directions on clearing out headlights =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 04:55 AM
do it yourself, !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
directions on clearing out headlights =)

Thanks to some of the guys that had it done a while ago and gave me the instructions, I'll post it up...

Tools needed: hair dryer, silicone (clear or black), latex gloves, toolkit (screwdrivers), a wedge or something to keep apart the headlights, and a stick (but it should be as strong as a screwdriver that you don't mind getting sticky and messed up)

1) first take off all the screws, bolts, and about 10 clips on and under the bumper.
2) take off the bumper, there will be two things you need to take off:
a)the plastic piece on the top of the engine bay all held by clips
b)the actual bumper.. it's made of urethane so it can bend a little...don't worry just slowly force it out and remember to unplug the roadlamp lights out of the housing
3) now take off the headlights
a) first unsrew everything that's connected to the headlights (there will be a little metal piece that sits under the headlight that the bumper clips into that you will take off too.
b)unplug everything (highbeams, lowbeam plug, turn signal, and light under the turn signal

4)now we take apart the headlights
a)we use the hairdryer to heat up the factory silicone. heat for about 5 minutes. i found it easier to start with the rounded part of the headlight.
b)then pry it apart using the stick (like a flathead screw driver) Once you break through keep a wedge in there or even the handle of another screwdriver. Heat well and keep separating.
c)be careful with sticking the screwdriver deep because you dont want to scratch the chrome parts of the headlight
d)Wait 10 or so minutes to let the heated silicone cool so it wont get on the chrome parts cuz it'll strip the chrom paint. now take out the chrome piece BE VERY CAREFUL not to put finger prints on the chrome AND touching the sticky silicone. Wear latex gloves but be prepared to have 6 or so pairs because they get stuck on the heated silicone.
e)Pop out the orange piece and reassemble. be careful bout the silicone and fingerprints
f)In order to ensure a tight seal with the new silicone I suggest removing as much of the old silicone as you can. This is the worst part. Like getting chewing gum off of car seats but 100 times worse. Get as much off as you can because WITHOUT A TIGHT SEAL YOUR HEADLIGHTS WILL FOG!!
g) Once thats done fill in all the tunnels with new silicone and put the pieces back together. Let sit for a night and put everything back on.
h) to avoid putting it on and seeing that they fog on the road, fog test it in your bathroom with a steamy shower and duct tape the holes. If it fogs then you have to reseal.

good luck for whoever chooses the mission. I'll tell you its defintely worth it. any questions feel free to email me.
langjae@aol.com

jeremy

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S
Black - Ebony Interior - Spoiler - 20% Tint - Cleared Headlights

2000 Mercedes Benz E320
Black - Black Interior - Nav - Chrome AMG Rims
Old 03-16-2001, 04:59 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by langjae:
Thanks to some of the guys that had it done a while ago and gave me the instructions, I'll post it up...

Tools needed: hair dryer, silicone (clear or black), latex gloves, toolkit (screwdrivers), a wedge or something to keep apart the headlights, and a stick (but it should be as strong as a screwdriver that you don't mind getting sticky and messed up)

1) first take off all the screws, bolts, and about 10 clips on and under the bumper.
2) take off the bumper, there will be two things you need to take off:
a)the plastic piece on the top of the engine bay all held by clips
b)the actual bumper.. it's made of urethane so it can bend a little...don't worry just slowly force it out and remember to unplug the roadlamp lights out of the housing
3) now take off the headlights
a) first unsrew everything that's connected to the headlights (there will be a little metal piece that sits under the headlight that the bumper clips into that you will take off too.
b)unplug everything (highbeams, lowbeam plug, turn signal, and light under the turn signal

4)now we take apart the headlights
a)we use the hairdryer to heat up the factory silicone. heat for about 5 minutes. i found it easier to start with the rounded part of the headlight.
b)then pry it apart using the stick (like a flathead screw driver) Once you break through keep a wedge in there or even the handle of another screwdriver. Heat well and keep separating.
c)be careful with sticking the screwdriver deep because you dont want to scratch the chrome parts of the headlight
d)Wait 10 or so minutes to let the heated silicone cool so it wont get on the chrome parts cuz it'll strip the chrom paint. now take out the chrome piece BE VERY CAREFUL not to put finger prints on the chrome AND touching the sticky silicone. Wear latex gloves but be prepared to have 6 or so pairs because they get stuck on the heated silicone.
e)Pop out the orange piece and reassemble. be careful bout the silicone and fingerprints
f)In order to ensure a tight seal with the new silicone I suggest removing as much of the old silicone as you can. This is the worst part. Like getting chewing gum off of car seats but 100 times worse. Get as much off as you can because WITHOUT A TIGHT SEAL YOUR HEADLIGHTS WILL FOG!!
g) Once thats done fill in all the tunnels with new silicone and put the pieces back together. Let sit for a night and put everything back on.
h) to avoid putting it on and seeing that they fog on the road, fog test it in your bathroom with a steamy shower and duct tape the holes. If it fogs then you have to reseal.

good luck for whoever chooses the mission. I'll tell you its defintely worth it. any questions feel free to email me.
langjae@aol.com

jeremy

</font>
Are these BigVs dirctions?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-16-2001, 05:03 AM
do it yourself, !

hahaah..half and half-- with his directions it seemed easy and ended up taking way too much longer than i expected. so i copied and pasted and added some of the harder shit you actually encounter. Props to bgV for giving me the directions tho. I had them printed out somewhere and forgot who gave them to me. Someone else hooked me up with directions too.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S

2000 Mercedes Benz E320
Old 03-16-2001, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Can a mod copy this to FAQ

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:17 PM
White Lightning

What did u do......take out the orange turn signals to have all clear headlights? Man i've been looking around to see if anyone can do this.

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Old 03-16-2001, 01:12 PM
Racer

Someone PLEASE move this to FAQ section! I might need this post in the future!
Old 03-16-2001, 02:20 PM
dlp
Instructor

I would like to see some pics of this mod made at night. Anyone have pics of that? A comparison would be nice....

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV & Spoiler. San Marino Red/Parchment int. Purchased 2/28/01.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1584587&a=12058921
Old 03-16-2001, 03:44 PM
Instructor

now this is what this site is all about....thanks for taking the time to post all the info...good job

------------------
Sundance,Navi,
Spoiler, mflaps, wheel well trim, dark dark tint, nose mask, polarg m6's, lead foot
Old 03-16-2001, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
Someone PLEASE move this to FAQ section! I might need this post in the future!</font>

done.

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL=P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=706725&f=0
Old 03-16-2001, 11:28 PM
do it yourself, !

no prob..i got the instructions from someone on this site anyway so i figured other people would want to do it too... =)

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S

2000 Mercedes Benz E320