Dealer's Trade-In Price Determination

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer's Trade-In Price Determination

Finally decided to sell the pimp daddy gold CL-S...transmission has been replaced once but it still shifts eratically.

To make a long story short, I looked up the NADA trade-in value of my 01 CL-S with navi and 47K miles...15K. So I go into the dealer and he tells me they only use the GALVES(galves.com) data and that most dealers use this

He tells me that they can only give me $11,700 for my car!!

Does anyone know if all dealers use the trade-in value from GALVES or is this guy just pulling my leg? He also said that they have no control over the trade-in value and they don't negotiate, it goes straight to an auction. I'm just going to try and sell it myself, even though it's a pain in the ass.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Advanced

One thing i found out is that all dealers use the fair value. So if your car is in excellent condition they will only give you fair value money not excellent condition money.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm here in spirit...

It could be your location in the US but I doubt it. Most of the time ALL dealers use NADA. Thats why NADA stands for NATIONAL Auto Dealers Association. Dealers also give you as far back of WHOLESALE value as you'll let them for your trade. It's negotiable.

Go here and see what your car books at: www.nada.com

Use the wholsale value to figure out what yours is worth. You have to take into consideration anything your car needs. They'll deduct it from the value.

For what it's worth, I've had a dealer tell me they don't use NADA. The next I know, I see the appraiser taking out the little NADA book from his pocket to appraise another trade in. I swear, they'll tell you anything!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I Stop By Car Quest To See What They Would Give Me $10000.00 And I Have 54000 Miles On My 01 Cls They Can Stick It
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on the condition of your car and he is right most dealers use Galves and not Carfax anymore. Galves gives you a more accurate account of your VIN so they probably played you because of the tranny failure. I would try one of those mom and pops places that say will pay cash for your car. If you go to Newark a place called Deluxe Auto or something like that will probably give you the FMV and not the Galves price.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Just saw your mods too..Did you go to the dealer with the mods still on the car? If you show up with mods they automatically assume the car was beat on and play you around for that too. Where did you go Park Ave in Maywood?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskh
It could be your location in the US but I doubt it. Most of the time ALL dealers use NADA. Thats why NADA stands for NATIONAL Auto Dealers Association. Dealers also give you as far back of WHOLESALE value as you'll let them for your trade. It's negotiable.

Use the wholsale value to figure out what yours is worth. You have to take into consideration anything your car needs. They'll deduct it from the value.

For what it's worth, I've had a dealer tell me they don't use NADA. The next I know, I see the appraiser taking out the little NADA book from his pocket to appraise another trade in. I swear, they'll tell you anything!
Naa, in Jersey I've found most use the glaves value.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

They told me if I took mods off they would give me but woudnt say how much
Old 12-21-2005, 08:40 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ weird, when i was debating trading in the car, they were gonna give me $2400 for my 18" wheels that costed me $1300. I just couldn't afford the car I wanted to trade in for at the time... almost there though....
Old 12-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Remember that any of the books like NADA or Kelly are just a guide. A dealer may use that to start with but will go up or down depending on what he thinks he can sell it for. If he's had a CL on the lot for 6 months, he's not eager to get another.

Bottom line is for a dealer to take his expected selling price, subtract his overhead cost and profit and that's what he can put into the car.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by Silver_03_CL
One thing i found out is that all dealers use the fair value. So if your car is in excellent condition they will only give you fair value money not excellent condition money.
I'm not sure what you mean by "fair value". Why is it that KBB and NADA are in the same ballpark figure of 15K, while GALVES is $11,700?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by chriskh

Use the wholsale value to figure out what yours is worth.
I don't see a 'wholesale' option on the NADA site, only avg. trade-in and avg. retail. Like I said before, the avg. trade-in is 15K.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by CL Platano
It depends on the condition of your car and he is right most dealers use Galves and not Carfax anymore. Galves gives you a more accurate account of your VIN so they probably played you because of the tranny failure. I would try one of those mom and pops places that say will pay cash for your car. If you go to Newark a place called Deluxe Auto or something like that will probably give you the FMV and not the Galves price.
Car is in mint condition and low mileage(47K), considering it's over 5 years old. The guy never even looked at the car...he just gave me the GALVES printout listing 11.7K
Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Just saw your mods too..Did you go to the dealer with the mods still on the car? If you show up with mods they automatically assume the car was beat on and play you around for that too. Where did you go Park Ave in Maywood?
I went to the dealer with all the mods, but like I said before, he never even looked at the car, just told me that 11.7K is what they will pay.

