Disappointed at Park Ave Acura

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Audi S4 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed at Park Ave Acura

Well as many of you may have read in some of my posts, I was going in this morning at 8am for a crank pulley install at Park Ave Acura ....

I SHOULD HAVE OVER SLEPT AND STAYED IN BED ALL DAY. TODAY TURNED OUT TO BE HORRIBLE.

I get up at 6am, take the 2hr drive up to park ave, get there by 8, sit with Xenia the service advisor and explain to her that I need the recall performed, oil change, tire rotation, crank pulley installed, and my sunroof rattle fixed. Everything goes fine and I walk out of the office and have a seat on the couch. 10 minutes later she calls me back in and says it doesnt look like this crank pulley is going to happen. I was like uhhh...... why's that. She says I didnt realize when I scheduled your appt two weeks ago that the guy who does all our performance mods is on vacation this week. So I say but I personally saw Jens take my keys and go out to get my car to work on it? She says yeah, but Jens decided he is too old to do performance mods anymore so he doesnt want to do it, we have another guy who does them now. I was basically standing in her office dumbfounded. I wanted to flip the @#$* out but I knew that would get me nowhere. If some regular mechanic took my car in I probably wouldn't have been as mad, but knowing that Jens was working on my car and he was FULLY CAPABLE of performing this work only made me more pissed. I basically drove two hours for an oil change and a tire rotation, which not to mention was WAY overpriced. 60 something bucks!? If she had told me they couldnt do the pulley before they took my car in I definately would've asked for my keys back and just left.

As if that wasnt enough, they didnt fix the sunroof either because they said the car was wet from it raining on the way up and they didnt want to take it apart cause water might get in the car. I appreciate them looking out for my interior but christ, haven't they ever heard of a towel? The whole car is zainoe'd its not like there was that much water on it.

Also, MAJOR lack of knowledge on the service manager Wayne's part. He tells me they are a little iffy on doing the pulley install AT ALL, because its a 6 hour job. I WAS LIKE WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT 6 HOUR JOB!? I've talked to people who've had it installed HERE, the entire 3 pulley set in an HOUR! He's like oh well I dont know I have to talk to my guy next week when he gets back from vacation then, and if he says he can do it then we'll schedule you an appointment.

Then on the way home on the parkway, I guess some asshole thought it would be a good idea to install a storm drain that protrudes like 3\4's of the way into the fast lane. yeah well I hit that at about 80mph, my alignment is fucked and my car now pulls to the left, and I'm feeling a vibration that I dont think was there before, so I'm pretty sure the rim is slightly bent. Could the vibration come from a bad alignment? Is there an easy way to tell if the rim is bent? If it is, its slight, because I can't see any visible damage to it and the tire is still holding air.

Then, to top the day off, I am driving to my friends house in Long Beach Island. I miss the right hand turn onto his street, so I make a turn on the next street to go around. Yeah well I turned right into a cop who passes me, turns around, and pulls me over 20 feet later. Ticket for no front plate. Didnt even give me time to give him the broken bracket BS line. But why would that have worked, that is just how my day is going. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Rant finished. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
damn, that sucks all the way around.

sounds like PAA is going away from being mod friendly.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:07 AM
Team Owner

Very surprised about the report from Park Avenue.
They have always been good to me & other members here.
I have heard one or two bad reports about them over the years, but mostly good.

I do wish they would participate more on the board like they used to.

I can see why they would be hesitant to install the pulley.
The jury is still out on those things causing internal damage to the engine over time.
It could open them up to being responsible for future repairs.

As for the REST of your bad day…….SUCKS, but you can’t really blame that on them.

Shawn S
Old 08-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall someone posting that they stopped installing the Comptech supercharger at PAA a while ago due to some problems after an install.

Wayne and Jens have treated me well in the past. It'd be unfortunate if Jens has stopped installs. I was hoping to get his extenders for the Konis (as well as the Konis) installed one day when I upgrade my struts -- with the recent thread about Comptech spring failures, this day may come soon...

I know that NSXNEXT has posted that Marty Sussman in Maple Shade NJ is Comptech and mod friendly. This may be an alternative for those that want dealership installs on their mods.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
They are still better then the dealers by me!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Banned

PAA punk out on me too!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Slimey
I know that NSXNEXT has posted that Marty Sussman in Maple Shade NJ is Comptech and mod friendly. This may be an alternative for those that want dealership installs on their mods.
Not sure if they would install the pulleys though. You might also try Burns Honda on Route 73 in Marlton. They did my springs and headers before Park Ave was an option. They might be able to do your pulleys too.

