Differences between OBX & Comptech

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Differences between OBX & Comptech

The truth about OBX Headers vs Comptech:

OK, I have some information below from a very reliable source which outlines the key differences between the Comptech and OBX Headers. It seems that a lot of the information that was floating around here is incorrect, and that incorrect information also floated over to atl.com. Since OBX has never replied to any specific questions, we were all left to assume (myself included) that the information we heard was true. Well, now we have some hard facts, which appear to be accurate. I think you'll understand the price difference after you read this!! Again, this is not from me.. so don't kill the messanger

Design: There have been posts about Comptech selling their design to OBX for distribution. This is NOT the case as OBX copied Comptech's design. Comptech, or any other manufacturer for that matter, is unable to patent a header design so it is out there with no protection and nothing can be done about it.

Quality: The parts are not anywhere close to being the same quality, and they are not even made of the same material. Comptech buys their stainless from ONE manufacturer in TX, who makes it to their specs. Can Comptech buy Stainless from overseas for a third of what they pay now? YES. Will they? NO. Why? Because they would have no control over the quality of the materials. OBX is NOT all stainless, it is made from a galvanized stainless -- i.e. very inexpensive to purchase. The welds on Comptech are done by hand, not machine. Comptech finishes the insides of the collectors--OBX doesn't. Why do OBX, DC Sports, Greddy and all the other companies make headers for different cars, lets say a Civic that are $150-300, when Comptech's is $525? Completely different materials and workmanship, and it's the same with the CL/TL headers. Also, Comptech is CARB exempt--OBX is not. There are a lot of things that are different from one part to the other. Many people wanted a less expensive alternative, now there is one, but there are differences.

So there you have it. That should clear up what the differences are. Now you have the information and you can make an informed decision whichever way you go.

On a personal note.. I'm still very excited about my purchase and feel that the gains will be very much worth it
Old 10-21-2002, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on juniorbean. Just what I've been saying about quality issues. Within 3yrs. those OBX headers will be giving their owners headaches. Look at all the poor fit problems we've been hearing about....When will people learn you have to pay for quality!
Old 10-21-2002, 10:37 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
juniorbean, Enjoy your new OBX headers

You will lovvvvee it
Old 10-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
juniorbean, Enjoy your new OBX headers

You will lovvvvee it
Oh I will

should something go wrong I'll get a warrantied replacement and go with the Comptech.. but for now.. I'm happy and am looking forward to having them installed!!

I knew what I was getting when I bought them. Even though I believed otherwise, I knew in the back of my head that they couldn't be the "exact same", but honestly... I'm not worried.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:49 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

It seems "you always get what you pay for." This is no exception.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Pappy
It seems "you always get what you pay for." This is no exception.

where are all the people defending the quality of obx headers now?
Old 10-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

I ordered mine the other day and can't wait for them to get here. Even if they are not the same, you really can't go wrong for that price. Like Nashua said, they show good gains.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think most people knew the quality wasn't going to be the same. We wanted a cheaper alternative and that is what we got.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:18 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
where are all the people defending the quality of obx headers now?
Here I am.:P I've only had my OBX headers on for five days, but it has been the best $340 I've spent on my car. Who cares if the quality is worse than Comptechs when I got them for a 1/3 of the price. If they break or leak so be it...I'm willing to take that gamble.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

What is the warranty between the Comptechs and OBXs?
Old 10-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Here I am.:P I've only had my OBX headers on for five days, but it has been the best $340 I've spent on my car. Who cares if the quality is worse than Comptechs when I got them for a 1/3 of the price. If they break or leak so be it...I'm willing to take that gamble.

AGREEEEEED!!!

fitment issues aside, these headers KICK ASS! the gains are STRONG and i couldnt be happier. cant wait to take it to the track on the 2nd of november!! for the price we paid, there is no question. i sent in my warranty card, so if these puppies ever do rust out, ill just get a new set and install it myself again....id STILL be saving money over the comptechs even if i PAID for a replacement set....i plan on having my CL for at least the 5 years of my loan term so we will see about the OBX headers longevity....hopefully they stand the test of time and of the elements but even if they dont last more than 3 years, i could care less, im still money ahead.:P
Old 10-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Just look at your stock headers can you say Acura Quality...

