Damn Insurance Companies. Help me Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Damn Insurance Companies. Help me Out

Well gf gets hit by a lady who has only $10,000 coverage with Safe Auto. They appraise my gfs car at 14,300 plus tax. Safe Auto says it is 100% guaranteed totaled. We start looking for cars and 3 days later, the Safe Auto lady calls and tells us the girl only has 10,000 worth of coverage. Therefore they can't give my gf all the money for her car.

Now my gf has to go through her insurance company(Geico), For the past week, the Geico adjuster has been trying to get into the storage free place to view the car, but Safe Auto has never given the adjutser permission. Well 3 days ago, my gf buys another car because the Safe Auto lady said the car is DEFINITELY TOTALED. Finally, today the Geico adjuster can get into the lot and she calls and says, "YOUR CAR IS NOT TOTALED AND IS VALUED AT $17,900" for a 2002 CL-S with Navi with 83,000 miles Therefore there has to be $12,000 in damage for it to be totaled or else we will fix it....

How can they do this, and do you think this car is totaled, picture will be listed below...
Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the insurance companies fight it out. I hope your gf has underinsured proctection.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

She does, but the thing is, she already bought another car when Safe Auto said it was totaled. And now Geico is saying its not totaled because of the car value.

Safe Auto Amount- 14,300 plus tax
Geico Amount-17,000 plus tax
Old 11-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pits200
Well gf gets hit by a lady who has only $10,000 coverage with Safe Auto. They appraise my gfs car at 14,300 plus tax. Safe Auto says it is 100% guaranteed totaled. We start looking for cars and 3 days later, the Safe Auto lady calls and tells us the girl only has 10,000 worth of coverage. Therefore they can't give my gf all the money for her car.

Now my gf has to go through her insurance company(Geico), For the past week, the Geico adjuster has been trying to get into the storage free place to view the car, but Safe Auto has never given the adjutser permission. Well 3 days ago, my gf buys another car because the Safe Auto lady said the car is DEFINITELY TOTALED. Finally, today the Geico adjuster can get into the lot and she calls and says, "YOUR CAR IS NOT TOTALED AND IS VALUED AT $17,900" for a 2002 CL-S with Navi with 83,000 miles Therefore there has to be $12,000 in damage for it to be totaled or else we will fix it....

How can they do this, and do you think this car is totaled, picture will be listed below...
Wow that is very unfortunate!! I work in insurance and if your GF was my insured I would have advised her to start shopping for a car but not to purchase anything until the adjuster got out to survey the damages to be on the safe side. In the state of Maine $25,000 of property damage liability coverage is required as a state minumum...here is a case where it would have come in handy. So 10k must be the state minimum in PA...can't image it being any lower...I hear in NH liability isn't even required if your vehicle has no loan (so watch out when in NH). We recommend 50k minimunm property damage liability just to be safe. If the claimants coverage is exausted @ 10K you would have to take her to small claims court to get the rest....bummer. Wish you and your GF the best!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

[
Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

You're the perfect guy to talk to. Actually in PA, the state min is 5,000.....
But the Safe Auto lady said it was 100% that it was totaled. My gf doesn't have to take the girl to court because Geico will cover the amount and then Geico will go after Safe Auto for the excess amount that they will have to pay out. It won't raise my gfs premiums, because Geico is going to go after Safe Auto for the remainder. And then Safe Auto can choose to go after the girl for the remainder.

But how can the 2 adjusters estimates be soo far off.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Notice how the trunk got pushed to one side somehow.
Also, when she got hit on the front left drivers side, she got pushed into a wall and scraped the rear right fender. 3 rims are destroyed and 2 tires also..
Old 11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The differences between their value estimates depends on how and where they get their info.

I know that when my CL-S was totalled, State Farm actually got prices from some publications and some dealerships with similar mileage/conditioned cars to figure the value of my car in my area (to calculate the cost of replacement).

My car, 2001 (bought in Apr. 2000), with 50k miles in excellent condition when it was totaled in 2005, was about $17k. So it actually sounds like the Geico estimate sounds closer to the true value than the Safeauto quote.

But she should've held off on getting anew car until she had something in writing from either company...if Safeauto sent her a notice that her car was totalled and Geico saw it different, it would have been on Safeauto's hands to make it right. But if she didn't get anything in writing yet, safeauto could just deny that they told her it was totalled.

I had a rental coverage in my policy, so i had the conveneince of waiting for the check before doing anything.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 PM
5th Gear

She does, but the thing is, she already bought another car when Safe Auto said it was totaled. And now Geico is saying its not totaled because of the car value.

Safe Auto Amount- 14,300 plus tax
Geico Amount-17,000 plus tax
My personal opinion...I think geico is off.....NADA says: $12,900->15,400...Kelley Blue Book says 12,700 to 16,600....now keep in mind...the highest figure of 16,600 is RETAIL value which typically ONLY a DEALERSHIP can ACTUALLY get for the car not a private party. ALSO this figure of 16,600 assumes its in EXCELLENT condition and KBB goes on to say that less than 5% of vehicles on the road are in this great of condition. So I would say the 12,900 figure her company came up with is more realistic.

