Cruise Control Relocation - 2003 Acura TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise Control Relocation - 2003 Acura TL Type S

Hello,

So i recently installed a aftermarket steering wheel on my Acura TL -S 03 and have just ditched all the steering wheel button functionality. I recently gained some knowledge about electronics so I wired up my horn and got that working and now i want to wire up buttons for my cruise control. I want to do it first with simple push buttons to get functionality and then make it pretty. I know that for the horn its just an open circuit that needs to be grounded, so with that information i was able to easily figure out how to rewire the horn but i am unsure as the how the cruise control circuit works. So my question is how does the cruise control circuit work? Would anyone be able to explain which wires are for ground? which are for the buttons? and any advice for a simple rewiring?

Currently the the cruise control connectors are just sitting in the adapter hub for the steering wheel whereas they were previously plugged into the stock wheel.

I hope this is enough information as to the state my car is in and what i am looking for.

Thank you so much for reading!

Alexander
Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
I would grab the service manual, it will show pinout diagrams for the cruise control / steering wheel switches.

in addition, I would look up the section that shows how to test the switches, they could be the type that just shorts a circuit (similar to the horn you mentioned) or they short with resistance (in which case the troubleshooting section will tell you how much resistance).

Given the age of our cars, I doubt cruise control would be complicated, the radio controls may be a little more...

what happened to the airbag circuit? SRS light is on?
The following users liked this post:
alexanderbowen (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:12 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that was perfect! the service manual told me which pins turn the cruise control on so it was easy to wire a switch to that. Thank you!

the srs light is on because the new steering wheel has to airbag so the connector is just left unplugged
Old 04-27-2022, 11:21 AM
KIACertAutoTechnician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alexanderbowen
that was perfect! the service manual told me which pins turn the cruise control on so it was easy to wire a switch to that. Thank you!

the srs light is on because the new steering wheel has to airbag so the connector is just left unplugged
There is load resistors that plug into the airbag wires to make that pesky srs light go away.
Also if resistors are installed then the rest of your airbag system will work in case of the unfortunate.
Without the load resistors no airbags will work at all.

Hope this helps!
Max