Dilemna: bubble in tire - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 04:37 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dilemna: bubble in tire - what to do?

All these damn potholes in MA finally caught up to me and I couldn't avoid them all! I got a bubble in my tire and should probably get it replaced. My dilemna is this, I want summers but its still too early to buy them so what should I do. I don't want to spend 150 bucks right now for a tire but I can't drive around for the next month plus with a bad tire. I thought about putting the bad tire in the back but I still wouldn't wanna mess up the rim. I thought about getting winters now (since I'll need them next winter anyway) except I was thinking about getting 16s with the winters. Is there anyplace I might be able to get a cheap ass all season tire and put it in the back? Should I bite the bullet and get the summers now?

Oh and in the mean time would I be better off putting the donut on or will the tire hold a few more days (as long as no Highway driving is involved)?

Finally (although I can read Lou's thread) what is a good summer tire that gives decent grip and has good tread wear that isn't gonna break the bank? I was thinking about either some Falkens or Kuhmos.

Thanks fellas
Old 02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
I hate the Mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have Road Side assistance still right?

Just keep the aggressive driving down to a minimum...If the bubble isnt too bad you should be OK for a little while , long enough to hold you over to the summer tire season.

If it goes flat, switch to the spare or call for roadside assistance....no worries (although I do tend to push it...Ive been on a spare for 2 weeks awaiting my new wheel/tires)
Old 02-17-2004, 04:48 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mc222
You have Road Side assistance still right?

Just keep the aggressive driving down to a minimum...If the bubble isnt too bad you should be OK for a little while , long enough to hold you over to the summer tire season.

If it goes flat, switch to the spare or call for roadside assistance....no worries (although I do tend to push it...Ive been on a spare for 2 weeks awaiting my new wheel/tires)
Yeah I still got the RSA, as well as AAA (for the wife and me) Being careful is what scares me. I knew I had the bubble and had to smoke someone anyway! fortunately it was a small SUV so it didn't take much.

I might take it easy and ride it out till March. If I get the summers a little early (mid to late March) I'll just have to be smart and not drive in the snow.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a small bubble like the size of a plum that sticks out like a half an inch or so...you'll be fine...but if it sticks out like an inch or more I recommebd getting it replaced. I had a car come in last week w/ a bubble the size of a softball...no lie the shit stuck out like 4 inches..I was afraid to touch it!!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Risky... i had a bubble for a year though. Changed the tire before a 1200-mile trip.