Wasn't there a post recently about a guy in Jersey that will install stuff after hours at his Acura dealership?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Essarak Huot
PAA punk out on me too!
With all the mods on your car, I can't imagine why.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wow, that's sad to hear. They've always been great to me... Wayne, Jens, Pete, etc.

I was going to go them in the spring to have a bunch of stuff done (brakes, new rotors, and brake lines). If Jens isn't working on the car, I may have to find another place to get it done.....
Old 08-17-2004, 10:07 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
i've seen some weird things my last two trips to PAA but am hesitant to say anything here cause everyone jumps all over you if you say one negative thing about PAA.

I for one believe everything blader is complaining about. Xenia strikes me as a bit weird, she kinda likes to give you bad news and lie to you with a smile. Typical dealership service rep. Tom and Frank are much better to deal with.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by Shawn S
I can see why they would be hesitant to install the pulley.
The jury is still out on those things causing internal damage to the engine over time.
It could open them up to being responsible for future repairs.

As for the REST of your bad day…….SUCKS, but you can’t really blame that on them.

Shawn S
I understand what your saying, but why all of a sudden? They did Chaptorials pulleys. If I searched, I bet I could find more that they've done. Did something happen to question the integrity of the pulleys? Nothing that I've heard of.

I'm not blaming the rest on them I just wish I overslept the appt and never left the house .. lol.

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Wow, that's sad to hear. They've always been great to me... Wayne, Jens, Pete, etc.

I was going to go them in the spring to have a bunch of stuff done (brakes, new rotors, and brake lines). If Jens isn't working on the car, I may have to find another place to get it done.....
He might do brakes for you because they are basically routine maintenance, which he still does. He doesnt do specialty installs as far as I was told. Like if you had a BBK, he probably wouldn't do it.

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
i've seen some weird things my last two trips to PAA but am hesitant to say anything here cause everyone jumps all over you if you say one negative thing about PAA.

I for one believe everything blader is complaining about. Xenia strikes me as a bit weird, she kinda likes to give you bad news and lie to you with a smile. Typical dealership service rep. Tom and Frank are much better to deal with.
please, tell me the negative things you saw?

I got the same feeling from Xenia. I always deal with Tom and I like dealing with him but you can't really pick your advisor like you used to, you walk in and the lady at the desk sends you to whoever is available. I also dont like this .. but whatever.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

very surprising, Jens did a bunch of my installs, too bad he's not doing them anymore
Old 08-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Jens installed my pulleys.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Jens installed my pulleys.
Only proves my point further

Thats what really makes me the most pissed. I made it very clear that I drove 2hrs .. you'd think he could just make an exception and take an hour to install the damn thing. He was doing the other work anyway!

So thats two on the list who had it installed at PAA. Anyone else?

Chap, NSX, did it take 6hrs to install them like Wayne told me...?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

I only had the crank and alternator pulleys done and it took an hour.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blader
Chap, NSX, did it take 6hrs to install them like Wayne told me...?
that sounds like a BS excuse not to do it.

you have every right to be super pissed after driving that far. you told them about the pulley install when you made the appointment, right?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Probably the same thing happened that happened with the Supercharger guy.
Somebody had the pulley installed, engine broke and then PAA paid the bill for the repair.
You do that too often and the owner says NO MORE.

That’s why my local dealer doesn’t do Comptech installs.
Somebody with an NSX spent thousands on parts then said he didn’t like what it did for the car.
They ate the labor and installed all his OEM parts back in because he was a “good customer”.
But the guy ruined it for anyone wanting a simple sway bar install done.

Shawn S
Old 08-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by mattg
that sounds like a BS excuse not to do it.

you have every right to be super pissed after driving that far. you told them about the pulley install when you made the appointment, right?
Absolutely, first thing I said on the phone. Actually Xenia was the one who scheduled the appointment, and also my service advisor yesterday. She actually remembered me from the phone call.

I just think that with only one guy doing their aftermarket installs now, don't you think they should check to see if he is available that day if your scheduling an appt that you know is an aftermarket installation?

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Probably the same thing happened that happened with the Supercharger guy.
Somebody had the pulley installed, engine broke and then PAA paid the bill for the repair.
You do that too often and the owner says NO MORE.