Either way perhaps you could get Geico to just cut you the check of their estimate...tell them you are still looking for a shop of your choice...keep the trashed car...don't fix it and put the $$ down on whatever she bought. It would probably be in geico's interest to just settle on an amount and cut you a check and have you sign off...because significant damages like that typically end up snowballing as the bodyshop gets into the job...finds more and more broken parts etc.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
The differences between their value estimates depends on how and where they get their info.

I know that when my CL-S was totalled, State Farm actually got prices from some publications and some dealerships with similar mileage/conditioned cars to figure the value of my car in my area (to calculate the cost of replacement).

My car, 2001 (bought in Apr. 2000), with 50k miles in excellent condition when it was totaled in 2005, was about $17k. So it actually sounds like the Geico estimate sounds closer to the true value than the Safeauto quote.

But she should've held off on getting anew car until she had something in writing from either company...if Safeauto sent her a notice that her car was totalled and Geico saw it different, it would have been on Safeauto's hands to make it right. But if she didn't get anything in writing yet, safeauto could just deny that they told her it was totalled.

I had a rental coverage in my policy, so i had the conveneince of waiting for the check before doing anything.
whoops I must be getting tired ..getting the companies confused...but I think you can still make sense of what I said...I hope :o)
Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does that look like alot of damage, I know the pictures arent the greatest. But does that look like a totaled car to anyone???? I mean, the air bags alone are 3.5K according to the dealership.
3,500 for airbags
1,000 for hood
1,000 for headlight/ballast
600 for bumper
1,000 for 3 tires and 2 rims

Just those BASIC BASIC estimates without suspension damage, and many other small things, that comes out to $7,100. THere has to be $12,000 in damages for them to total it. Help me out with the Estimate, please...
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Further, my advice...(assuming she owns the CL outright)

Since she already bought a new car...take the $10k from Safeauto...take the $2k difference from Geico, fix the car and sell it. The difference between what she paid for the new car and what she got for her fixed CL is the price paid for not getting it in writing. Who knows, the actual price she gets may not be that far from $17k estimated by Geico.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by H22_J30_K24
My personal opinion...I think geico is off.....NADA says: $12,900->15,400...Kelley Blue Book says 12,700 to 16,600....now keep in mind...the highest figure of 16,600 is RETAIL value which typically ONLY a DEALERSHIP can ACTUALLY get for the car not a private party. ALSO this figure of 16,600 assumes its in EXCELLENT condition and KBB goes on to say that less than 5% of vehicles on the road are in this great of condition. So I would say the 12,900 figure her company came up with is more realistic.

Either way perhaps you could get Geico to just cut you the check of their estimate...tell them you are still looking for a shop of your choice...keep the trashed car...don't fix it and put the $$ down on whatever she bought. It would probably be in geico's interest to just settle on an amount and cut you a check and have you sign off...because significant damages like that typically end up snowballing as the bodyshop gets into the job...finds more and more broken parts etc.

But there lies the paradox...if they value it at $12,900, then Safeauto will still only pay $10k, and Geico would only pay $2,900...she would get a total of $12,900 and they'd TAKE THE CAR.

If they value it at $17k and damages at $12k, she would get the $10k from Safeauto, the $2k from Geico, and KEEP THE CAR. It's only a $900 difference either way...but in one case she keeps the car and the other case, she does not.

Keeping the car and fixing it opens up the possibility of selling it for MORE than $12,900. Considering she already bought a new car, it would probably make more sense to try to get as much back as possible to pay for the new car.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Does that look like alot of damage, I know the pictures arent the greatest. But does that look like a totaled car to anyone???? I mean, the air bags alone are 3.5K according to the dealership.
3,500 for airbags
1,000 for hood
600 for bumper

Just those BASIC BASIC estimates without suspension damage, and many other small things, that comes out to $7,100. THere has to be $12,000 in damages for them to total it. Help me out with the Estimate, please...
you counting labor and repaint? I would demand a full repaint otherwise the panels may not match.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

No way in hell she is going to get 17K for a 2002 CL-S with 82,000 miles on it. We travel for work and have no time at home to worry about fixing a car and all that. Thats not a bad idea mrdeeno, but it doesnt work that way. Safe Auto will not give us a dollar now. Its all in Geico's hands, the car is being torn apart now to see how much damage was really done.

By the way, the front passanger side tire got pushed all the way back against the drivers side door. It got pushed back about 3 feet from where it originally was.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lets make a bet out of it, I will give 10 bucks to whoever can get the closest estimate whenever it comes in...... All Labor, parts, paint, etc...

It will be sent through paypal....

I also owe another guy money for helping me out, but I need him to send me a message, I forgot his name..
Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

No way in hell she is going to get 17K for a 2002 CL-S with 82,000 miles on it. We travel for work and have no time at home to worry about fixing a car and all that. Thats not a bad idea mrdeeno, but it doesnt work that way. Safe Auto will not give us a dollar now. Its all in Geico's hands, the car is being torn apart now to see how much damage was really done.

