Deals on new CL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 02:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by honey2001CL:

Is that for a Type S with Navi?

</font>
Yes to the first, no to the second. I'm looking for a Type S, no Navi, preferably with Parchment interior. Looking to go in tomorrow to Pohanka and need to be well armed.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:09 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by New_cl_owner?:
Yes to the first, no to the second. I'm looking for a Type S, no Navi, preferably with Parchment interior. Looking to go in tomorrow to Pohanka and need to be well armed.</font>
I think you'll be able to get it for 29K + some change. It shouldn't be hard to get them to around the price that you wanted.

------------------
White/Ebony CL Type S with Navi
Old 03-28-2001, 12:53 AM
Rod
Drifting

I would suggest that you do what I did when I decided to buy my CL-S, go to the Acura website dealer locator and E-mail all of the dealers near your area stating that you have already test driven the car and negotiated the price a little and are now looking for the best price you can get without any BS. I don't know if you'll get the results I did, but I had at least 3 dealers contact me trying to beat each others prices. So I just kept calling each one back claiming better offers from the other dealers, even if I had completely made up some of the offers. Eventually they'll realize you're full of it, but by then you'll be in a reasonable price range. I got mine for $28,600 plus tax & tag, without a spoiler or Navigation system. I could've probably done better, but my insurance company was about to stop paying for my rental so I needed a car ASAP. I guess it all depends on how much patience you have.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S
Satin Silver Metallic/Ebony

Stock, for now at least.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:22 PM
Instructor

(A bit long but a good read.)

Ok, here's the update. First of all, the Sales Manager at Keyes Acura was very cool. After trying to work a deal with the sales guy for about 15 minutes, I asked to talk to his manager. He was very respectful and spent a lot of time with me going over things. The bottom line is this. He was willing to go about $500 over invoice (not a bad number), but the current lease programs through Honda Fiance are not that great on the CL-S.

The rates are significantly higher than on the CL-P. Additionally, because the CL is new this year, Honda is being conservative about the residual value at the end of the lease( they're setting them low, meaning a low buy-out at the end). This is good, if you plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, but also means that the payments will be fairly high, unless you put a good amount down. We worked up numbers in the $450 per month range with like $3000 drive off. Again, not bad considering the low buy-out and Honda's flexibility on early termination.

In the end, I ended up not being able to cut a deal because they couldn't give me what I needed for my trade. Apparently the market is soft for Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T's right now. The best he could offer me was $2000 under wholesale (less than I owe on it), and suggested I might try selling it to a Mitsu dealer or privately.

I'll explore both options, but probably wait a month or so to shore up the finances to put more down on my lease and decide what to do about my ragtop. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the top-down spring in LA.

All in all, they were much easier to deal with than Santa Monica Acura and much more willing to deal on price. I'd put them on the list of "good places to try to get a deal".

I'll let you know when I get this sorted out and get my CL-S. Oh yes, It will be mine. :-)

Old 03-28-2001, 06:02 PM
Rod
Drifting

If monthly payments are your main concern in the leasing vs. purchasing issue, there's another factor you may want to consider in your decision, insurance rates. I originally planned on leasing my CL-S, but when I contacted my insurance company and found out that my yearly insurance premium would be $1,000 more if a leased the car, I ended up buying it. I figured this increased insurance rate would pretty much offset the lower car payment I would've gotten if I had gone with a lease, so I decided I'd rather have that money going into a car that I can keep after a couple years or trade in for a newer car, instead of paying it into my Liberty Mutual.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S
Satin Silver Metallic/Ebony

Stock, for now at least.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:13 PM
Instructor

OK, so is anyone reading this message board from around the Fairfax, VA area? I was thinking of going into Pohanka Acura and asking for an out-of-the-door price of 29K.

Sound unreasonable?

I'm curious as to what you guys may have paid for yours in nearby dealerships. It'll help me negotiate when I'm being double-teamed and suffering psychological warfare attacks at the dealership.

Thanks.
</font>
hey dude if your dead serious about a purchase email me and I will give you a personal contact at Tischer Acura in Laurel, MD (no more than 45 minutes from fairfax)the staff is great, no bs'ing around and he will meet and beat any other deal you can get - guarenteed....

------------------
Sundance,Navi,
Spoiler, mflaps, wheel well trim, dark dark tint, nose mask, polarg m6's, lead foot
F250 SD 4x4
201 PE STRATOS w/225hp Johnson
Old 03-28-2001, 07:35 PM
Banned

I paid 30,300 for my Type-S with Navi....2K for the Navi...so, deduct that and 28,300 is not a bad price..I just walked in...told them I know what their invoice is and want to pay $500 over invoice...no more. I understand it is a business and they need to pay for overhead and commission. They either can or can't give it to you. Simple. You can maybe get a little cheaper. I personally didn't want to wait because my previous car had been totalled and I needed a car to commute.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by honey2001CL:
I think you'll be able to get it for 29K + some change. It shouldn't be hard to get them to around the price that you wanted.

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 03-28-2001, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

Yes to the first, no to the second. I'm looking for a Type S, no Navi, preferably with Parchment interior. Looking to go in tomorrow to Pohanka and need to be well armed.</font>
Let me know (here or email) how things go for you as I'm interested how you did, who you dealt with, etc... have you been to any local dealer other than Pohanka?

