Demo... how much off

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demo... how much off

Last night I was looking at a silver 03 CL-S MT no nav. It's a demo with 6,400 miles on it.

What's a legitimate steal price for this car???

I was offered a decent trade offer on my 02 TL-S
Old 03-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

20% off retail, at least??? Throw in a few freebies,...spoiler, matts, future scheduled maintanance,...ect.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say you're looking at 27K or so.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:32 PM
Pro

***Negotiating Leverage**** Note that any MT car (especially our beloved CL-S 6speed) that was used as a demo almost for sure had the clutch abused. I was even concerned that the dealer had to drive my '03 6speed 36 miles from one dealer to the one where I picked it up.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

6400 miles is a used car! 240 miles is a demo. Check edmunds.com for the "market value" of a new one, and take 20% off at least!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Buckle Up

I agree...used car. Clutch is probably beaten to hell.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Be prepared for their "this is a new car it has never been titled" B.S. Without navi talk them down to$26.5 OTD. Go there with financing from your own credit union pre-approved and tell them to take it or leave it! Be willing to come up to $27K just in case. Also tell them that you want a 100K warranty just in case the clutch was abused during the first 6,400 miles. The norm for program cars is usually 5K. It sounds as if they put too many miles on the car.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"6400 miles is a used car! 240 miles is a demo. Check edmunds.com for the "market value" of a new one, and take 20% off at least!"
__________________________________________________ ______-----------------_____________________________________

This car would be considered a demo, all states have different laws regarding the miles but most demo car will fall between 4k and 6k miles. These car are driven by the general managers and other managers until it reaches that chosen mileage when the get to pick another one and turn in the demo. Also demo car are registered car in the state of residency. U should get that car at least for about $26k because I got a 03 new for $27499 and it was tagged at $27999. I traded my 01 CL-S and got $21044.

The comment made above of 240 is demo and 6400 is used is incorrect. 240miles is considered test drive miles. Sometimes these miles are accumulated by dealer trades or driving from the port to save in truck transport. Very common in the Houston region because it saves the dealer money.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dfv3.2CL-S
"6400 miles is a used car! 240 miles is a demo. Check edmunds.com for the "market value" of a new one, and take 20% off at least!"
__________________________________________________ ______-----------------_____________________________________

This car would be considered a demo, all states have different laws regarding the miles but most demo car will fall between 4k and 6k miles. These car are driven by the general managers and other managers until it reaches that chosen mileage when the get to pick another one and turn in the demo. Also demo car are registered car in the state of residency. U should get that car at least for about $26k because I got a 03 new for $27499 and it was tagged at $27999. I traded my 01 CL-S and got $21044.

The comment made above of 240 is demo and 6400 is used is incorrect. 240miles is considered test drive miles. Sometimes these miles are accumulated by dealer trades or driving from the port to save in truck transport. Very common in the Houston region because it saves the dealer money.
Birch, The pricing dfv3.2CL-S outlined looks ok. Personally I'd get a new one for the extra $1500 if you can.

dfv3.2CL-S, Your right. That's is what the Dealers call them, "Demos". But with that many miles, it's just IMO, they should be considered a used car by the buyer. It is exactly as you described it, some manager got to drive it for a year, or whatever, for their personal use. IMO, the buyer should consider it a used car, no matter what the dealers have decided to call it. My dealer had you demo the exact car you wanted. Mine, sold as new, had 36 miles on it and was demo'd 6 times, according to the salesman.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Banned

I worked out a deal for $22k for my 02' cL-S no navi and $26,600K for a 03' CL-S 6 speed no navi. The car is silver and thats the only different than if I bought new cause than I would of gotten anthracite. IMO offer them $26K or complain you want more for your car. That the trick remember I just went through this first they will tell you that your car is worth this according to the book in average condition cause they never say excellent. Well then bring in you guote from any website that gives you the lowest for their car and put in average condition like they did for your car and negotiate there.

What I did is if they told me $27K I would say you want more for your car to make up the differnence....remeber these guys do this for a living they know exactly how much difference it would take from your car to new car they will play with the numbers but I quarantee it will be close to that amount. On my deal it was close to $5K everytime something changed on my car something changed on the new always leaving us at $5K the only reason I got $4,600 differnce is because i was bitching so much that I wanted a spoiler like my 02' and they calculated that it would be better to just knock off $400 but it was tough so remember DO NOT show interest Ill say it again DO NOT show interest. If test drive say it doesn't pull as hard as yours or it feels abused say anything but DO NOT start smiling shifting threw the gears they will know they got you hook line and sinker. Good luck and poker face work on it now.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
BTW, if they sell you a demo car as a new vehicle, you most likely could be the new owner of an Acura Dealer. It completly illegal to sell a vehicle that is a demo as new. Secondly they need to disclose all service records and if they avoid doing that just walk. Also you can check on car fax with the vehicle vin the hstory of service.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Advanced

UGH!!!

You're going to love this.

First, I had an appointment at 1:30. I got there at 1:15 and didn't actually talk to the salesman until 2.

Next was the trip to the GM's office. I was offered a decent starting amount on my TL-S at $21,000. I was hoping for 22-22.5, but it was a good starting point. Then next thing I know, the GM said he can't let the car go for under $29,000 and THEN he's trying to spin me into a 25000mi/yr pre-paid lease thingy for $640 a month!! UGH!!

I told him I don't want a lease and if they numbers work, I'll write a check, but noooooooooo..... the GM was so set on plowing me into a lease that I just up and left.

I feel bad for the salesman cause he seemed OK. It was the GM that all over the deal.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Health's Angels

Good on ya for walking out. I'm surprised at that as Acura (around here anyways) generally have a good rep as far as sales staff are concerned.

BTW - I bought a showroom demo with 120 miles on it - my concern came after the test drive where the sales lady told me to "punch it", so here I am revving this demo all over the place. I ended up buying the same car for 5% under invoice (the 03's had just arrived), but then I got home and read the part about proper engine break-in. So now I wonder how badly abused the car was during those 5-10 test drives she had.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: Demo... how much off

Originally posted by Birch
Last night I was looking at a silver 03 CL-S MT no nav. It's a demo with 6,400 miles on it.

What's a legitimate steal price for this car???

I was offered a decent trade offer on my 02 TL-S
I've bought 3 demos in the past. I ask for normal depreciation plus $.30 per mile. In your case I'd be looking for about $5K off list.

BTW, the clutch may not be all beat up. Demos with that type of mileage are usually the manager's car (just ask). Talk to him and see if he impresses you as a lead foot. If you are unsure then ask for a new clutch or an additional $1K to cover a replacement (if necessary) or ask for them to purchase you an Acura extended warranty.