Do '03 CL-S have Xenon's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 01:21 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Doesn't the color depend on the age of the HID bulbs....?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Dem1K
^-----regarding that statement

Why is it that it starts up all bluish looking tight, and then becomes more white? I don't understand the whole "warming up" process? Can you explain?
--------------------------

High Intensity Discharge. u will have to allow some time for the Charger (a box mounted behind your headlight housing) to charge up. it is hard to explain the whole process. my major is not chemistry so i cant really explain it clearly =)
Old 08-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL

Yes and No. For example. a 01 CLS's HID right now might look a little more yellowish than the 03 CLS HID assuming Acura still use the same brand of bulbs and etc. but the difference in color is very minimal.

HID bulbs will not look like regular bulbs NEVER, doesnt matter how old the bulbs are.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dem1K
^-----regarding that statement

Why is it that it starts up all bluish looking tight, and then becomes more white? I don't understand the whole "warming up" process? Can you explain?
The mercury and xenon gas mix, how can I say this... "stabilize" after the initial electrical arc passes through.

Originally Posted by FunkeeTown
do u guys replace your xenon light bulbs after 1 or 2 years. if i get new bulbs would they shine brighter than the older ones? or do they stay the same?
No, this is a waste of time and money. HID components and bulbs should outlast the lifetime of the vehicle by double (of course with the use of stock components).

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Technically, yes. As the inert gases inside the bulb lose their properties the bulb changes color. But this process takes years, if not decades. OTOH, color also has the capability of change in relation to K temp... 2200K are generally yellow/orange (street lamps), 4000K for airplane lights, 4200/4300K for automobiles, and 6-9000K+ for scientific/medical purposes.

Originally Posted by AmooManiaK
So do audis lose light output or are theirs designed to look that way and still provide enough light?
No, actually, projector style HIDs produced better, more efficient lightling for automobiles than any other reflector-based design (acura CL). The reason? The focus of light is directly put in places that is most important to the driver: front and side-right-up to light up signs. This is generally called a european-cut pattern or ECE pattern. Unfortunately, because of various DOT beaucracy policies and laws, us Americans are stuck with crappy DOT lighting that lights straight, down and skyward. Obvious glare and unnecessary light "waste" is achieved through this crappy design. In my VW, I hated this problem so I swapped out the crappy DOT reflectors for some clean Euro-Cut reflectors and visibility and lighting difference was literally NIGHT and DAY.

Hope this clears stuff up.

Here is some good info for you guys:
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/

Also some FAQs:
FICTION: "9000K is brighter than 4200K (factory HID)"
FACT: 4200K is the brightest output. As the "K" goes up, the lumen/brightness goes down

FICTION:"10000K will be dimmer than halogen"
FACT: HID is still brighter than halogen.

FICTION: "Philips HID kit is made by Philip in Germany"
FACT: Ballast are made by HELLA! Philips (nor Hella) DO NOT make aftermarket HID kit. Philips (and Hella) forbids and condemns any company who uses their ballast for non-factory application
http://www.hella-press.de/docs...2.rtf(WORD DOCUMENT!)

FICTION: "BMW uses Philips, so they are the best"
FACT: Philips & Hella / Osram / Matsushta (<spelled ..hita) components that came stock on your vehicle are the best because they are designed specifically for your vehicle. If you take the same components and apply them to a different vehicle, then it is not THE BEST solution anymore

FICTION: "Philips/Hella components are from Germany"
FACT:The originals were, but almost all of the ballasts out there today come from Asia! Does Hella make ballasts overseas? No, the original design and layout has been copied over and over again! How confident are you in believing the ballast is brand new from the Hella of Germany?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
--------------------------

High Intensity Discharge. u will have to allow some time for the Charger (a box mounted behind your headlight housing) to charge up. it is hard to explain the whole process. my major is not chemistry so i cant really explain it clearly =)
The ballast only stablizes the voltage from 50000V to about 35000V, it's prime job is to keep the electrical arc. The bulb's gaseous properties is the reason for color change, almost in teh same lines as starting a cold car, it eventually warms up.

Though not most people know this, HID bulbs are omnidirectional, meaning they must be installed proper-side-up. If you turn a HID bulb upside down, the color temp drops dramatically. Turn a 4200K bulb upside down and you have (not only crappy lighting) but yellowing of the bulb.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea as soon as I turn the lights on they flicker on a very noticeable purple, but stay like that no matter. My CLS is the first car that I ever put the headlights on during the day bc of hte HID, it actually doesn't look stupid. I did purchase the car used, I'm assuming he changed the light bulbs, they are noticebly purplre, but nothgin crazy. I have seen some wild colors.