That’s why my local dealer doesn’t do Comptech installs.
Somebody with an NSX spent thousands on parts then said he didn’t like what it did for the car.
They ate the labor and installed all his OEM parts back in because he was a “good customer”.
But the guy ruined it for anyone wanting a simple sway bar install done.
I completely see your point, but dont you think if there was a problem with a pulley install we would've heard about it on here? Most of the people who do aftermarket mods and go to PAA are on this board, and if someones engine got messed up, I think the chances of a thread coming up about it are pretty good. They also flat out told Chap that they didnt do supercharger installs because of a problem they had, and then Jens actually came online to tell us of the problem .. they weren't hiding it. Why would they hide another problem?

To be honest, I've heard of more problems with OBX header installs than UR pulleys. I've actually never heard of a problem with a UR pulley (correct me if I'm wrong). But they install the OBX's .....
Old 08-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I am wondering how Chap's supercharger install is going to be taken by the staff of PAA. If the guy is just coming back from vacation Monday and they plan to do the install Monday, I can see there being a problem.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have always gone to Marty Sussman in Maple Shade, but Burns Honda is also supposed to be very good to deal with, as Neil said.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Racer

I had my pullies installed almost 2 years ago by Jens. I think they charged for 2 hours labor, maybe 2.5. 6 hours is ridiculous. I had all 3 UR pullies installed at the time
Old 08-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh o..... well I knew it was only a matter of time before Jens stopped doing performance installs, since that time the Supercharger bracket locked up that kids motor, but Shawn S. is correct.. The dealerships eat the cost on a couple here and there. After a while the Owner of the dealership says more!!!!!!!!!!

Jens told me he was getting too busy to hit the boards here, I do not blame him, since every DAMN noob that finds his name on here decides to PM beat him with the Questions that have been asked and answered 1000 times, instead of doing a simple search, that drove the man off.

I hope Chap reads this because it sounds like he is in for a BIG disappointment.

Just for the record, I am a run of the mills kind of mechanic, I am not special... I just did alot of research, read the directions 5 times, prepared myself, thought things through and installed the parts... it is not rocket science....when the wrench is in your hand you learn ALOT.. and if you run into problems, you solve them.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty
I hope Chap reads this because it sounds like he is in for a BIG disappointment.
LOL

Since i was told Jens wasn't doing the S/C installs anymore i had no plans of having them do it. I spoke with Peter back and forth in May and he tried but couldn't get Jens to budge.

Since then i've always had the plan of doing the install at a local performance place here on the Island. And that's where its getting done come Monday. I was able to work out the warranty with a dealer here on LI so all is well.

Back to the topic at hand PAA and Jens did install my full set of Pulley's back in January. Labor was like $200+ or so.

Its a shame they're shying away from doing performance installs, they were great to me in the past.

I feel for ya Blader.

Whats your plans now for getting them installed?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Blader--you might have busted a steel belt in your tire when you hit that drain. Thats one reason you might be getting a vibration now...at least thats the first thign you should check.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Beware of leakage

Shitty deal balder, seriously!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:59 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I wonder if this is behind what I am currently experiencing with PAA. On Sunday, August 1st I sent Peter an email asking for a quote for some work. On Tuesday(3rd), I called and found out that Peter was out for personal reasons, and would be out the next couple of weeks for vacation, so I emailed Wayne that night. On Thursday (5th), I called, and after getting put on and off hold for about 15 minutes, I was finally told (by some woman operator I guess) that Wayne had received my email and that he would have Peter get in touch with me next week. I told her that she had just told me 2 days ago that Peter would be out for the next couple of weeks, but all she had to say was that Wayne said he'd be in. I called on Tuesday (10th) and left a voice message on Waynes machine, asking if somebody could either return my call, or at least answer my email messages. Last Thursday (12th) I called again, and Frank answered the phone. I asked about Peter - was told he was out - asked to speak to Wayne ... who was "tied up" with a service technician. I asked if it would be possible to get Wayne to get in contact with me, and Frank assured me that he would give Wayne my message. Yesterday (16th), I called again, and Frank answered. I told him that I had still not heard from anybody, and Frank said that he had given Wayne my message, which is all he could do. I asked about Peter, and was told he'd be in tomorrow (today). I asked Frank if he could please let Peter know about my email and have him respond, and Frank assured me that he would definitely tell Peter first thing in the morning. I also took the time to mention to Frank that it's pretty poor customer service being demonstrated by Wayne right now, especially with all the support and praise that this Forum has lavished on his facility over the past few years. All Frank said was that I hear what you are saying.

