by a Neon or Civic that is spraying, well, I lost. End of story. I could always add nitrous just like them.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

no as long as people are up front about it......
Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't feel its cheating at all. Its just like any other mod that you bolt on. If the other car doesn't have it, its not like he CAN'T find a way to do a Nitrous setup. I mean your still leaving the line at the same time and he's not doing anything directly to your car. No cheating there.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd go as far as calling it cheating... but it's kind of weak.

It's almost like steroids for your car. I mean, if you were a runner, and you ran the mile in 5:30 seconds.. but then you took steriods before a race and ran your next mile in 5:05... does that mean you can really run the mile in 5:05? No, it means you can run the mile in 5:05 with steriods. It's like a temporary boost, like nitrous. And you'd need to "refuel" yourself before a race... like nitrous.

Same thing with a car... if you went to the track without Nitrous you'd run significantly slower then if you had it since it's a temporary boost. Items like super/turbochargers, headers, exhaust, etc, are "permanent" bolt-ons, so what you run is what you run. I mean, I know that there are nitrous systems that are fully integrated in the car... but honestly, most of them are just rigged temporarily to race or run at a track... and that's weak.

When someone posts that they ran a 13.9x with Nitrous... I'm not impressed, but when someone like TypeR runs a 13.8x (or whatever it was) with bolt-ons... then it becomes an accomplishment.

Personally, I don't care either way since I don't race my car... but that's just my .02
Old 09-29-2003, 10:58 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by SiGGy

agreed
Old 09-29-2003, 10:59 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by Juker008
Think of it like this. U throw on a 75 shot, don't tell him, run him, and then spray. After u smoke him and see the reaction on his face then ask urself the question; "is spraying cheating?" .

Of course real racers agree that N/A power is true power,
non-assisted, no help. If I see a race were an N/A Phoney car gets beat (not smoked) by a turboed Type-R I will say that the N/A car has got some big balls to take someone on that is assisted. Think about it all the Stang has to do is throw on a blower and the R will never have a chance.

Juker008

why should you tell him? The only way you should tell him is if he asks.

don't ask, your loss. Any true racer will tell you that.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:00 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by juniorbean

It's almost like steroids for your car. I mean, if you were a runner, and you ran the mile in 5:30 seconds.. but then you took steriods before a race and ran your next mile in 5:05... does that mean you can really run the mile in 5:05? No, it means you can run the mile in 5:05 with steriods. It's like a temporary boost, like nitrous. And you'd need to "refuel" yourself before a race... like nitrous.

Same thing with a car... if you went to the track without Nitrous you'd run significantly slower then if you had it since it's a temporary boost. Items like super/turbochargers, headers, exhaust, etc, are "permanent" bolt-ons, so what you run is what you run. I mean, I know that there are nitrous systems that are fully integrated in the car... but honestly, most of them are just rigged temporarily to race or run at a track... and that's weak.

When someone posts that they ran a 13.9x with Nitrous... I'm not impressed, but when someone like TypeR runs a 13.8x (or whatever it was) with bolt-ons... then it becomes an accomplishment.

Personally, I don't care either way since I don't race my car... but that's just my .02

well then a turbo or SC are like steriods.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Pro

not cheating....race what ya got...just make sure the bottle is filled.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by CLpower
well then a turbo or SC are like steriods.

nah..not really. A turbo or SC is always there... always on, working with your car.

Nitrous is just a short burst triggered by a button... not always on, not always working with the car.

I would say that a turbo or SC is like suppliments... techincally legal, available over the counter but still offers a boost, whereas Nitrous is like steroids (a quick boost for a short period of time)
Old 09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
The Acura Granddaddy

I agree with a lot of this, but I want to play a little devil's advocate. I also have nitrous though

Basically what I get from this post is because nitrous is expendable and will run out at some point it is not as permanent as other setups. What if the supercharged folks went with an aquamist setup to make more boost? Is that going to be looked at the same when they run out of water?

Nitrous with the help of a bottle warmer can be made very very consistant. I don't consider it cheating unless you don't disclose that you have it. If you are doing braket racing at the drag strip it does not matter how you make your power, just that you can make it consistantly.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm not sure if the comparison between NOS and steroids is fair....anyway, if they know you're on the bottle, then it's not cheating (in my book)....if you say you're stock and then spray, that's :thumbsdn:
Old 09-29-2003, 11:14 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Its run what ya brung
Yup. But that being said,
I 'spose I can't say I'm not impressed, but I'm more apt to say plainly "that's nice." Maybe it's just a perception that it is cheating or not the biggest feat of modding, but sometimes, perception can be another person's reality...
Old 09-29-2003, 11:14 AM
The Acura Granddaddy

nah..not really. A turbo or SC is always there... always on, working with your car.

Nitrous is just a short burst triggered by a button... not always on, not always working with the car.

I would say that a turbo or SC is like suppliments... techincally legal, available over the counter but still offers a boost, whereas Nitrous is like steroids (a quick boost for a short period of time)

I would consider the fact that nitrous is not always on a good thing in two scenerios. One of it's benefits even...

1. Fuel, SC or Turbo'd car will have a higher demand for fuel when you are racing, getting groceries, or idling in traffic. This is more pronounced with the SC that makes boost independant of load. Nitrous only has an increased fuel load when it is spraying.

2. Wear and tear. We will all agree when you make more power than stock out of any powerplant you are going to increase the wear and tear (marginally for an intake, definately with forced induction). With a permanently boosted setup you will ALWAYS be putting more wear and tear on the car, again racing, idling, and getting groceries. WIth N20 you only use it when you want to and save a lot of wear on the motor.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Bulldog01

?

I don't get it...?

What did I say you don't agree with?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Not unless you use it and claim you are NA!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
TRELOS

"It doesn't matter if u win or lose, it only matters if u win". .

Juker008
Old 09-29-2003, 12:21 PM
TRELOS

Juniorbean said it best.

Juker008
Old 09-29-2003, 12:25 PM
TRELOS

Juker008
Old 09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

you are now crowned that "Analogy King".
Old 09-29-2003, 12:32 PM
TRELOS

Ya but ya know, even when someone finds out that someone else is spraying they still cheat.

"Oh so ur spraying"
"Yea"
"Really, so how much"
"50"

Then when the race is over the loser gets spanked. He estimated that the guy who he was about to race would lose with a 50 shot. In the end the loser realized that his opponent was spraying well over 50.

Ok ok, so I am the opponent in that senario. Still that bitch wouln't shut his pie hole. so I shut it for him .

Juker008
Old 09-29-2003, 12:36 PM
///M POWER

Originally posted by Zapata
no as long as people are up front about it......
word zapata

i woundlt want to run anybody for $$ then find out they got a bottle
Old 09-29-2003, 12:51 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by scalbert
Not at all, it is simply moddifying the car.
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

LOL

Mantis... I may have to put that as my title under my name

r10apple - I would never post that either (to each their own)... I would simply reply cool or something like that... but deep down.. my level of impressivness would be rather low
Old 09-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Banned

its just like anything else, another mod to help you go faster, in that case, its not cheating

Quick Reply: Do You Consider Spray Cheating?