Comptech SuperCharger From SEMA and other INFO

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 05:33 PM
6 speed...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
The more I look at it the more I am convinced it is the Eaton Gen IV blower. Look at the following pic, the item in the red circle is the Bypass Valve Actuator for the Eaton blowers. It is even correctly positioned on the untis for the Gen IV units (second pic), the casing is identical, etc.
I saw that too, but I also saw an actuator in the second whipple photo modmole posted (it's on the lower left in the photo), so I figured there might be some sort of bypass on the screw type as well.

but I don't see actuators in either the top whipple photo or in any of the nsx supercharger photos, so maybe not.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:30 PM
Advanced

im wondering if this will void our warranties?
Old 11-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes it will probably void your warranty
Old 11-01-2001, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by ATXTypeS
im wondering if this will void our warranties?
...I'd say if you find a comp friendly dealer and they install it...you'll get warranty especially park ave. and rick case BTW the TRD solara has this option available to purchase straight from the dealer show room under full factory warranty...
Old 11-01-2001, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by typeR
BTW the TRD solara has this option available to purchase straight from the dealer show room under full factory warranty...
Thats only because its TRD.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by bioyuki

Thats only because its TRD.
i appreciate what you're saying but,,,comp is to acura...what TRD is toyota,,,pretty much..
Old 11-01-2001, 08:23 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

i appreciate what you're saying but,,,comp is to acura...what TRD is toyota,,,pretty much..

Comptech isn't even close to being in the same catergory as TRD is to Toyota. I think when most people go to the dealer with aftermarket questions the dealers have never even heard of Comptech. Plus, I don't think any dealer would give you preferential treatment if a set of Comptech springs created a problem vs. another brand.
Just MO.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:43 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really. Toyota owns TRD, Acura doesn't own Comptech. That's a huge difference. I wish Acura did have an in house tuner that supplied upgrades and was covered under warranty.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:21 AM
Pro

forget all the techno stuff, i trust comptech and i trust mike b, and damn scalbert knows his shit, so i pose this question to them 1. can it have a front mount intercoler (b/c it looks cool no other reason) and what about a blow off valve (b/c it sounds cool no other reason)
Old 11-02-2001, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NYREP1
1. can it have a front mount intercoler (b/c it looks cool no other reason) and what about a blow off valve (b/c it sounds cool no other reason)
No front mount air/air IC for this style blower (regardless of the type of positive displacement unit). You could mount a liquid/air system between the blower and the manifold but this would only be for higher boost running. I expect this to be kept simple.

As for a BOV, not need again. The blower is after the throttle body. So the engine will use any excess boost or loop it through the bypass valve when the throttle is closed. A BOV is used on Turbos and centrifugal SCs because they are prior to the TB. So that when the throttle is closed the BOV open to release or re-route the excess boost so that it doesn't try to back up through the turbine wheel (compressor surge).
Old 11-02-2001, 08:16 AM
6 speed...

per mikeB at comptechusa.com:

It looks like the price will be right about $4200 to $4500 for the kit. You will need to buy a different size battery because it will be in a different location. We will supply the kit with a list of you could use. We are using a Magnussen screw-type blower.
looks like you were right, scalbert, but I didn't realize the 4th gen eaton/magnussen was a screw-type...

this is the link to mikeb's post at comptechusa.com
Old 11-02-2001, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by tankmonkey
per mikeB at comptechusa.com:

looks like you were right, scalbert, but I didn't realize the 4th gen eaton/magnussen was a screw-type...

this is the link to mikeb's post at comptechusa.com
Actually it looks like Comptech is getting their terminology wrong or intentionally misleading or things have changed on thsi unit. They may be calling it a screw style but if it is an Eaton/Magnuson unit it is a roots style. I'm not surprised at them using the Gen IV as it has been under development and testing for years now with great results.

From Magnuson's site:

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magn...erchargers.htm

"The Eaton 3rd Generation and the Eaton/Magnuson 4th Generation superchargers are the next step in positive displacement supercharger design. Eaton superchargers have become the world standard due to their efficiency and durability, and are virtually the only original equipment superchargers in use today. The rear inlet, front discharge design of the Eaton supercharger set new standards compared to the venerable "Roots" designs, and now, the hybrid Eaton / Magnuson 4th Generation designs have raised the bar again."