Galvanized SS is 10X better than Acura's

How about those pictures:

Old 10-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Re: Differences between OBX & Comptech

Originally posted by juniorbean
Comptech buys their stainless from ONE manufacturer in TX, who makes it to their specs......... OBX is NOT all stainless, it is made from a galvanized stainless -- i.e. very inexpensive to purchase.
This is what I have been saying all along.

A quick glance at my Ryerson “Material Selection Guide” shows that there are TWENTY TWO different Stainless Steel grades to choose from at this supplier alone.

They range all the way from several that are certified for boiler steam turbine and pressure vessel design in Nuclear applications all the way down to one (S40900) that says “Low cost Stainless used extensively in Automotive exhaust systems”.

My guess is that the raw material that OBX uses is not something that you’re going to find at your local NUKE plant.
At lease I HOPE not.

Shawn S
Old 10-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Rod
Drifting

Good info., but I also think that these differences may not justify the huge price difference, well, except for the CARB certification for people in Cali.

OBX is NOT all stainless, it is made from a galvanized stainless -- i.e. very inexpensive to purchase.
So how does this "galvanized steel" that OBX uses affect the durability of their headers as opposed to Comptech's? I'd assume that they'll still have a long life-span, correct?

The welds on Comptech are done by hand, not machine. Comptech finishes the insides of the collectors--OBX doesn't. Why do OBX, DC Sports, Greddy and all the other companies make headers for different cars, lets say a Civic that are $150-300, when Comptech's is $525? Completely different materials and workmanship, and it's the same with the CL/TL headers.
Comptech may have excellent workmanship and use the best materials, but these other companies mentioned have a good reputation for also making excellent products (DC Sports, GReddy, etc.), so I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to pay for. I like the fact that Comptech seems to be top notch, but if I were to get headers and the Comptech and OBX headers give equal performance gains, I'd more than likely go with OBX since they are probably also a great product, but just not up to Comptech standards. And for me, these reasons do not justify the price difference, but I'm sure it does to many others. I just hope they do turn out to be a great product in the long-run to increase competition for aftermarket parts for our cars.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Differences between OBX & Comptech

Originally posted by Rod
Good info., but I also think that these differences may not justify the huge price difference, well, except for the CARB certification for people in Cali.

So how does this "galvanized steel" that OBX uses affect the durability of their headers as opposed to Comptech's? I'd assume that they'll still have a long life-span, correct?

Comptech may have excellent workmanship and use the best materials, but these other companies mentioned have a good reputation for also making excellent products (DC Sports, GReddy, etc.), so I guess it all comes down to what you are willing to pay for. I like the fact that Comptech seems to be top notch, but if I were to get headers and the Comptech and OBX headers give equal performance gains, I'd more than likely go with OBX since they are probably also a great product, but just not up to Comptech standards. And for me, these reasons do not justify the price difference, but I'm sure it does to many others. I just hope they do turn out to be a great product in the long-run to increase competition for aftermarket parts for our cars.
Yes, but have those other companies made headers for the CL/TL/AV6? The answer is no, they haven't. I have CTs, but hey for the price OBX are cool. But don't think you are getting a super bargain with equivalent quality, especially those of you who live in snowy areas. Galvanized steel with a SS coating will rust if the headers get scratched on the bottom...and the salt they throw down on the roads to melt the snow in the winter isn't going help. And whatever you think about OBX giving you a warranty for that stuff....good luck.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

I agree.. and this is why I went with them as well.

Keep in mind though.. I put this topic up just to clear the air and put some reliable information on here. I'm not knocking either header. Whichever you get will make the purchaser very happy I'm sure
Old 10-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Quality: The parts are not anywhere close to being the same quality, and they are not even made of the same material. Comptech buys their stainless from ONE manufacturer in TX, who makes it to their specs. Can Comptech buy Stainless from overseas for a third of what they pay now? YES. Will they? NO. Why? Because they would have no control over the quality of the materials. OBX is NOT all stainless, it is made from a galvanized stainless -- i.e. very inexpensive to purchase.

