Dead battery or something more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead battery or something more?

Hi all,
I haven't posted on here in about two years and I don't have much time to follow the threads. But I'm having a problem with my 2001 Acura CL-S and I'm not sure if it's just a dead battery or something worse.

I've been living in Europe for awhile and not using my car for 2 months at a time. Then I was back in the States in March and used my car for several days - no problems whatsoever. Go back to Europe for two weeks and return this past weekend.

Got to my car Monday morning and hit the trunk release on the remote. Trunk opened but then my horn started honking "hnk, hnk, honk, honk, hoonk, hooonk, hooooonk" and I couldn't stop it - I didn't hit the panic button. Tried all the butons on the remote and none worked. Finally it just stopped. Had to use the key to open the door.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it and the dash lights come on (check engine, oil, seat belt, etc. - the usual) and I start hearing clicking sounds from the bottom-left side of the steering well (fuse box area I guess). Not popping sounds, just clicking. Car was going nowhere! By the way, the 'P' light was on and the 'D5' light was flashing.

Walk to work and have someone jump my car that night. Car started right up - I drove it for 30 minutes - parked it. During the drive, the Check Engine light was on. Stopped the car and then started it again with no issues. Thought all was good.

Get to my car Tues morning, open the trunk with the remote and no horn problems. Get into the car and it wouldn't start again but the dash lights were on.

So, is this just a dead battery or do I have a much bigger issue on my hands? I know this is a long story just to find out it's a dead battery but at least you have all of the details.

Just want to get your feedback before I have someone jump my car Sat morning and I go to have my battery replaced only to find out that it's something more serious. I've never seen a Check Engine light come on for a dead battery before.

TIA for your input,

Rob
Old 04-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. It does sound electrical, like your battery won't hold the charge. If you're still on the OEM battery and have deep discharged it a few times by non-use, this does seem probable.

Probably the simplest (and cheapest) solution would be to drive it by an AutoZone/PepBoys/Sears/etc and have them check the battery and replace if it's bad. They can also scan the OBDII and tell you what code the CEL threw.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just changed my battery out a few days ago....the battery is dead. it will just click around and if you jump it, sometimes the check engine or maint req'd or abs lights will come on and go off.