This was at a Lexus dealer in Little Falls. I'm looking to get rid of my car and get the RX330 for the wife as the family car...I'll wait a bit to get the bmw 330xi.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by 1coolcat
I went to the dealer with all the mods, but like I said before, he never even looked at the car, just told me that 11.7K is what they will pay.

This was at a Lexus dealer in Little Falls. I'm looking to get rid of my car and get the RX330 for the wife as the family car...I'll wait a bit to get the bmw 330xi.
I'll try and find out if my friend is still the finance manager at Difeo Lexus in Bridgewater and see what he can do for you. I haven't talked to him in like 3 yrs but we'll see..I'll let you know.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:52 PM
"You my boi blue!"

NO! Most dealers use Black Book Values. The black book value is a weekly compilation of what vehicles are going for in auctions. KBB, NADA, Edmunds, Etc. are just online guidelines to help people get a ROUGH idea of what their car may be worth. If a dealer can get your car stock and in similiar condition at auction for $12k why would they give you more. Keep in mind that the CL is considered a "sport coupe" and winter time is not the best time to sell the car. Seasonality and demand effects this vehicle, both of which are low right now. I have been working at Carmax for almost 4 years. I know very well how the car market works. Im not ranting on anyone, i just want everyone to have a good idea of how dealers think and offer on trades.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Oh, and another thing... ANY performance Mods WILL devalue the car!!! Even non stock rims. Whenever you "customize" a car, you automatically limit the market for your car and drive down the demand and value.

Understand that KBB and those online guidelines have no true say what a car is worth. Kbb said that the car was worth $8k would you sell it for that. no. True Market value is what determines your car's value. I just hate when people swear by the online guides so much as a bible. If you like the price that KBB shows, then ask "Kelly" to buy your car and see what happens.

Again my posts are not directed to any one person here, just informing people of the reality.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by 01bluecls
NO! Most dealers use Black Book Values. The black book value is a weekly compilation of what vehicles are going for in auctions. KBB, NADA, Edmunds, Etc. are just online guidelines to help people get a ROUGH idea of what their car may be worth. If a dealer can get your car stock and in similiar condition at auction for $12k why would they give you more. Keep in mind that the CL is considered a "sport coupe" and winter time is not the best time to sell the car. Seasonality and demand effects this vehicle, both of which are low right now. I have been working at Carmax for almost 4 years. I know very well how the car market works. Im not ranting on anyone, i just want everyone to have a good idea of how dealers think and offer on trades.
Thanks for the info. How how can I find out the black book value?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:05 PM
"You my boi blue!"

I think someone on this forum gets a black book sent to them. I have them at work but not allowed to take them home. I know there are online links to the auction values but you have to sign up and I think have a dealers license.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

I'll try and find out if my friend is still the finance manager at Difeo Lexus in Bridgewater and see what he can do for you. I haven't talked to him in like 3 yrs but we'll see..I'll let you know.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

I'd be willing to sell the car for 17K, including all the stock parts(rims, springs sways, intake & tail lights).

Here are some pics:
http://img.picpile.com/gallery.php?id=764304
Old 12-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm here in spirit...

I don't see a 'wholesale' option on the NADA site, only avg. trade-in and avg. retail. Like I said before, the avg. trade-in is 15K.

Sorry, use the "avg. trade-in" value. It's pretty much wholesale.

On another note, not trying to argue here but... I used to work for a dealer for 5 years. In fact, I was a part of the sales team in certain aspects. I was very, very close to all of the managers, including the GSM (General Sales Manager), which I am still good friends with. I did many things for this company and I was almost always around durring appraisals. Although I did not actually SELL cars or BUY them for the dealer, I know all the in's and out's. As I have said before, MOST but not ALL dealers, will use NADA. I can't stress this enough. It is the most up-to-date guide and they are printed monthly. Now, I have been out of the business for a few years now but when I periodicly stop by and see those guys, they are still using these guides. I know the values get figured elseware and it may be Galves but I'm not certain. The numbers given in the NADA guide are figured by an average $ amount that cars go for at auctions durring the previous months. The figures also differ by region, I believe. Take it for what it's worth but I wouldn't use anything but NADA. It is THE most accurate!

