Converting bulbs to LED, or just changing bulb color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting bulbs to LED, or just changing bulb color?

Does anyone have a list of the different bulb specs for the inside bulbs? I'm referring to the bulbs that light up for:

1. The seat heaters (there are 3 bulbs in each, and 2 different bulb types/colors). One bulb is a pastel blue color, the other two are yellow, which light up to give the amber color for high/low setting. What are the specs of these bulbs? I'm assuming the voltage is 12v, but how many mA and mW are they? Anyone know compatible part numbers and/or sources?

2. For the climate control switches (specifically RECIRC, FRONT DEFOG, REAR DEFOG) is there one bulb that controls both parts of the light? Seems to me there are two, one that illuminates the little picture, the other lights up amber in the little horizontal crystal. Anyone know the specs on all these bulbs (not just the 3 mentioned) and possibly mW and mA ratings?

Can someone who has done the LED conversion provide some info re the specific type of LEDs that were used... Specs like 3mm or 5mm LEDs, mA ratings, and also info on the resistors that were used. Part numbers would be cool, if available. I've read a lot of threads about the LED conversion, but haven't seen any info on what types of LEDs/resistors were used, and what their specs were.

3. The green bulbs in the seat memory controller on the driver's door. Does anyone know the mA and mW ratings on these? Or part numbers?

I've seen the ledautomotive.com site (they also sell on ebay) but I'm curious if anyone knows what the specs are on these parts so we can possibly purchase them at more reasonable prices once a source is found.

I've got the PIAA wedge bulbs (can't remember the part#) in my doors and in the trunk, but I'm just finishing a computer and LCD touchscreen project in my car, and I'm wanting to unify the colorscheme somewhat. There are way too many colors in our cars (green, white, and red on the gauge cluster, bright green on the seat memory, orange on the seat heaters, dull yellow on the map lights). I'm wanting to unify around possibly a blue or white colorscheme. Possibly even green and blue. My Alpine has primarily blue buttons with minor green detailing.

I guess I'm just looking for some ideas, info, part numbers in trying to unify the whole thing around one or two colors.

I'm not asking for a rehash of the PIAA bulb numbers which are all over other threads. Specifically, do you guys know what compatible bulb part numbers would be for the seat heaters, seat memory, etc? Also, can the seat heaters and seat memory be converted to LEDs in the same way that the dashboard bulbs can be done?

What about the shifter lights? Are they the same type of bulbs as the other bulbs in the dash? Can they be converted to a hyperwhite to make them more intense?

Perhaps we could even turn this thread into a central spot for a listing of all the different compatible bulbs, LEDs, part numbers, specs, etc of all the bulbs? Might be useful for others, since some of this info is on the boards but it's all scattered around. I'd be happy to compile all the info from any responses into a single post, and that info could be FAQ'd or stickied for others to take advantage of...

'01
Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reserved