By the way, the front passanger side tire got pushed all the way back against the drivers side door. It got pushed back about 3 feet from where it originally was.
why would safeauto not give her anything?

because it was their insured that caused the accident, their insured is liable for the damages up to the coverage limit of $10k.

but let's say that it's all in Geico's hand...they'd still only give her $12,000 for repairs.

And i never said anything about getting $17k for it. I may not be that far from $17k that Geico estimated, but if it's at least more than $12.9k, then she's ahead of the game.

And when I say, "fix a car", i don't mean sit at home and work on it. I mean putting it in the shop and paying them to fix it. Why would you even think i meant to fix it yourself personally? who the hell would perform their own $12k worth of repairs?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So when are you parting out?

I got first dibs on the Type-S white dash gauge.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

why would safeauto not give her anything?

because it was their insured that caused the accident, their insured is liable for the damages up to the coverage limit of $10k.

but let's say that it's all in Geico's hand...they'd still only give her $12,000 for repairs.

And i never said anything about getting $17k for it. I may not be that far from $17k that Geico estimated, but if it's at least more than $12.9k, then she's ahead of the game.

And when I say, "fix a car", i don't mean sit at home and work on it. I mean putting it in the shop and paying them to fix it. Why would you even think i meant to fix it yourself personally? who the hell would perform their own $12k worth of repairs?
If they give her 12,000 for the repairs, then it would be considered totaled and they would total it out and give her the FMV from NADA and what averages are from the area.

I didn't mean for us to sit at home and repair it. what i mean is if you don't keep on some repair shops asses, then they don't do the job that they are suppose to.

Here is a summary, If it reaches 12,000 in repairs, they will give her the value of the car and consider it totaled....

If it doesn't reach that, they will repair it and return the car.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

But that's where you are in the same situation.

If they DON'T total it, YOU still have to stay on top of the shops ass to get them to fix it.

Either way, you have a new car that you have to pay for. She shouldn't have jumped the gun before getting anything in writing, much less the check.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

You are right, Safe Auto is liable up to the 10K, but that isnt the way it works.
Geico will cut one check, either for the repair amount, or for the FMV amout if the car is considered totaled.
Then Geico will go back to Safe Auto and automatically get the 10K from the at fault driver that she has as coverage. But after that, they will have to fight with Safe Auto to recover the rest.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Suzuka Master

well good luck with it. I hope it works out...they usually estimate the repairs higher than the actual.

For example, my car didn't look that bad and the repairs actually only cost me $5000 (they estimated $14k in damages), but they were worried about water damage and crap like that when my car was totalled. They totalled it but I bought it back for $500 or something. I made a killing fixing and reselling it even WITH a salvage title.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

We didn't jump the gun, Safe Auto sent an adjuster to the site to look at the car and called and verfied that it was totaled. We have a report from them stating that it is totaled according to their estimates.

Safe Auto's adjuster didn't tell us till 3 days later that their insured drivers limits didnt cover the car. So we do have paperwork from Safe Auto stating it was considered a total and to look for another vehicle.

And as for 12.9K for the car, I dont know where you are getting that number from. Geico says that the car is worth 17.9K, thats waht they are basing the 70% rule on.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

Dude u can fix that easy man and less than 12k trust me
Old 11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOL, explain how much you think it is???? Because you must not realize the expenses for the car...

You realize airbags are 3-4K just for those.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

Ebay is which u call cheap..

I just saw a 2 set of air bags for 500 bucks
Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thats not how insurance companies do it. You're right, if I was fixing it myself that might be different.

But I don't think putting in your own airbag is a good idea.

Also, the seatbelts are shot.

I am talking about a SHOP estimate, not if you were the one fixing it.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

yea i was just saying.. Let them give u ur check and ur car and u will save alot of money.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I took bad pictures, but the car is worse than it looks. Somehow the trunk doesn't even line up anymore. It was a head on accident with my girl going 25mph and hte other girl going about 40. The whole front driver side is gone and the rear passenger side quarter panel is all banged up.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
3,500 for airbags
1,000 for hood
600 for bumper

Also keep in mind that insurance companies also have negotiated rates for repairs and parts which may be cheaper than the above.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 AM
about::blank

6000k is what I am going to estimate.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But that's where you are in the same situation.

If they DON'T total it, YOU still have to stay on top of the shops ass to get them to fix it.

Either way, you have a new car that you have to pay for. She shouldn't have jumped the gun before getting anything in writing, much less the check.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ha, well I just got the estimate today from the first appraisal people.
According to them, there is $14,141.26 worth of damages. And they actually left some thing out. They didn't include the low beam bulb, the inverter, and some other things.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
consult atty who knows all this stuff?
Here in Calif you can rap for free for 30- min-1 hr.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

That sounds like a good idea... It might come to that.