Coworker picked up his WRX yesterday...race worthy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by davo-cls:
Two things about that run I don't understand.
1) He dropped the clutch at 6000rpm to run a 14.3@93.55mph. Isn't that clutch suicide or what?

2) How does he have such a low ET with a lower speed. The driver in the other lane had a 14.4@101mph. That's an 8mph difference.

</font>

This happened for a couple of reasons. When the mph is higher that usually elludes to high HP from the engine. When it is lower, it denotes that the car put its HP on the ground much more efficiently and it could happend for many reasons too.

In this case the AWD feature helps the Subaru to put all its power down. If you combine that with short gearing which it has and a good driver shifting super fast, what you saw is the result.

The opposite probably happened for the driver next to the subaru. It looks like a big american V8 ala-Mustang next to him having traction problems but very good top end once well in the race.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-02-2001, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
M3Sins:

Now that was a great post Are we all happy and freindly again ?

In regard to the WRX....

Very fast little car !! It has great speed off of the line and up to about 70MPH. These things are aesthitically .... different ... but they are little bug-eyed rockets. They do lose power in the upper end as you can see by the trap times of ~93-96MPH that they make all of their time gains in the low end and start to die down as they get into the upper speed brackets. In a street race to ~60 MPH they will most definately leave a stock CL-S behind. Even in a top speed shoot out it the CLS would pull a bit from ~70-110 on the WRX but even then it would be a tight race. If you throw in some turns and bends ...well it wouldnt be too pretty going at it from a Stock -vs- Stock comparison... But for the money its a tight, fast, car ... def. worth the pennies if you want something with a little mod can hang with the big boys in a street race...........

Chris

</font>
I agree. That was a sane post from M3Sins (at last).

I also agree with the points about the Subaru having much better low end than high end. I bet in a race from 85mph to 113mph in 3rd gear, the CLS will win.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-02-2001, 02:30 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
Dude,

Race anything that crosses your bumper, it's fun! I raced a Ferrari Modena the other night because it was fun! Put down the magazines and RACE!

</font>
Amen, brotha!

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S
Old 05-02-2001, 02:43 PM
Who's Your Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from my understanding they are not very reliable but i could be wrong...really dont know too much about the Subaru...but considering the WRX does the 1/4 mile in low 14's does not seem too impressive with a turbo...the mags are saying 0-60 in 6.2 but others are saying mid 5's....That clutch isnt gonna last too long if thats the case...

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 05-03-2001, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CL-Super:
from my understanding they are not very reliable but i could be wrong...really dont know too much about the Subaru...but considering the WRX does the 1/4 mile in low 14's does not seem too impressive with a turbo...the mags are saying 0-60 in 6.2 but others are saying mid 5's....That clutch isnt gonna last too long if thats the case...

</font>
I don't know about the WRX's reliablity (it is kind of early). However, my buddies who own Subaru vehicles have been very happy with the reliability and service.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic