Comptech SuperCharger From SEMA and other INFO

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheModMole
Uhhmnnnn....

See any similarities to the ohhh lets say whipple?
Both styles require a higher mounting in order to allow a centered outlet (internal flume). Whereas the one in the SEMA pics show the outlet right at the case body.

Then in further review of the pics the case body is pratically identical to the Eaton Gen IV. With the exception if a single mounting post the bodies have the same line, ridges and mounts. Even the bypass is located correctly.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:13 PM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

Scalbert:

You being the seasoned veteran I have much respect for your opinion. If you say it is a roots type I would believe you if had i not confirmed twice from within comptech that it is indeed a twin-screw .. however it is not utilizing the manifold replacement as in the NSX S.C. But non the less, I do see the case that your referring to and it does look quite a bit like the eaton... but again my info came from inside comptech .. unless my man is focking with me... LOL

btw they'll be using their FPR in the kit....

Old 10-31-2001, 01:16 PM
Banned

Well, Mike B said it was an Eaton unit. Eaton = Roots....but I would be even happier if it was a twin screw unit....that would be well worth the $4500....seeing as how similar units are priced accordingly...I think Comptech is being very competitive this time.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TheModMole
Scalbert:

If you say it is a roots type I would believe you if had i not confirmed twice from within comptech that it is indeed a twin-screw

btw they'll be using their FPR in the kit....
As mentioned in my original post, I can't say positively either way. Just speculating based on the information I have seen. Names of units can often be swapped without intending to cause confusion.

Having been to the Eaton factory several times and having hand ported a previous Gen Eaton blower I feel somewhat 'connected' to their physical aspects.

But either way it is nice to see w SC system nearing release for these cars.

I assume that FPR is a rising rate unit?? If so I wonder what the ratio is and if it is adjustable and not just the pressure?? We'll see soon enough.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Well, Mike B said it was an Eaton unit. Eaton = Roots....but I would be even happier if it was a twin screw unit....
Actually that Eaton Gen IV unit is quite impressive. It has probably the highest efficiency of any positive displacement blower out there.

From Magnuson's website:
"The MP series 4th Generation superchargers are the result of hundreds of hours of flow bench research and test stand evaluation added to years of experience manufacturing in excess of 1,000,000 superchargers. This research has resulted in inlet and outlet configurations that bring the volumetric efficiency into the mid 90% range. Adiabatic efficiency, delta temperature, and power requirements have also been dramatically improved."
Old 10-31-2001, 01:26 PM
Banned

I stand corrected!!!
Ah who cares!!! It won't be available until January earliest!! And then I have to wait and see some real world testing on it from Astro...
Because he has all the money and won't be hurting if his tranny goes...
Old 10-31-2001, 03:11 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

I CAN DIE HAPPY NOW.
Old 10-31-2001, 03:33 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Originally posted by amirsafdari

there will always be disbelievers.

Even during the time of Jesus, nobody believed him.

See you in Hell.
What kinda BS post is that, if you had one you would actually post how you got it and all the specs etc etc.

Writing BS like "even in the time of jesus" won't get us believing. Do you think you are on the level of Jesus you dumb cunt?
Old 10-31-2001, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by tuRb0mikEy

What kinda BS post is that, if you had one you would actually post how you got it and all the specs etc etc.

Writing BS like "even in the time of jesus" won't get us believing. Do you think you are on the level of Jesus you dumb cunt?
Somebody needs a nap..
Old 10-31-2001, 03:36 PM
Banned

HAHAAHAh....more uneducated newbies....look through a couple of posts...and you'll find the truth.
Old 10-31-2001, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

het turbo dick head amir's SC is a long standing joke with the board so you with your 2 whole posts wouldnt get...if you want stick around then lighten up...ass
Old 10-31-2001, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Did Mike B say for sure it was an Eaton Roots Blower?

Could be a Lysholm Twin-Screw perhaps?

Which would be much nicer, imo.

And are there no future options of intercooling of any sort? I'm trying to make sense out of that piping, but can't seem to find a clear path that the air flows through. Right now all that comes to mind is Alcohol injection.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by F=ma
Did Mike B say for sure it was an Eaton Roots Blower?

Could be a Lysholm Twin-Screw perhaps?

Which would be much nicer, imo.

And are there no future options of intercooling of any sort? I'm trying to make sense out of that piping, but can't seem to find a clear path that the air flows through. Right now all that comes to mind is Alcohol injection.
hey kenny better late than never
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=52252
Old 10-31-2001, 04:34 PM
Instructor

So what exactly was the difference between the centrifugal and the roots. I remember there was one where people were actually getting upset because it benifited the CLP more than the CLS because it replaced the intake manifold. So is there really going to be a large difference between the gains of the SC on the CLP/CLS/Accord v6?
Old 10-31-2001, 04:43 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
whether I can afford a tranny or not, I still won't get to test drive and review the supercharger until at least march prolly...that would be due to the snow we get up here...and the fact that my summer tires stay on all year long cuz nothing else fits over my brakes!
Old 10-31-2001, 04:44 PM
Oh...Behave!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery and CAI

OK, after looking closer, I see the battery is still in the same place - it just looks lower!

I don't see why you couldn't use a CAI INSTEAD OF that "ice box" - it would look alot cooler, and can you imagine the sound!!!

