In depth 6 speed review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 01:16 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In depth 6 speed review

Just got back from a nice test drive of a silver 6 speed CLS and here are my impressions:

First off, if this transmission were available 2 years ago there is no way in hell I would be driving an automatic right now!!!

Let's start with the appearance of the car:
1. Headlights look nice--they are smoked and add to the meanacing look of the front end of the car. Compared to 01-02: better.

2. Body colored front grill looks good on most colors and I wanted to put one on my black car--but for some reason on black it makes the front look cheap and very bland. There is just too much black without the running lamps and the chrome grill.
Compared to 01-02: Better on most colors--not as good on the black.

3. Where the driving lights used to be DOES NOT vent to the brakes, so forget that theory. Compared to the 01-02: indifferent--I'd probably take them if I could.

4. Wheels look much better in person that they did on the press releases. No problem whatsoever with them. Compared to 01-02: I'd take 'em.

5. Tailights look refreshed. I will switch mine out. Compared to 01-02: better.

6. Aluminum trim looks perfectly fine. Does not look cheap. Compared to 01-02: I'd take it.

7. Side view mirrors are now tinted blue: Compared to 01-02: Better.

8. Slide-away cup holder: No problem with me.

9. One setting heated seat switches: I don't know why they would have done this. Advantage: 01-02

10. Refreshed exhaust tips: This one's a push. No big deal either way.

So, now on to the performance.

1. Stick is very smooth and flows effortlessly from gear to gear--no driver input at all is required for it to go where it should. I'm not sure why Shawn was missing gears--this thing is powered by the force. Shifter could be a bit wider and lower though.

2. Clutch. Very nice. It catches pretty low allowing for easy and quick launches. Not at all like the RSX or 330Ci that you have to eat your own knee before it catches.

3. Whatever they did to the suspension on this car, it worked! The car feels incredible stable and doesn't have nearly as much body roll. Honestly, I would probably take this suspension over my Koni and Comptech combination. Very competent but not too rough.

4. Limited slip differential is simply AWESOME!!! I was driving in a light mist and engaged it a number of times from the stop and this thing just kept power going and forced its way through the wheelspin. Totally awesome!!!

I, for one, HATE VSA!!!! It has almost gotten me killed on a number of occasions when it cut power right when I needed it. My worst example is when I was in the middle of an intersection at a light waiting to make a left and I had to go rather rapidly b/c a car came up over the hill quickly. I hit a bit of gravel in the intersection and that GD VSA CUT MY POWER RIGHT WHEN I NEEDED IT MOST!! I needed to spin my tires until I got traction and power my way through that intersection, but NO, VSA KNOWS BETTER!! Yeah RIGHT!!!
Advantage: LSD ALL THE WAY!!!!

5. Driving experience:
While I can't predict how much better this car would be against the automatic in the 1/4 mile since it was a bit wet out tonight, there is no question that there is power on tap EVERYWHERE throughout the gears!!! I pulls hard in 5th. With a good launch (which should be easy with this car) this thing will smoke the auto. But, perhaps the best thing of having this power on tap everywhere is the fact that is makes the car feel SOOOOOOOOO much sportier and SOOOOOOOOO much lighter on its feet!!!!!!!!
Put it this way, Provench, I'm soory you bought the RSX b/c this car is superior in EVERY way! It feels so much sportier than the 01-02 I can't even describe it. It really feels ALIVE now.

So, in short, had this configuration been available when I purchsed mine there is no question what I would be driving today. This thing has made advances in every catergory and I give Acura the thumbs up for this one--it is a totally different car now.

Oh yeah--the anthricite is nice--but I've seen how grey cars look nice when new and then look shoddy soon there after--if I had to do it I would get the silver in this car.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:19 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review. You're gonna be trading up for it, aren't you?

I am considering getting the '03 taillights as well. I wonder how much they will cost including for our tech friend to install.

Btw, PM me about tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:20 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I tell you--it make me want to buy one and put my mods on it because that thing would just HOWL!!
Old 03-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by JZ
I tell you--it make me want to buy one and put my mods on it because that thing would just HOWL!!
If you have the cash, go for it. Hell, the SC will work great with that M6 as opposed to our fragile A5. But check to see if your headers will fit.

ps - your PM mailbox was full so I couldn't reply to your last PM a couple days ago. Left you voicemail though.
Old 03-16-2002, 06:48 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I presume from the lack of responses that my review was so crystal clear everyone understands exactly what the 6MT is all about
Old 03-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by JZ
I presume from the lack of responses that my review was so crystal clear everyone understands exactly what the 6MT is all about
That and basically all those that have interest in the 6MT have already test drove it :p
Old 03-16-2002, 06:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JZ

Pretty much!!!! You wrote an excellent and in depth review! I know what you mean about the low catch point of the clutch. I was driving a buddies '99 Camary 5MT today and the engagement point was almost at the very top. I stalled a bunch of times Waaaay to high. Lower the better. Although i haven't driven the car, i can understand why Shawn was missing gears; Excitment It's been such a while since i drove stick that got all giddy and was pulling 2>5 shifts The key is to relax and just let the stick flow. It's all about the flow!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:30 PM

JZ, sir, nice review.

I agree with your comments about the athracite color.

I will be test driving one soon as well.

I'd much rather have a stick than an AUTO!!!

I don't understand why acura didn't offer both versions from the get go.

That way there would be no talks of discontinuing our beloved CL.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:56 PM
Instructor

JZ, I drove one today too. I agree with everything you say but I'm not that familiar with some of the features you mention. I had a short drive with the man and I couldn't do what I wanted to. Never got above 50 so it's good to hear it is strong on all gears. I don't think I ever got out of 3rd. I did have a few slight missed placements of the shifter but I guess I wasn't used to the feel. I know with my G1 Legend I could shift that baby in my sleep. I feel the pedal range was too long tho on the CLS. It seemed to come up half way before it engaged and you have less finesse in that position. I was sitting close because my legs are not all that long I guess.
But the 6 speed is a major improvement, it feels like a totally different car than the SS. I liked it a lot. Like I said before, should have been on the 01, bad mistake for Honda to wait, maybe waited too long. They put so much tech in the car and left out the stick, unbelievable to me.
If I can hold out and find one, I'm waiting a year to buy it, let someone else pay the 20+% fee for buying it new.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Pro

Re: In depth 6 speed review

Originally posted by JZ
Just got back from a nice test drive of a silver 6 speed CLS and here are my impressions:

7. Side view mirrors are now tinted blue: Compared to 01-02: Better.

Nice review!

The '02 has the blue tint on the mirrors.