Differences between OBX & Comptech

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can’t believe we have at least 10+ people who have installed these things now yet no one has “pony’d up” for a DYNO run.

And I’m not talking about the one we have from Nashua.
There are way too many inconsistencies with that one ranging from a lower then normal “before” run to the fact that he’s running with pulleys.

Shawn S
Old 10-22-2002, 11:17 AM
The CL Crazy

Now what do you want to know? That they work? Are you just waiting on a negative response on there quality, or performance for ha, ha's
so if someone puts up a dyno are you going to purchase them? Is that going to be the final verdict for you.
take a risk you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shawn S
I can’t believe we have at least 10+ people who have installed these things now yet no one has “pony’d up” for a DYNO run.

Shawn S

shawn, ill be honest, the reason that i bought the OBX headers (and probably most others) is that i simply cant afford to spend 1000 on headers, i mean, sure i could slap it on a credit card but i already have enough credit card debt for right now, i mean, personally, i cant afford to pay off the OBX headers on my credit card right now but i knew i HAD to have them and at 340 bucks, only a fool would pass it up. so i bought them...with a credit card....i mean i make decent money, but i really dont have alot of expendible cash...my rent is high (living in a high rise on the lakefront of milwaukee will do that to ya ) and my car payments arent cheap either. so back to my point. i bought the OBX headers because i could justify adding the 340 to my credit card balance, in addition to that, i installed them with some freinds for free (well i did buy a few rounds of pitchers at the bar afterwards! ) but overall, my installation was free, and i just dont have any money to take her to a dyno......i WISH i did, because im just as interested as everyone else is about more accurate dyno's, but i just cant afford another 70-100 bucks for a few dyno runs. i WILL however have a before and after 1/4 mile time as of November 2nd. my current 1/4 mile time is in my sig and on the 2nd, ill have a new one. i guess its tough for you guys with all the big bucks to understand but some of us are on the brink of what we can afford with a CL-S...to others, its a chump change daily driver....and to the ones who have all the big bucks, 1000 bucks for headers and another 100 for a dyno is couch cushion change!!
Old 10-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Can anyone verify that Comptech header ports match up with the factory exhaust manifold gasket size wise???

Is the exhaust manifold port for the Accord v6 and the OBX a match?
Old 10-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by hinrgdj
Can anyone verify that Comptech header ports match up with the factory exhaust manifold gasket size wise???
Yes they did match up. It is hard to definitely tel by the linked picture below but the Comptech ports matched the stock ports.

Old and New

When ports are smaller there can be increased velocity and help scavenging at lower revs. But this transition should be smooth and not abrupt. An abrupt change in port transition size can cause turbulance and increased back pressure.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jimcol711
shawn, ill be honest, the reason that i bought the OBX headers (and probably most others) is that i simply cant afford to spend 1000 on headers, .......i just cant afford another 70-100 bucks for a few dyno runs.
I understand what you’re saying Jim.
I’m not made of money either.
I passed when the Comptech’s were 1,400+ tax installed at the dealer.
I didn’t buy them until they were 999 from Dean and I installed them myself with two friends.

For the record, I paid 75 for my Dyno and a few people here said I paid too much.
I think most places charge 50-60 bucks for 2-3 runs.
But there are only 2-places within 80-miles of me so there’s not a whole lot of competition.
The 75-buys you a whole HOUR of Dyno time, but I was only there for about 25-minutes.