Unless they have done some rework on the original Gen IV units I had seen it is still a roots. But then again, it has been years since I looked at the unit (when I still had my GTP) and the original pics/drawings so things could have changed. But since Eaton is still involved and most of the benefits from the Gen IV come from the casing changes I still feel that the same helical rotors are being used.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:40 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

This is exactly the point I was trying to make...

Did MikeB just get his terminology mixed up, or did an engineer who built the freaking prototype not even know what kind of blower he was using?

I say again... I believe the engineer before I believe the GM if they have conflicting information on a TECHNICAL piece of hardware.

MikeB is the man and I have nothing against him but maybe he just got his terminology mixed up... honest mistake!

If the engineer says its costs $3,000 for the SC and MikeB says its costs $4,500, then I believe MikeB for this type of info!!!
Old 11-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Banned

Well, if it's from Eaton....it's a Roots...that's where their expertise is based.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:40 PM

So the question is now... Did MikeB screw up on the word "Magnussen" or "screw-type blower".

If I said I own a 5cyl Honda sedan, then that statement would be false.

I might have a 5cyl Acura TL 2.5 or I might have a 4cyl Honda Accord, but there is no way I could own a 5cyl Honda Accord since one doesn't exist.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:44 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by BNut
So the question is now... Did MikeB screw up on the word "Magnussen" or "screw-type blower".

If I said I own a 5cyl Honda sedan, then that statement would be false.

I might have a 5cyl Acura TL 2.5 or I might have a 4cyl Honda Accord, but there is no way I could own a 5cyl Honda Accord since one doesn't exist.
the supercharger in the photo looks, for all the world, like an eaton/magnuson mp62 4th generation unit, right down to the bolt pattern on the intake side. the actuator is on the opposite side of the charger versus what is on the magnuson website, but the website says it can be installed on either side (and in 12 different orientations). I suspect it is a magnuson, but not a screw-type.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Agreed, this is the Gen IV MP62, although I was hoping for thr MP90. Since it is the M62 and if the boost is at about 6.5 PSI they are certainly spinning that thing up, this is why I was looking for the MP90.

For the MP62 to acheive those boost levels (1.442 Pressure Ratio) on the 196ci engine it would be turning nearly 16k at an engine speed of 7k revs or a drive ratio of 2.28:1. While this is fine for the 3.0L and even the lower reving base 3.2L it does limit the growth potential for this blower on the Type S.

But it does help in the packaging department and according to the charts it is still very efficient at the higher speeds.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:58 PM

So maybe, what MikeB MEANT to say was that it was a Magnussen ROOTS-type blower.

I dunno... either way does it really make that big of a difference for us?
Old 11-02-2001, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

hmm i just talked to one of our performance shops that was at SEMA and he too said it was a screw type.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:49 AM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
hmm i just talked to one of our performance shops that was at SEMA and he too said it was a screw type.
:P :P :P :P :P

Like I said.......

Mole borrows back down......
Old 11-03-2001, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

I have an Eaton M112 on my truck putting out 10# of boost. I must say they sound awesome. That S/C sure would make a CL-S sweet.
Old 11-04-2001, 02:52 PM
da da da

wellllll......

by the time I get enough money for the SC and installation....I am assuming many of you will have bought it and can tell me if its worth it or not hee hee hee
Old 11-05-2001, 07:23 PM
Retired Post Whore

All I know is that the Super Charger is going to be mad dough! Im still saving up for it!
Old 11-10-2001, 10:08 AM
i like chicken

someone said about it not being a centrifugal sc, but i have an article here saying it is. do you guys know that the same prototype is being made for the accord 3.0's (which means first gen cl's will have access to a sc, finally. i have pics of the same sc except it is on the accord engine (j30a1), so all you 2G cls's better watch out!!!!
Old 11-10-2001, 10:11 AM
i like chicken

oh, expect a pricetag around $3000-4000 when it comes out. if you buy it when it comes out i bet you are the same person that bought the psx2 when it was $600! the price should drop, and we are currently working on distributing for comptech as well.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

RMSTIO hate to say it but your advertising is going to have to go.. We are a site that is partners w/ autocarparts.com and they sponser us. So unless you plan on coughing up some $$ your ad's gosta go.

if you wish to advertise go here

http://www.acura-cl.com/advertise.html

Old 11-23-2001, 05:33 PM
suspension dude

Sorry Mod Mole, you need some better info....or you probably got confused. I was at Comptech on Wednesday and talked to the head engineer that does all the testing on the Superchargers and he said that it is in fact aEaton M62 blower. I know how you might have been confused, but you should know that Mike B knows what he is talking about...kinda helps when you're selling the product.