Do you know what type of steel Comptech uses?

OBX claims to use SUS-304 Stainless Steel:
http://www.obxracingsports.com/perfo...=3&subcatID=22

And if it's SUS-304 certified, doesn't it have to meet minimum quality levels?
Old 10-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I do not know what type of steel Comptech uses. My guess is that the OBX steel is somewhere between Comptech's and Acura's. So basically, if it's better then Acura's.. I'm not worried
Old 10-21-2002, 01:29 PM
The CL Crazy

CL-P HP to $
OBX $340/20hp is $17 a hp
Comptech $1100/20hp is $55 a hp.

CL-S HP to $
OBX $340/30hp is $11.33
Comptech $1100/30hp is $36.66
You decide,

Best $340 I’ve spent on my car yet.
Put the kick back in my slug.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Banned

Good info. I just wanted to say after seeing the OBX headers of SilverKnights this past weekend, the OBX are very nice. The inside of the collectors looked sanded down and finished. It was smooth where the welds are. Very good quality IMHO. I took pictures just haven't had time to put them up yet.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just look at your stock headers can you say Acura Quality...

Galvanized SS is 10X better than Acura's

How about those pictures:

This picture alone shows the OBX headers have smaller port compared to the stock manifold. Which would lead me to believe they are more restrictive. Mabye you can bore them out a bit.

I wasn't pleased with Nashua's attention getting scheme when he had his install/dyno. Seemed more like advertising to me than a good comparison.. I wish someone would do a dyno, then again with OBX on a stock vehicle. So we could put any questions to rest. Without any B.S.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SiGGy

I wasn't pleased with Nashua's attention getting scheme when he had his install/dyno. Seemed more like advertising to me than a good comparison.. I wish someone would do a dyno, then again with OBX on a stock vehicle. So we could put any questions to rest. Without any B.S.
Siggy, I have a butt dyno does that count?:P J/K
Old 10-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Another picture for the size of ports: maybe makes faster exhaust pulse, lower torque?

Old 10-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

so who is going to bore out their headers? i'd like to hear the results.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Sick Spd Owner

I paid $999 for my headers, $0 install, and if OBX would have been out 2 months when i bought mine, i still would have bought the comptech. Piece of mind for quality, warranty, and a respectable name. Why do you think OBX costs $340, because they are a nice company and care about customers? And why is comptech not lowering their price? Sure, i can buy the new Nike Air Max and also a Payless shoe store shoe. Both look and fit great at first. But eventually the more expensive shoe will outlast the cheaper shoe. Just a fact...well for the most part. Its been said before and i'll say it again, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:52 PM
The CL Crazy

But if payless said that they will come with a limited life time warrantee just as Nike. who cares guess people with $ to burn or a brand name junkie.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Old timer

juniorbean told us (me at least) nothing I didn't already know.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SiGGy
This picture alone shows the OBX headers have smaller port compared to the stock manifold. Which would lead me to believe they are more restrictive. Mabye you can bore them out a bit.

The OBX headers aren't more restrictive. Everyone who's gotten them installed does states that they give a huge improvement in power. You don't need a dyno to be able to tell that the huge kick in the ass power boost is from the headers.
On another note, nash nighthawk mentioned about how the OEM headers were all rusted. Well, that's because they're not stainless, they are cast iron. They may not look as pretty as the OBX, but the OEM would definately last longer. Cast Iron is way stronger than steel.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Differences between OBX & Comptech

Originally posted by Shawn S
This is what I have been saying all along.

A quick glance at my Ryerson “Material Selection Guide” shows that there are TWENTY TWO different Stainless Steel grades to choose from at this supplier alone.

They range all the way from several that are certified for boiler steam turbine and pressure vessel design in Nuclear applications all the way down to one (S40900) that says “Low cost Stainless used extensively in Automotive exhaust systems”.

My guess is that the raw material that OBX uses is not something that you’re going to find at your local NUKE plant.
At lease I HOPE not.