Thx!
Old 03-29-2001, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Actually, I checked the insurance rate for the CL-S and it's pretty reasonable. It's only $80/year more than I'm paying on my 1998 Eclipse Spyder. I'm just trying to keep the payments decent without sinking a fortune into the drive -off.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

Well guys, its official. I can now remove the question mark from my user name and replace it with "!"

I went into Pohanka yesterday and walked out with a Silver CL-S. The process was suprisingly painless (I was ready to dig trenches but never had to).

I got the baby for under 29K out the door. Suh-weet!

gt7610c: I hit both Radley and Pohanka. I thought the staff at both places were cool and professional. I just walked into Pohanka because it is close to where I live, and because more people seem to go there from this message board. The guy I dealt with was cool, and took me seriously, even though he tried to pull a few tricks on me. Research done on this board, and edmunds.com (as well as other sites) had me well prepared. I'm also leasing my car -- I don't know if you plan to buy or not. Either way, the only thing one should negotiate is the sales price. Oh, and they threw in floor mats without me even asking! Is that standard or was I lucky?

Thanks for all the help guys!

*i'm in love*

Old 03-29-2001, 07:34 PM
10th Gear

gt7610c: I hit both Radley and Pohanka. I thought the staff at both places were cool and professional. I just walked into Pohanka because it is close to where I live, and because more people seem to go there from this message board. The guy I dealt with was cool, and took me seriously, even though he tried to pull a few tricks on me. Research done on this board, and edmunds.com (as well as other sites) had me well prepared. I'm also leasing my car -- I don't know if you plan to buy or not. Either way, the only thing one should negotiate is the sales price. Oh, and they threw in floor mats without me even asking! Is that standard or was I lucky?
</font>
I think mats are standard... what were the terms of the lease (length, money factor, etc). Who did you deal with and what things did he try and pull on you?

Thx
Old 03-29-2001, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear

Hey New CL Owner? Congrats on the new ride man. Guess you got a free car wash on the second day Man your topic has lasted for a while.

Any way, when do we go cruisin? I think you need to break it in down georgetown pike!

Train

------------------
New CL-S owner? i like the back of your new car, its just too bad I gotta see the busted front in my rear views!
Old 03-30-2001, 06:59 PM
10th Gear

The lease was a standard 36 month lease, with 12,000 mile/yr limit. The downpayment was $2500 and I got the car for a shade under $28000. Monthly payments therefore came out to $460ish.

The dealer tried to initially artificially lower the monthly payments by asking me for a larger downpayment. Failing that he ran numbers for a 42 month lease and showed me the lower monthly payments. Neither of those helps you out -- my goal (as for any car buyer) should be to bring down the purchase price of the car, which I eventually did when the dealer realized I knew how to calculate lease payments and knew where costs could be hidden.

A-train: I say we go cruisin' this weekend. You up for a road trip to California? That should be a good way to break her in...

(and who's front are you calling busted up? We don't need no Lexus owners on this board!)
Old 03-30-2001, 09:33 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A-Train:
Hey New CL Owner? Congrats on the new ride man. Guess you got a free car wash on the second day Man your topic has lasted for a while.

Any way, when do we go cruisin? I think you need to break it in down georgetown pike!

Train

</font>
dream on corrolla boy!

------------------
Black Type S, Spoiler, Comptech Headers, AEM CAI, Comptech Springs and Sway Bars...touch my car I WILL kill you
my other car is a hummer
Old 03-31-2001, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Train

</font>
Hey where in herndon do u live?? I work in herndon near the sprint building. And yeah george town pkwy is an awesome road to just drive on. also what color is your car?

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:28 AM
3rd Gear

NOVA...

I live a couple miles off rt. 7 down dranesville road. As far my car, I drive a blue IS300. I was just on the boards giving my pal New_CL_owner? a hard time after he got his beautiful new silver CL-S. If you ever see a blue IS and silver CL-S on g'town pike, holla at us

Train

------------------
New CL-S owner? i like the back of your new car, its just too bad I gotta see the busted front in my rear views!
Old 04-02-2001, 05:56 AM
Rx Master

i leased my cl-s last may for 479 a month with 1300 out of pocket, that included 1st month, taxes adn bank fees and 200 for a deposit or something. 4 buvks a month for gap insurance and my cl-s has a spoiler, wheel locks, sun visor and 35% tint on front and 20% in the rear windows. i have recently added a flowmaster exasut and changeg the bulbs and high beams and added fog lights. u must ask your dealer if u can mod your car up, my deealer was cool like that. IF they are not, check out other dealers or think about buyin. good luck
wg

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
hyperwhie highbeams and corner lights, and eyeball fogs. 620+ posts makes me still a freak on the old Cl page.
my cl-s http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786
Old 04-02-2001, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

NOVA...

I live a couple miles off rt. 7 down dranesville road. As far my car, I drive a blue IS300. I was just on the boards giving my pal New_CL_owner? a hard time after he got his beautiful new silver CL-S. If you ever see a blue IS and silver CL-S on g'town pike, holla at us

Train

</font>
Hey Im right in herndon, Wanna go for a friendly race on rt 28. hehe

heres my email
joe.kim@digitalfocus.com

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.