Dashboard rattles!!! I have 2 not one!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dashboard rattles!!! I have 2 not one!

I should call the CLS the rattles city!

Okay I maneged to silence the center brake light rattles by stuffing some syntetic foam bubbles between the brake the light and rear windshield.

I hoped that I solved the annoying rattle, boy, was I wrong?

You bet, 2 more ratlles showed up in the freaking dashborad.

The first rattle surfaced near the passenger airbag . it's not like a rubbing between dashboard and the windshield but rather it sounds like looe plastics pin or flap that is rattling behind and below the airbag And I checked, it's not the glovebox or anything lose in the glovebox.

The next one showed up just behind the gauges clutser, It sound almost the first ratlle, annyoying like a freaking sore toe.

Any clues how to silence those nosie trouble makers
Old 01-07-2002, 10:26 AM
2010 Acura MDX Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that......rattles have got to be the most annoying thing on a car....and I now have one on my new 2002 with only 160 miles on it! I thought it was the rear panel, as most have described here, but this weekend I had my wife drive the car around while I kneeled in the back seat and tried to locate the source of the noise. It seems to be the rear window, on the drivers sided, where it meets the pillar. Anyone else have a rattle here, or am I the "lucky first" for this one. Oh....and both remotes have stopped opening the trunk. Guess I'll bring it in for service on Wednesday.......
Old 01-07-2002, 10:27 AM

i actually started getting a rattle fromthe front of the car yesterday. I cant tell where is from though.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

When I pulled out my dash panel to run my remote V1 display cable, I noticed that most of the pins that hold all the plastic together did not have the metal clips seated properly.
After pushing them all on correctly, my dash is solid.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Advanced

DAMN RATTLES!

I have the same rattles in my car too! If you hear rattling coming from the front passenger airbag area it's actually coming from the pillar close the airbag. How do I know this? I had my fiance listen to the rattling and she found the culprit in less than 30 seconds. She said that it was coming from the passenger support pillar(where the tweeter is located). She pressed on the edge where the plastic meets the glass and the rattling suddenly stopped! I'm thinking of either gluing the loose plastic pillar down or I'm going to shove some cotton balls to buffer the plastic from the glass. I've owned 2 Acura's now and I think this will be my last. My 97 CL 3.0 never had rattles even after 5 accidents!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by HeavyDPG
Oh....and both remotes have stopped opening the trunk. Guess I'll bring it in for service on Wednesday.......
Did you check and see if you locked the trunk? I thought there was a button in the glovebox where you can lock the trunk permenatily, i might be wrong though but I know theres a button for hte trunk there. Otherwise I dunno, mine takes too long to open, i have to hold the button for like 5-10 secs for it to open.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that......rattles have got to be the most annoying thing on a car....and I now have one on my new 2002 with only 160 miles on it! I thought it was the rear panel, as most have described here, but this weekend I had my wife drive the car around while I kneeled in the back seat and tried to locate the source of the noise. It seems to be the rear window, on the drivers sided, where it meets the pillar. Anyone else have a rattle here, or am I the "lucky first" for this one. Oh....and both remotes have stopped opening the trunk. Guess I'll bring it in for service on Wednesday.......
Ive got a mystery squeek in the same place!! But it disappears when i take it in. Son of a bitch. That is annoying as hell. It starts echoing in my head when i am driving around
Old 01-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

I had the same problem. This awful creak coming from what seemed like the back seat. I got someone to drive and sat in the back. I could not find where it was coming from. It almost sounded like it was the rear window creaking. Anyway after furthur investigation I pulled down the overhead lining a little and discovered that it is this little piece of metal with white plastic things clipped into it stuck onto the window with sticky pad. If I pushed on the metal it would stop creaking. When I got home a I sprayed some wd-40 on the sticky pad and also put vaseline around it, then pushed the metal piece up hard with a screwdriver. Since then it hasn't creaked again. This is on the drivers side in the back.

Now I just have to get my windshield that leaks water fixed!
Old 01-07-2002, 01:59 PM
2010 Acura MDX Tech

Thanks for the info on the back window. I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow......or at least print out your fix and show it to my dealer on Wed!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Advanced

2001 CL S, bought new 2 months old, 4,000 miles...
this just started:
When accelerating or slowing (both) in normal driving or going over speed bumps there is a thunk - sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box. Emptyed the g. box thinking something was flopping back and forth in there. No dice.

Sounds like an air door that has lost its spring or something because there is a little follow-on noise after the thunk.
Have tried all combos of a/c, recirc - no change in the thunk.

Ideas appreciated, it is really loud and annoying !

Old 01-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by wissahickon

I had the same problem. This awful creak coming from what seemed like the back seat. I got someone to drive and sat in the back. I could not find where it was coming from. It almost sounded like it was the rear window creaking. Anyway after furthur investigation I pulled down the overhead lining a little and discovered that it is this little piece of metal with white plastic things clipped into it stuck onto the window with sticky pad. If I pushed on the metal it would stop creaking. When I got home a I sprayed some wd-40 on the sticky pad and also put vaseline around it, then pushed the metal piece up hard with a screwdriver. Since then it hasn't creaked again. This is on the drivers side in the back.

Now I just have to get my windshield that leaks water fixed!
Here are pictures of where the rattle (creak) was coming from and the actual piece that was making the sound. It was hard to get a clear picture of the piece.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

piece that was creaking/rattling
Old 01-08-2002, 08:23 PM
2010 Acura MDX Tech

Thanks for the photos! I'll make sure I point this out at the dealer Wed am.

Thanks all for the suggestions on the trunk remote.......holding the button for 4-6 seconds seems to do the trick (could've sworn that I only had to touch it when I first took delivery!!!)
Old 01-08-2002, 08:40 PM
2010 Acura MDX Tech

Thanks for the photos! I'll make sure I point this out at the dealer Wed am.

Thanks all for the suggestions on the trunk remote.......holding the button for 4-6 seconds seems to do the trick (could've sworn that I only had to touch it when I first took delivery!!!)
Old 01-09-2002, 06:29 PM
2010 Acura MDX Tech

Well - after my one-week-old 2002 spent all day at the service dept , it looks like it gets to spend the night there too. They don't know what's causing the rattle, so they're bringing in a "glass expert" Said they might have to put in a new rear glass, or new seals, or whatever. Why do I get the feeling that I should be very afraid??? Think I should seek some compensation from dealer??!!!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:49 AM
9th Gear

The rattle that comes for the rear is the brake light and the rear shelf where the speakers are on. Have Acura move the rear shelf down a little away from the glass. This will make a huge difference in the rattling It wont go away completely but it sounds alot better . The brake light is tricky the housing of the light has thin sides that rattle over bumps and when the bass is on I would say maybe tape the brake light tight to hold the corners together
Old 03-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Count me in too, Dashboard rattles, rear speaker covers(i think) and some new place down by my feet?!, Tranny problems! I ready for a new car!