It is now 7 pm, and nothing from Peter. I guess it's time to visit Lenny at Tischer, who is a bit of an unknown as compared to Jens, but if PAA has developed a GAF attitude, there's no sense in my driving 200 miles for to experience ambivalence on their part.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

you would have to be nuts to drive 200 miles to get work done unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

i don't care how good PAA is/was.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:41 PM
///M POWER

no dealer is perfect i think u guys ate taking paa for granted when u havent heard many worse and bigger horror stories from other dealers around the country

but if i was in your shoes i would be pissed to drive 2 hrs for basicsally nothing
Old 08-17-2004, 08:57 PM
an adult perspective

you would have to be nuts to drive 200 miles to get work done unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

i don't care how good PAA is/was.
ok ... now we've heard from the peanut gallery ...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
yeah, PAA better chime in cuz I'm gettin that "oh not so fresh feelin" bout them too. Nothign worse than call filtering. just pick up the damn call and make it quick, thats better than playing hide and seek for days.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:07 PM
an adult perspective

well rondy ... you're just around the corner ... why don't you drop by and just ask Wayne (or whoever happens to be filling in for him) or Jens if there is any truth to this nonsense ... their silence (not so much on here but to current/future/former 'customers') basically sends a message that is relatively loud and clear.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
ok ... now we've heard from the peanut gallery ...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:25 PM
///M POWER

i dont get it either matt
Old 08-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by Chopper
Shitty deal balder, seriously!
BLADER* Sorry for the name F*&^ up (Ihate when people do that to me, so I corrected)

Your day just sounds like complete hell
To answer the question about the vibration though. Yes it can't be caused by either out of alignment, unbalanced wheel, bent rim. Take her into a local tire/rim shop and hopefully they will tell NOT tell you the last choice.

as far as PAA goes, that shit was very uncalled for on their part. I mean the stupid cunt shouldhave looked at the damn schedule to see if the person was going to be there. Especially If you were driving 2 hours to come there especially for that, and you called in advance. Whew, I probably would have been ready to shoot someone come the end of a day like you had. I am usually a "hard to piss off person" but this would have made the shit hit the fan. I just can't understand how people can be so absentminded. Nevertheless, good luck on the search for the install.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Where is my super sauce?

To give PAA the benefit of the doubt -- did Blader warn the folks at PAA that he was coming up for the repairs, maintenance and the pulley install? I know when I set up my install I went back and forth with Peter (email) setting up a date with all the specifics laid out beforehand (namely cost, part availabilty, time for installs, and that Jens would be scheduled to do it). When I arrived everything worked out perfectly.

...it just wasn't stated in the first post that Blader actually scheduled to have the pulley installed, and installed by Jens. Maybe they could have given him the head's up about any issues with mod installs before the 2 hour journey.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

how much of the thread did you read, slimey?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
how much of the thread did you read, slimey?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I missed the bottom of the last page

ignore previous post
Old 08-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by Slimey
...it just wasn't stated in the first post that Blader actually scheduled to have the pulley installed, and installed by Jens. Maybe they could have given him the head's up about any issues with mod installs before the 2 hour journey.
Yes I absolutely told Xenia on the phone 2 weeks prior that I would be coming there for a pulley install. She is the one who scheduled the appointment.

I could not have scheduled it to be installed by Jens, because Jens does not do aftermarket installs anymore. I agree they should have given me a heads up about any issues before a 2hr journey.

It also REALLY pissed me off that wayne told me its a 6hr install when at least 3 people in this post alone have gotten it done there.

NSXNEXT got alt and crank done in an hour, NJTypeS done in 2-2.5hrs, and Chap's bill was 200 so thats right on to about 2-2.5hrs. Both had the 3 pulley set installed. I'd love to know where he got the 6hr figure from for JUST a crank pulley?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

OK, OK -- I said I missed one of your posts on the last page. I agree with your frustration with the issues at hand.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:46 PM
an adult perspective

In the interest of fairness to all parties ... sent Wayne another email last night using the 'email' link found on their Comptech parts/install price page after I posted on this thread. He answered this am (5:45) from home and said he tried to reply to my email from work but it's apparently not working.
Apologized for the delay - Peter on vacation and swamped with tranny recall work - but did state that "Jens doesn't do that work anymore, but I have another tech who does ...". Just in case anybody needed any quasi official confirmation from PAA on the subject.

Quick Reply: Disappointed at Park Ave Acura