Shawn S
Old 10-22-2002, 01:50 PM
Pro

Re: Differences between OBX & Comptech

Originally posted by juniorbean
The truth about OBX Headers vs Comptech:

Quality: The parts are not anywhere close to being the same quality, and they are not even made of the same material. Comptech buys their stainless from ONE manufacturer in TX, who makes it to their specs. Can Comptech buy Stainless from overseas for a third of what they pay now? YES. Will they? NO. Why? Because they would have no control over the quality of the materials. OBX is NOT all stainless, it is made from a galvanized stainless -- i.e. very inexpensive to purchase. The welds on Comptech are done by hand, not machine. Comptech finishes the insides of the collectors--OBX doesn't. Why do OBX, DC Sports, Greddy and all the other companies make headers for different cars, lets say a Civic that are $150-300, when Comptech's is $525? Completely different materials and workmanship, and it's the same with the CL/TL headers. Also, Comptech is CARB exempt--OBX is not. There are a lot of things that are different from one part to the other. Many people wanted a less expensive alternative, now there is one, but there are differences.
From the OBX website:
OBX High performance racing headers are made out of pure SUS-304 stainless steel. Dyno tested at low end and top speed to increase 7~10 horsepower. Precision mandrel-bend to enhance exhaust gas flow. OBX Headers will fit OEM down pipe or OBX Cat Back Systems without modification. These 2 piece type headers are easy to install. Value-added bolt-on headers for any racing sport performance enthusiast. CARB exempt.

I'm not saying you're getting the same build quality, but 304 Stainless steel is good steel.

Old 10-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Wires, etc (quote button wasn't working for me):

I called up just to see what the current info is from a "real person" at OBX (650 area code).

1. The person on the phone (at OBX) said the 304 is NOT galvanized. I'm reporting what someone there told me.

2. The same person said they the CARB EO is "pending", not processed (they are working on it).

As a note: I talked to a buddy that is no dummy in the metallurgy department, and he suggested that there could be problems if a material was non-homogenous 304 and used as an exhaust header. The welds would be a source of problems depending on the mix of carbon steel, nickel, and chrome (SS + low or high carbon steel).
Old 10-22-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EricL
To Wires, etc (quote button wasn't working for me):

I called up just to see what the current info is from a "real person" at OBX (650 area code).

1. The person on the phone (at OBX) said the 304 is NOT galvanized. I'm reporting what someone there told me.

2. The same person said they the CARB EO is "pending", not processed (they are working on it).

As a note: I talked to a buddy that is no dummy in the metallurgy department, and he suggested that there could be problems if a material was non-homogenous 304 and used as an exhaust header. The welds would be a source of problems depending on the mix of carbon steel, nickel, and chrome (SS + low or high carbon steel).
I don't think you can galvanize stainless steel (don't quote me, I'm an Elec Eng, not a Mech Eng.). That's good to know about non-homogenous 304 though.

Man.... you know everything..
Old 10-22-2002, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Wires
I don't think you can galvanize stainless steel (don't quote me, I'm an Elec Eng, not a Mech Eng.). That's good to know about non-homogenous 304 though.

Man.... you know everything..

Friends know a lot more...

http://www.interwiregroup.com/iwp_st...wpstock27.html
Old 10-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Ex-Acura Die Hard Veteran

Do you think Acura will bitch about having OBX headers. I dont want to void my tranny.

Dave
Old 10-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: Differences between OBX & Comptech

Originally posted by Wires
From the OBX website:
OBX High performance racing headers are made out of pure SUS-304 stainless steel. Dyno tested at low end and top speed to increase 7~10 horsepower. Precision mandrel-bend to enhance exhaust gas flow. OBX Headers will fit OEM down pipe or OBX Cat Back Systems without modification. These 2 piece type headers are easy to install. Value-added bolt-on headers for any racing sport performance enthusiast. CARB exempt.

I'm not saying you're getting the same build quality, but 304 Stainless steel is good steel.

7-10 h.p, is that for the CL-S ? By the way, 4 pages and no flames to speak of. See, us Comptech guys can get along with the OBX guys
Old 10-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Drifting

~ 7-10 i think that's on an accord ???
Old 10-23-2002, 07:59 AM
Pro

Originally posted by hotelniko14
~ 7-10 i think that's on an accord ???
The page is universal for all their headers. It's probably a number from a Civic or Integra. I'm guessing it pre-dates their V6 headers.