Shawn S
http://www.jnc.go.jp/zmonju/mjweb/LGtechdata.htm

Look for the SUS-304 on the page...

Reactor Top Shield Plug

...Main material: SUS 304 / Carbon Steel

Old 10-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Jimcol,
Fitment issues aside...... You had to drill holes in a product that wasn't correctly made...... Maybe when these rust out your replacements will have the correct holes drilled?

Nashua,
The comparison isn't between stock headers and OBX. It's between OBX and comptech.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

familly projects can be fun...

Jimcol,
Fitment issues aside...... You had to drill holes in a product that wasn't correctly made...... Maybe when these rust out your replacements will have the correct holes drilled?

OBX finishes and "plates" the outside and the buyer finishes the holes, etc (inside) as a "familly project"

Who says there isn't a lot of interest in "do-it-yourself" projects? (Think of the TIG/MIG wellding learning possibilities...)
Old 10-21-2002, 09:38 PM
Pro

I started my install tonight. I have everything removed. I also have the two new OBX headers in place and hand tight. No fitment issues so far.

I work and a chemical plant, i will try to remember tomorrow to ask one of those smart enginers about SUS-304.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Certified Lurker

Sorry if this was already stated either in this thread or in another, but does anyone have any idea when OBX will be releasing these headers for the 6 speed?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I registered your concern with SSautochrome... OBX has to release one... But I think that at least is should be on order-only product and you would expect a bit of delay...
Old 10-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Certified Lurker

I registered your concern with SSautochrome... OBX has to release one... But I think that at least is should be on order-only product and you would expect a bit of delay...
I would understand it being an order only product just based on the fact that there isnt alot of 6 speeds out there, but i cant imagine that it would be that different then an auto...i just cant justify spending over 1000 for the comptech ones and would like to get these, but cant for obvious reasons....if you here anything else keep me updated. Thanks
Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Colellective27,

try to see if an exhaust shop can make the header on left look like the on on right... maybe it could be done:

Old 10-22-2002, 08:30 AM
Banned

Jimcol,

actually, i didnt have to drill NEW holes, i had to bore out the 2 outermost existing holes as they were probably an overall 1/16" - 1/8" to far apart and would not slide onto the studs...after we bored them out to be slightly bigger, it went on much easier, its not like i was drilling new holes.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

[i]

I work and a chemical plant, i will try to remember tomorrow to ask one of those smart enginers about SUS-304. [/B]
HEY easy on the Engineers,,, if they are really smart they will show you the materials book and let you figure it out yourself,,, then you'll know how easy it is and you'll have a new way of thinking about engineers..
Old 10-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by juice
i will try to remember tomorrow to ask one of those smart enginers about SUS-304.
So, why don’t you ask one that hangs out HERE ???

S30400
The most widely used of the Stainless and heat resisting steels. Offers average corrosion resistance to many chemical corrodents as well as industrial atmospheres. Has very good formability and can be readily welded by all common methods.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mikegunnz
The OBX headers aren't more restrictive. Everyone who's gotten them installed does states that they give a huge improvement in power. You don't need a dyno to be able to tell that the huge kick in the ass power boost is from the headers.
On another note, nash nighthawk mentioned about how the OEM headers were all rusted. Well, that's because they're not stainless, they are cast iron. They may not look as pretty as the OBX, but the OEM would definately last longer. Cast Iron is way stronger than steel.
Sorry, yes you do need a dyno.

WAY to many variables to account for when running on a small displacement engine. Humidity/Temp make all the difference. So if you install one day, and them compare seat of your pants the next. Granted you can feel gains. We were trying to see what the actual gains are. Not that it just had any at all

Seat of your pants dyno is just talk. Be nice to see some solid figures. With a test done by someone with a professional approach, and appropriate testing procedures.

The stock manifold ports will flow better than the those OBX ports. Huge difference. Granted the rest of the piping will make up the flow difference. You would see substantial gains porting those headers to match the head. 10hp easy (crank)

If someone has a micrometer/caliper, they should measure the difference. Then we can calculate the flow difference.

Quick Reply: Differences between OBX & Comptech