$15K sounds about right but you might as well deduct $1k from it 'cause that's what the dealer will do right off the top if not more. In your case, CL Platano is right though, if you show up with any mods on it, you'll get WAY less for it. IMO, if you want decent trade in money for it, take off all of your mods and start over with a completely new dealer. One who's never seen the car before.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Pimp Daddy Gold

If 11.7K is the most the dealer will offer, I won't even bother with a trade-in unless I'm pressed for time - which is not my current situation. I'll visit a few more Lexus dealers to see if they use the same approach.

In the meantime, I'll try to sell it on my own.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm here in spirit...

In the meantime, I'll try to sell it on my own.

That's the best way! As long as you have the time to do so, you might as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Advanced

i am a car salesman and dealers will tell you that they only use galves to steal your tradein and sell it for a huge gross or make a good profit at the auctions or sell it on ebay, but generally most dealers will look at a number of factors suchas galves(because it comes out weekly), nada, kbb, edmunds, auction reports(to see what similar cars have sold for in the past), but one of the biggest factors in getting most for your trade is timing. Iwill give you guys some helpful tips to trade in and buy acar,first you want to go to the dealershipat the end of the month because they are trying to meet there quotas for the end of the month, also go during the middle of the week when it is slow because there are less deals being made and you will be first priority, another huge factor in getting the best deal is the car you want to buycause if that particular model is not selling very wellat the time than they want to move them, also the actual days old or how long the car you want to buy has been sitting on the lot(this is big with dealers) and also the most important thing in getting the best deal is research and after you have spent at least an hour just negotiating, than you have to walk because if a dealer will nagotiate withfor for an hour and then let you walk on that price than that is his lowest. then you can return after driving arond the block and buy it. hope this helps you guys.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by speedB
helpful tips to trade in and buy acar,first you want to go to the dealershipat the end of the month because they are trying to meet there quotas for the end of the month, also go during the middle of the week when it is slow because there are less deals being made and you will be first priority, another huge factor in getting the best deal is the car you want to buycause if that particular model is not selling very wellat the time than they want to move them, also the actual days old or how long the car you want to buy has been sitting on the lot(this is big with dealers) and also the most important thing in getting the best deal is research and after you have spent at least an hour just negotiating, than you have to walk because if a dealer will nagotiate withfor for an hour and then let you walk on that price than that is his lowest. then you can return after driving arond the block and buy it. hope this helps you guys.

This is absolutely correct as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
"You my boi blue!"

I find NADA to be highly inaccurate in MOST of the values they present to people. For example, I plugged in an 01 CL-S with 55k into their website and they come back with a avg trade in value of 14,350 and a avg retail of 16,825. They are on crack if they think the average spread from trade-in to retail price is only about 2500!!!! Most dealers an average spread from initial purchase is about 5g's to cover reconditioning, warranty, commissions, facilities, and profit! Even if they are updated monthly, the market changes daily! When gas prices were three dollars a gallon overnight do you think they had updated info right there and then. No, so people were saying "well kbb or nada shows this amount" yea but that amount is a month old and the current market conditions (real world) shows differently. I think these sights are decent in showing people a value for their car if they have no clue, but to swear by these sites as the bible is just lack of knowledge in most cases. Again not directing this post at anyone, just including some aspects that know the business.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by 01bluecls
I find NADA to be highly inaccurate in MOST of the values they present to people. For example, I plugged in an 01 CL-S with 55k into their website and they come back with a avg trade in value of 14,350 and a avg retail of 16,825. They are on crack if they think the average spread from trade-in to retail price is only about 2500!!!! Most dealers an average spread from initial purchase is about 5g's to cover reconditioning, warranty, commissions, facilities, and profit! Even if they are updated monthly, the market changes daily! When gas prices were three dollars a gallon overnight do you think they had updated info right there and then. No, so people were saying "well kbb or nada shows this amount" yea but that amount is a month old and the current market conditions (real world) shows differently. I think these sights are decent in showing people a value for their car if they have no clue, but to swear by these sites as the bible is just lack of knowledge in most cases. Again not directing this post at anyone, just including some aspects that know the business.

Calm down buddy!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
"You my boi blue!"

I work at a dealer and times are slow = low pay sorry guys