Diagnostic Code P0740

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Pres TeamMidnightInvasion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnostic Code P0740

today, i went to go get that code checked and it poped up with code P0740: torque converter clutch circuit malfunction .
Now i looked it up in a search and this is what i found
Assuming that no other trouble codes are indicated and the line pressure is within the service limit, the manual advises to replace the Lock-up Control Solenoid Assembly set (2 components). Then reset the PCM memory, warm up the engine, and drive at 55 mph for 1 min to see if the DTC is triggered again.
If yes, then the manual advises replacing the transmission and torque converter. (There's no telling whether these instructions also apply to the V6 transmission, but these are the kinds of questions to ask your mechanic.
Did they even get this far?) So don't give up yet; it may be possible to fix your transmission without having to replace the whole thing.
So do you think the dealer going to just try and replace the solenoid? I just want some advise from acura cl ethuasist; honestly,because i dont fell like playing around with the dealership?
If i have to do this how much is it going to cost or will the dealer pick up the tab?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles do you have? I'm pretty sure my car threw the same code and the dealer replaced the tranny due to a failed torque converter.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:28 PM
666 Speed

Hey man mine threw the same code. im rebuilding my tranny this weekend or planning to. The acura tranny tech told me that "most likely the torque converter is shot along with the solenoid." He also said that "since you are going to be taking out the tranny to do this and taking it apart, you might as well replace your clutches since they are probably shot too." I have a few thread started on this too...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176365

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175949

Take a look into them.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:32 PM
666 Speed

Those are for the first gen, but they still kinda apply to you too...
Old 12-13-2005, 08:32 PM

thanks guys, i have 75,000 miles.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM
666 Speed

You should still be under the extended warranty. They go up to 100k on the tranny. Go to acura, they should replace/fix it for free... you might not have your car for a few days.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:54 PM

do you happen to know, if they will supply a rental car? Is this code always related to the tranny failure? Anybody know any tricks to making sure you receive a rental car?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by TeamMidnightinvasion
do you happen to know, if they will supply a rental car? Is this code always related to the tranny failure? Anybody know any tricks to making sure you receive a rental car?
Depends on the dealer. The two dealers here don't hesitate in offering a loaner car. Maybe just call around and find the dealer that will supply a loaner car.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
666 Speed

When the tranny on my mums car was replaced (2000 3.2TL) they wanted to give us a mazda protoge... Yeah, the TL was twice the size of the protoge. We argued and got a Mazda 6. They usually do give you a loaner. and argue if they give you some kind of fiat sized POS.

By the way. my tranny blew today. I dont have any gears other than 3rd with a really bad slipping clutch... And the best part is that this one and only gear is in the 2 position on my first gen. Take your tranny in ASAP!!!! they told me that since i lost all my gears, that i either need a completly brand new tranny, or a COMPLETE 100% rebuild. Meaning every nut and bolt needs to be washed because of some weird contamination from the solenoid.

GET IT IN ASAP!!!!!! trust me, i cant drive anywhere. So this is what im doing:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/girl-%3D-evil-176470/
Old 12-17-2005, 02:27 AM

oh wow, man a lot fo people are havin probs with their tranny! I was driving to the dealership when the tranny busted on the highway. i was just cruisng when all a sudden my car staterd to revv really high. The loaner car they gave me was a dodge neon. Do you think i should of argued?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Not Asian

oh wow, man a lot fo people are havin probs with their tranny! I was driving to the dealership when the tranny busted on the highway. i was just cruisng when all a sudden my car staterd to revv really high. The loaner car they gave me was a dodge neon. Do you think i should of argued?
They gave you a dodge neon???? Holy shit, I'm sorry. That's just terrible though. I at least will get an RSX if not a TSX or TL.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:14 AM
666 Speed

A NEON?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I DIDNT TAKE THE MAZDA PROTOGE THEY TRIED TO GIVE.

I gave them a TL to work on and they tired to give me a car that was 1/2 the size. You should go back and tell them that you want a different car because you gave them a car that was Bigger than the neon and you need the room for things that you transport or something... make up a lie and tell them that you want a different car. If they say no, ask for a manager.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 AM
666 Speed

Oh and if they still tell you they cant, tell them that its not your fault that the tranny's they built for these cars die or explode without notice. And ask for the number to Acura HQ, and get the names of the guys that you spoke with. I had it somewhere and dont know where I put it. See every car dealer does this. I was suprised to see that they had Mazdas on the lot to rent out, but still... I'd go back and still fight with them saying that you are not pleased with the car.

BTW they will replace your tranny if it actually died on you. That what they told me they would have to do with mine. But look at the positive side: you will get a 100% brand new tranny that would cost you around $5k or more to buy and install at the dealer or $2-3K to have it rebuilt!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 AM

thanks guys, now i know what to say when i have to deal with the dealership!! I think my tranny should be finished by tommorow. They took me to enterprise and hooked me up with a neon and told me it be $10 extra a day to upgrade to a bigger car. I thought we were only supposed to get $30 credit on a rental car?

Futhermore, anybody know anything about the rumor that when you get tranny replacement they take away power from the car?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 AM
666 Speed

I heard something along those lines, but im not exactly sure. I think that if it was true, that Acura would get sued by someone by now just like hyundai did because they said that one of their cars had more hp and it actually did. So they refunded a whole bunch of people like $127 or something like that. Anyway, if you do lose power, i would take it back again with a wide open mouth and ask them WTF?!?! When they replace the tranny, they give you a new computer too so that may or may not be why.

And one last note on the dealership. You always have to shoot for something that is impossible because then they will give you something that is more reasonable and above average. I have learned that thru previous experiences. Oh and never be afraid to speak with the manager, and maybe even his manager or sometimes the owner. If you go that high, they will want to do anything to make you happy.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:24 AM
666 Speed

They took me to enterprise and hooked me up with a neon and told me it be $10 extra a day to upgrade to a bigger car.
I think that that is total BS. Like i said before, (this is for everyone to see and do) tell them that you are giving in your luxury car because of tranny failure which was not your fault that it was a problem with the design and in return as a rental they are giving you some shit hole on wheels? (no offense to people who LOVE neons haha). And as stated in the previous post, always shoot for more than they are willing to give you because in the end you will not get the impossible, but something that is above average.