couple a runs in the 3 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
couple a runs in the 3 5

today the cars runnin' really strong...its 84 according to the temp gage but dry...im leaving my buddies shop the one i always metion ,they're going to hooters for lunch...one of them has a 5.0 that's supposed to be strong n/a and runs it with a big shot....im trying to get him to run me today off the bottle to see how strong...ill report on that later...
I was right behind them leaving and a LT-1 goes by and gives them a rev you could heard definte exhaust work ,but to me sounded like i heard heavy cam...also seemed a little rich ...so i follow him as my friends proceed to hooters...we make the turn me behind him and we both get on it....I had to let off at the top of second to keep from punting him....we paced eachother from there and he gave me the thumbs up...it wasnt over though...i had asperations of doing this from a light....we never did catch one...but we did get beside eachother 2 back at a light ...i asked him if he wanted to catch one...he laughed said it had a 160K miles and was about to fall apart,that it wasnt stock,which i said i can tell,and that he get's on it still...oh well he turned off ...with a honk and a hand out the window...cool enough guy...i'd say after he saw the way i got up on him when i was behind him he descided it wasnt worht getting emabarassed on a straight up run...no disrespect when i say this i mean even if i just hung with him and lost by a car that would bruise the ego of the average F body guy....NEXT

a 4.6 GT 96-98 heavily moddified heavy exhasut,cam tires,wheels,big tach,shift light...again this is from a roll and on an open light traveld road...
im behind him we get out in fron t of one car and go ...im right there and feel like im pulling...hit 2nd perfect,didnt even look,now it's a long sweeper and im on the outside and pulling . i knew once the curve ended, i was gonna be out in front ,as i had the longer path to take with the outside line and still was pulling...however ...i was running out of third....i said to my self "shit" shifted into 4th anyway and went by him by a car or so and just let off...it seemed to me that my momentum kept me ahead for a second or more, eventhough i had just coasted and he was still on it...but he knew...he came beside me and was knoding with his jaw kinda clinched ",like to say damn boy you went by me ill give you that."...thumbs up and we went our way.....the only thing that was bad about it was when i went by him i was looking straight over at him with a really big grin and i may have come off like a dick,but that wasnt the intent ,it was just such a good race, i was all smiles....
Old 03-11-2003, 12:30 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nices runs
Old 03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

well i just got back from a run with my friends mustang the one i started talking about...

those bastards suckered me...i was under the impression this guy ran a 100-150 shot and that off the bottle i could make a respectable run...i ran his other car before the 3.5l engine change and it wasnt a beating by any means...turns out this is a high 11 second car...ass holes ...we do a 50- start and he says go ahead ill give you the jump....i go put him right on my rear bumper....he turns around and trades palces with me and we run it just like that to 120 or so....im thinking hum...which is what they had planned...he says when we get back he was just paceing me....from a dead start he just goes and goes and goes...ill say this he was pulling away but it didnt seem like a high 11 second car to me...meaning it was a whoopin but not as much as i'd expect....even though they were having fun at my expense they had nothing but good thing to say about my car and said something to the effect that in that category i guess high 13 second cars mine is the most impressive car he knows...concidering weight,FWD,auto ,with open diff...he wants me to go make some money...
Old 03-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by typeR
well i just got back from a run with my friends mustang the one i started talking about...

those bastards suckered me...i was under the impression this guy ran a 100-150 shot and that off the bottle i could make a respectable run...i ran his other car before the 3.5l engine change and it wasnt a beating by any means...turns out this is a high 11 second car...ass holes ...we do a 50- start and he says go ahead ill give you the jump....i go put him right on my rear bumper....he turns around and trades palces with me and we run it just like that to 120 or so....im thinking hum...which is what they had planned...he says when we get back he was just paceing me....from a dead start he just goes and goes and goes...ill say this he was pulling away but it didnt seem like a high 11 second car to me...meaning it was a whoopin but not as much as i'd expect....even though they were having fun at my expense they had nothing but good thing to say about my car and said something to the effect that in that category i guess high 13 second cars mine is the most impressive car he knows...concidering weight,FWD,auto ,with open diff...he wants me to go make some money...
Man I feel for you. I was suckered years ago like that. It really pisses you off. Especially if you knew it was that fast. Not really worth the test or the test match up you were looking for.

But it is nice to know that they were a bit more respectful in the end.

Ruf
Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
)Good kills. Those 302s can be made really fast for really cheap. Never underestimate them...

Just curious, how can you tell that a car has a cam(s) when they rev at you? I understand the lopey idle, but it doesn't make any distinguishable sound at part/full throttle.

Also, just b/c the GT had a monster tach w/a shift light and rims/tires does not mean it has heavy mods. It might of been the equivilent of a stock Civic w/a tach and an exhaust. 96-98s only came with 215-225bhp. So if it was stock with a couple of accessories and single chamber flows, no doubt you'd take them.

Either way, good kills (and loss to the 5.0 )
Old 03-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 330RWHP
)Good kills. Those 302s can be made really fast for really cheap. Never underestimate them...

Just curious, how can you tell that a car has a cam(s) when they rev at you? I understand the lopey idle, but it doesn't make any distinguishable sound at part/full throttle.

Also, just b/c the GT had a monster tach w/a shift light and rims/tires does not mean it has heavy mods. It might of been the equivilent of a stock Civic w/a tach and an exhaust. 96-98s only came with 215-225bhp. So if it was stock with a couple of accessories and single chamber flows, no doubt you'd take them.

Either way, good kills (and loss to the 5.0 )
on the LT I eventually heard the idle and it was lopey...but i could be wrong here but it seems like when i heard cam'd up cars with exhaust the exhaust note sounds different to me...still deep but raspy...the modular stang was idling when i went by him before the race...but the way i know it was heavily modified is... it took until the top of third to get passed him...for a 96-98 GT ...note sig.