Comptech Swaybars Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech Swaybars Installed

OMG, the car REALLY needs to come like this. VERY tight. VERY responsive and eliminates understeer. I didn't really push it.

I had them on my automatic but with the closed differential I guess the effects aren't as pronounced? Dunno.....

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend sways. I"m liking the improvment handling so much that I think that I will do all suspension mods first before any more power mods. SOOOOO.....that means the next thing i probably do is rims/tires sometime this summer and perhaps brembo's.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Sweet, I can't wait to see how my car feels once I finally get all my parts and then get them installed (still waiting on my Teins, the EDFC, and my Stone Headers).
Old 05-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds awesome...I am also planning on doing all the suspension stuff first as I feel I don't need all the power gains at this point. I figure I've got plenty of power for most of the time. I've been waiting on the springs/sways because I wanted to pay my car off first...and since the check is in the mail, I can now start saving for the mods. The only thing I'm torn right now is whether or not to get the shocks. I've only got about 9000miles, so I think the shocks will be alright.

What about springs? Do you have springs on your ride yet?
Old 05-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

gsrblack,
No springs. I'm waiting to do the TEIN_SS Want to be able to slam that shit for meets etc, and then jack back up for daily driving and the winter I had springs on my automatic. I didn't get shocks but I would HIGHLY encourage you to get some koni' yellows. You can get away without doing it but the car will ride much better with the upgraded shocks.

LiQiCE,
Yea I waiting on the TeinSS as well. I'll probably add that sometime next year. The only other mod i will do this year is lightweight wheels and tires.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Zapata, why did you wait so long for the sways... best mod for the CLS. now get better tires...
Old 05-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Zapata, why did you wait so long for the sways... best mod for the CLS. now get better tires...

I was a little cash strapped after xmas shopping and the car purchase last year. I decided I needed stop spending money like i was rich Next thing for sure is the SSR Competitions and Yokohoma es100. Setup should be nice
Old 05-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Daily Driver

I couldn't agree more. For anyone still on the fence on whether or not do do sways - Go for it!!! It's the perfect mod - relatively cheap, fairly easy DIY, no change to ride quality but HUGE gains in cornering stability. Of course, it's the only mod I've done so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but the change was night and day.

I'm still considering springs in the back of my mind, but then I'd want Konis too, and that starts to get expensive. With the sways, the stock ride will be good enough for me for a while. Now tires on the other hand... I just want to wear mine out a little more so I can justify going and grabbing some better rubber.

Zapata - you do it yourself, or get it done?
Old 05-02-2003, 04:16 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Comptech Swaybars Installed

Congrats... I installed the sways, along with springs and intake and headers about a month ago on my CLS 6sp. With the improved handling and extra power, car is even more fun to drive.

But I recommend keeping an hear open for the notorious squeaky rear sway bar. I just started hearing a subtle squeak at low speeds (5-25 mph) when driving on uneven pavement or going around corners, when temp outside is on the cool side. Like I said, it's ever so slight, but I'm afraid it could get worse. Since Acura installed the CT sways, I'm going to have them fix it during the next scheduled service.

I don't know why CT didn't design the rear u-bracket/rubber bushing like the stock one which never squeaked.

Originally posted by Zapata
OMG, the car REALLY needs to come like this. VERY tight. VERY responsive and eliminates understeer. I didn't really push it.

I had them on my automatic but with the closed differential I guess the effects aren't as pronounced? Dunno.....

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend sways. I"m liking the improvment handling so much that I think that I will do all suspension mods first before any more power mods. SOOOOO.....that means the next thing i probably do is rims/tires sometime this summer and perhaps brembo's.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:55 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
why didn't you keep the sways from your auto?
Old 05-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I plan on doing the Comptech package over at Park Ave. sometime this spring/summer. I've always heard what a difference sways make over stock. Best of luck with them.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by ghander
why didn't you keep the sways from your auto?

They are from my auto I just never switched them over.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Banned

Zapata Congrats this car rocks like never before now with the springs and sways on Wed. Im dropping her off to put the Konis on. Zapata just put the Comptech springs with the Konis and I bet they're better than just about anything else except the Zeal coilovers that cost like $1600.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by lou
Zapata Congrats this car rocks like never before now with the springs and sways on Wed. Im dropping her off to put the Konis on. Zapata just put the Comptech springs with the Konis and I bet they're better than just about anything else except the Zeal coilovers that cost like $1600.

see i want that even drop Comptech was nice but if i'm going to spend the money on springs/shocks i might as well get the teinSS with upgraded springs and EDFC for the rear. It'll be nice to have the adjustability in height
Old 05-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata
see i want that even drop Comptech was nice but if i'm going to spend the money on springs/shocks i might as well get the teinSS with upgraded springs and EDFC for the rear. It'll be nice to have the adjustability in height
Even height thats where your system comes in 2 amps and a 12" sub will give you that even dropped how considerate of Comptech to make springs to accomodate an audio system.