The screw he was referring to is actually how newer Roots blowers are designed...they use screws to force air in....that's how I can see how you were confused. Next time guys, pay more attention to the guys talking.

I was told that though they had hoped to put in a Lysholm twin-screw, the base cost for the unit was $1k more, and since most of you seem to be bitching about paying $4500 as is, it was a good move on their part. As for tranny problems, on the Accord v6, they installed a large tranny cooler, but that may or may not make it to production, it'll probably be a recommended as an option. The breakdown in our trannys may be related to a bearing in the TC which is too small, a design flaw on Honda's part, but I think they might have figured that out and re-designed it for the 2002. The recommendation for trannys is probably to switch to Redline ATF. That'll lower tranny temps by 10 degrees immediately...although tranny shifts after starting the car may be rougher in the morning until the tranny warms up...
Old 11-26-2001, 12:38 PM
Banned

Just an FYi for those who didn't read it....
Old 11-26-2001, 12:41 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Just an FYi for those who didn't read it....
And I'm reaffirming this since I was there talking with the lead engineer the same time Moo and Bobowah were
Old 11-26-2001, 01:44 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Originally posted by rmstoico
oh, expect a pricetag around $3000-4000 when it comes out. if you buy it when it comes out i bet you are the same person that bought the psx2 when it was $600! the price should drop, and we are currently working on distributing for comptech as well.
I doubt it will drop. Comptech is sticking to their price with the headers FIRM. So im guessing, whatever they come up with for the SC will stay.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:27 PM
K L E A N

Originally posted by nvpscore
HOw can their be a demand for this supercharger? sure enough everyone probably wants this beast in their car, but do they got the moola? most of them probably not.... damn man Im only 17 yrs old, i got 2 grand ready for mods, but this is gonna triple that...

WHY WHY WHY couldnt it just be cheaper

Nick
Shi@# If you have 2 g's and youre 17 u r saying something... Invest that mulah in a IRA....
Old 11-30-2001, 08:31 PM
Broke youngster :(

maybe i will, i dunno i was thinking about that too, I gotta convince my mother to let me get the 6 speed when that comes out, i got 1000 miles on my car its 2 months old, got it sept 21st. I dunno what Im gonna do, but i wanted the manual not a SS. Anyways, my 2 grand might be going towards the 6 speed manual, the added costs and money i lost.

Nick
Old 11-30-2001, 08:58 PM
K L E A N

Originally posted by nvpscore
maybe i will, i dunno i was thinking about that too, I gotta convince my mother to let me get the 6 speed when that comes out, i got 1000 miles on my car its 2 months old, got it sept 21st. I dunno what Im gonna do, but i wanted the manual not a SS. Anyways, my 2 grand might be going towards the 6 speed manual, the added costs and money i lost.

Nick
Dam I wis I had a brand new car @ 17.... Thow some chromies on there and pimp
Old 11-30-2001, 10:21 PM
Broke youngster :(

Yeah Im proud of working my ass off for this sweet aegean blue baby, now i want better with manual hehe

Nick
Old 12-04-2001, 08:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by bobowah
The breakdown in our trannys may be related to a bearing in the TC which is too small, a design flaw on Honda's part
Ya you are right, that's is what I hear over and over again. In 98 they had a turbo for the Accord, but never hit market because HKS kept blowing tranny's or so a friend at HKS Power told me. He said that the 98 Accord held up to 260hp then the problems started. He is the one who cued me in on the TC problem. You can however get a TC at Level Ten ( www.levelten.com ) that can hold the power/heat. I have not gotten mine yet, but plan on it before I get the charger.

- GJ

'01 Accord V6
"They are all Honda's under the hood, its just the letter on the grill thats different"
Old 12-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gjzaccord01

Ya you are right, that's is what I hear over and over again. In 98 they had a turbo for the Accord, but never hit market because HKS kept blowing tranny's or so a friend at HKS Power told me. He said that the 98 Accord held up to 260hp then the problems started. He is the one who cued me in on the TC problem. You can however get a TC at Level Ten ( www.levelten.com ) that can hold the power/heat. I have not gotten mine yet, but plan on it before I get the charger.

- GJ

'01 Accord V6
"They are all Honda's under the hood, its just the letter on the grill thats different"
FYI.....levelten is being investigated on charges of fraud by the New Jersey District Attorney's Office....so, I would hold off until things get straightened out.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

OH SNAP! Really! Okay thanks, I am glad you said that!