Dash kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 07:02 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash kits?

Does anyone made a carbon fiber or brushed aluminum dash for the CL-S has anyone tried one of these how hard is it to install?
Old 01-22-2001, 08:45 PM
6SPDCLS

I got one.

From wooddash.com

They are legit!

They carry:

Simulated Burlwood, roosewood, simulated aluminium, carbon fiber (in 5 colors), and some real wood stuff (haven't tried those before).

They come in a big flat box and they are all FLAT. Take the flat piece and with a blower dryer on HIGH, heat the pieces so that it can contour to the shape of your dash parts. This is to make sure it is shaped (for curved surfaces, etc) before you permanently put the wood dash on.

Then when you are ready, you apply the primer (that comes with the kit) on the dash surface.

Then take the contoured piece and remove the seal film and then slowly apply it to the dash pushing firmly on the wood dash surface to make contact with the plastic dash. Then you take a hair dryer and dry while you push to seal.

Once it's done right, it'll look bad ass. Cheap looking if you mess up. Be careful of the cupholder area. I messed up there big time and I couldn't remove the wood dash after it was sealed. It's that permanent!

I haven't tried the other parts but I think wooddash.com only offers (for our car), the factory match.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-22-2001, 09:09 PM
Learn to swim.

I was thinking of a carbon fiber interior, or brushed aluminum maybe, anyone have any pics? The only things I'm really worried about are longevity, fading, and residue if I decide to remove(if at all possible) the overlays.--Don't want anything that won't look good for the life of the car that I can't remove/replace.
Old 01-22-2001, 10:26 PM
Pro

Do you remove the current dash or istall the new one over it? and can you post pics?
Old 01-22-2001, 10:54 PM
6SPDCLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [DWI]:
Do you remove the current dash or istall the new one over it? and can you post pics?</font>

I don't have a digital camera

You do not need to remove the dash at all. Just "paste" over it. Don't worry, it doesn't make it look that cheap. It's very high gloss and the edges are rounded..so it doesn't look like a piece of simulated wood over your dash.

But you have to remember to heat it with a hair dryer to bend it into shape..once into shape, remove the adhesive cover and then stick over the dash (that must be primed with the accompanied primer pack first)...it will hold forever...this stuff sticks so good, you can't remove it after you put it on!

So take your time. i will try to post some pictures up. I have a Silver CLS with black interior. It really makes it a lot better looking (because of that high gloss black).

[This message has been edited by DDT-TypeS (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-22-2001, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

There something for wood in these:

http://www.woodtrim.com/ <---- (Joshua Tree site)

http://www.exoticwooddash.com/hotlinks.htm

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White\Black\Navi\Comptech Springs+Sways\Burl Shifter\Guards\Smokers Package
Old 01-22-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
test
Old 01-22-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro

I have the brushed aluminum dash kit. Looks sweet but MAN was it a biatch to install!!
I had to preform some pieces and that was not easy. With the fake aluminum kit you don't have to preform it, but I must say its worth the effort for the real stuff, looks much better. IMO. I'd post pics but I don't have a digi or a scanner.
Old 01-23-2001, 01:58 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StypeCL:
I have the brushed aluminum dash kit. Looks sweet but MAN was it a biatch to install!!
I had to preform some pieces and that was not easy. With the fake aluminum kit you don't have to preform it, but I must say its worth the effort for the real stuff, looks much better. IMO. I'd post pics but I don't have a digi or a scanner.
</font>
How do you install it? Does it like stick to the dash?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-23-2001, 09:25 AM
900 club member

I got my black carbon fiber kit from Joshuatree. The kit was real nice - fit perfectly and went on without a hitch. The only problem is that in the cold, the cup holder doors get hung up a little - I took my wife's nail file and filed down the edge and it works great now. If I had to do another one, I would definately put the cup holder peices closer together to give it more clearance. It comes flat, but it bends easily when it gets warm. My kit in my previous car lasted 5 years and looked great till the day that I kissed her goodbye.

------------------
sundance gold - no nav,17%tint,black carbon fiber dash kit, whole bunch of dealer accessories.
1981 Porsche 911 SC since new.
2000 VW Turbo Beetle
Old 01-24-2001, 10:51 PM
Pro

WEBTOKER----- Ya, it just sticks on. Once its on its on!
Old 01-26-2001, 05:25 AM
Intermediate

hey StypeCL,

Do you have any pics of the brushed aluminum?? I ma trying to decide right now whether to the brushed aluminum or the dark wood (i have the dark wood right now).

------------------
2001 Type-S, Silver, Nav,
Old 01-26-2001, 10:15 AM
Instructor

I would like to do all the blackwood in my car in brushed Aluminum. Has anyone seen it done?

------------------
Sundance Gold
Comptech spring's
Still waiting for my car audio system to arrive
M-10 Blinder
V1-Remote
Old 01-26-2001, 03:32 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

I called Exotic Wood Dashes about it, I decided I'd rather not get it, car looks fine as it is. This sounds stupid, but my philosophy is "it's what the car does for me, not others."

------------------
TL Forum Moderator
Rumors/Trends Forum Moderator
Advertising Committee
...at Honda-Acura.net
Old 01-26-2001, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To rickm..................how does the carbon fiber look next to the black wood?? No clash?? I've been wanting to add something but don't know if it should be more black wood, silver, or the fiber which I really like.

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570