Remember the Comptech springs and Konis last the life of the car so no need to mess around with that and why would you want to align the car after every change.

my drop compared to a Bimmer and the springs haven't settled yet. The car rides at the same height as the Bimmer but the ours have more ground clearance.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by lou
Even height thats where your system comes in 2 amps and a 12" sub will give you that even dropped how considerate of Comptech to make springs to accomodate an audio system.

Remember the Comptech springs and Konis last the life of the car so no need to mess around with that and why would you want to align the car after every change.

my drop compared to a Bimmer and the springs haven't settled yet. The car rides at the same height as the Bimmer but the ours have more ground clearance.

Lou,
Yipes i don't think i'd have that much in the trunk heh At most i'd have 1 10 inch sub in in enclosed box. I use the trunk alot so unfortunately won't be able to take advantage of the Unique Comptech Spring Drop System

Oh well i wouldn't drop the car to a point where i'd need an alingement and drive around. For car meets etc., i'd just crank it down while we chilled and then a quick adjustment before I started to drive.

Comptech drop is nice but i'm not a huge fan of the raked look.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:55 AM
Under the radar

I am thinking of getting the sways soon, too.

I was concerned about some weld that needs to be reinforced to handle the thicker sways. Isn't that still a concern?
Old 05-03-2003, 04:26 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by CLSter
I am thinking of getting the sways soon, too.

I was concerned about some weld that needs to be reinforced to handle the thicker sways. Isn't that still a concern?
Supposedly on the Neuspeed they recommend reinforcement, but everyone who has the Neuspeed so far have no problems.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:43 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by lou
Reason that I'm going to probably go with TEIN's is that the COMPTECH drop will not help even out the height of the car. This is because the enclosed box containing one JL 10W7 with two amps strapped to it has caused the gap in the rear to be a full 1" less than the gap in the front (2" vs 3"). I have discussed this issue with PAA, Dean, Bob @ Comptech and my local mechanic, and all suggest that coilovers would probably be a much more realistic solution to overcoming this problem (Comptechs "may" even out the ride, but no guarantee). The figures on the Comptechs may bring the two ends closer together, but it appears by all accounts that there would still be a larger gap up front - and I not interested in the '66 Mustang / Toyota 4x4 look again.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
Reason that I'm going to probably go with TEIN's is that the COMPTECH drop will not help even out the height of the car. This is because the enclosed box containing one JL 10W7 with two amps strapped to it has caused the gap in the rear to be a full 1" less than the gap in the front (2" vs 3"). I have discussed this issue with PAA, Dean, Bob @ Comptech and my local mechanic, and all suggest that coilovers would probably be a much more realistic solution to overcoming this problem (Comptechs "may" even out the ride, but no guarantee). The figures on the Comptechs may bring the two ends closer together, but it appears by all accounts that there would still be a larger gap up front - and I not interested in the '66 Mustang / Toyota 4x4 look again.
Is this your current system or future mod because I have a 12" Infinity Kappa with RF 450 2 channel and JL audio 300/4 and it looks slightly lower than the front but the front hasn't settled yet.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

well if u dont want to stick to the comptechs, i know of one guy that put H&R OE sports in the rear and then the H&R sports in the front... helped even out his drop
Old 05-03-2003, 09:53 PM
an adult perspective

Originally posted by lou
Is this your current system or future mod because I have a 12" Infinity Kappa with RF 450 2 channel and JL audio 300/4 and it looks slightly lower than the front but the front hasn't settled yet.
Lou - I had this system installed in October. I talked directly with Dean and Comptech on the phone about this, and measurements were taken by the tech at my (quasi) local Acura dealership within the last month. Allcon have basically come to the same conclusion ... COMPTECH Springs w/wo Koni's may/maynot rectify the problem. This is not satisfactory, and hence I will wait for TEIN to finalize their plans regarding the new SS application which, according to the latest email I received from them, will be specific to our platforms and not/NOT interchangeable with the AV6 of the TL platforms.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:57 PM
an adult perspective

Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3
well if u dont want to stick to the comptechs, i know of one guy that put H&R OE sports in the rear and then the H&R sports in the front... helped even out his drop
I've also thought about doing the mix-n-match, but from what I've gathered everything is basically sold in sets. This would seem to be somewhat prohibitive, since you would effective have to buy two sets of sways, which would be somewhat a waste of $. H&R does seem to offer the best solution to my problem as you have described above, but the $ factor does come into play.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by lou
Lou, you won't friggin believe how good the Konis are !!!!