Also, I wonder if the K&N drop-in fits in that "ice box" - if it's an oem spec filter - it's basically a stock type airbox, by the looks of it!
Old 10-31-2001, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AirC
So what exactly was the difference between the centrifugal and the roots. I remember there was one where people were actually getting upset because it benifited the CLP more than the CLS because it replaced the intake manifold. So is there really going to be a large difference between the gains of the SC on the CLP/CLS/Accord v6?
A centrifugal is like a belt driven turbo....it needs the engine to rev to realize full boost. A roots is a positive displacement SC...it usually has a set amount of power that it realizes almost instantly.
In most instances, a Roots replaces the intake manifold....but on the CL-S they made it a priority to keep the intake manifold because it is key to much of the extra 35 hp that the Type-S has over the CL-P.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Astroboy
whether I can afford a tranny or not, I still won't get to test drive and review the supercharger until at least march prolly...that would be due to the snow we get up here...and the fact that my summer tires stay on all year long cuz nothing else fits over my brakes!
No prob Astro...it would take me that long to beg, borrow, and save the money for the SC anyway...
Old 10-31-2001, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Moomaster, thx for clarifying. But if they are mainly tryign to keep the CLS intake manifold. Will the CLP and accord V6 even use the same supercharger? Or woudl we be required to get a completely different one?
Old 10-31-2001, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AirC
Moomaster, thx for clarifying. But if they are mainly tryign to keep the CLS intake manifold. Will the CLP and accord V6 even use the same supercharger? Or woudl we be required to get a completely different one?
I think they are getting the same set-up....otherwise they probably wouldn't have gone to all that trouble to custom the mounting for the CL-S...they would have just said that we're stuck....
Old 10-31-2001, 05:42 PM
BMW Owner

That's the strangest reaction to a supercharger I've ever heard...

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL
WOW! that would look really cool chromed. Maybe I'll get one now...
Old 10-31-2001, 05:52 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by cakennedy
That's the strangest reaction to a supercharger I've ever heard...

haha not for 4pumped it isn't
Old 10-31-2001, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by typeR
my balls hurt...that looks so juicy...oh i need to win lotto...
oh really
Old 10-31-2001, 07:59 PM
Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong. Since a Lysholm SC will compress air whenever it turns, parasitic drag at cruise or idle speeds can only be eliminated by stopping it via a mechanical clutch vs. a bypass valve on a roots type SC. This would make it harder to mount in our already tiny engine bay because of the space needed for the clutch right? Also, since Lysholm SCs have an internal compression ratio wouldn't they be better for high boost applications and not for the J32A2?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:59 PM
Instructor

i wonder how much it would cost to install the supercharger?
Old 11-01-2001, 11:40 AM
Retired Post Whore

So how many people are getting the super charger?
Old 11-01-2001, 12:06 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Once Comptech puts it up on the market, I'm gonan give them the benefit of the doubt and trust that they have tested this product. being the company they are I would hope they don't sell something that can be very damaging to our cars. To that extent I'm putting money in the piggy bank.!
Old 11-01-2001, 12:11 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Not on the car that I have right now. If i trade in what I have now for the 6speed/manny then MAAYBE. We'll have to see what Acura is cooking up for the redesign on next gen Cl by that time.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:56 PM
Instructor

ATTENTION: Wayne & Jens... How much for the install? Are you going to get the supercharger there like the other comptech mods? When can you pencil me in for?
Old 11-01-2001, 01:19 PM
Retired Post Whore

Trust me Jens will have it down packed. He will install the SC in less than a hour!
Old 11-01-2001, 02:40 PM
Mr. Lover-Lover

im all gitty for some reason..hehehehe
Old 11-01-2001, 02:58 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Hopefully by the time the SC is available for purchase I will have my WRX daily driver by then.

This way I can let all those uppity Acura Type-S owners check out the 5 Type-S emblems on the back of my Accord that I jacked from their fellow Type-S owners.

You can have those emblems back.... if you can catch me! :P
Old 11-01-2001, 03:06 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by BNut
I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Hopefully by the time the SC is available for purchase I will have my WRX daily driver by then.

This way I can let all those uppity Acura Type-S owners check out the 5 Type-S emblems on the back of my Accord that I jacked from their fellow Type-S owners.

You can have those emblems back.... if you can catch me! :P
I'm not gonna put anymore stress on the stock tranny.

BNUT, man, so it was you who stole my Type S badge. Lost it the day I saw you at the meet
Old 11-01-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Well, Mike B said it was an Eaton unit. Eaton = Roots....but I would be even happier if it was a twin screw unit....that would be well worth the $4500....seeing as how similar units are priced accordingly...I think Comptech is being very competitive this time.
Not to dis MikeB in anyway, but he's a General Manager, NOT an engineer the built and prototyped the SC setup. If The Mole spoke with Shad (or whatever the engineer's name is) then I would believe his information before I believed MikeB. I'm not knocking MikeB in anway!!!

Its just that if their is disparity b/w the info coming from two people at Comptech and one is a general manager and the other is an engineer who built the prototype, who you gonna believe?
Old 11-01-2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by SilverKnight
I'm not gonna put anymore stress on the stock tranny.

BNUT, man, so it was you who stole my Type S badge. Lost it the day I saw you at the meet
Well, I'm kinda hoping to destroy my stock tranny so I have an excuse to have it custom rebuilt with performance and power in mind rather than being quiet and having smooth shifts. Being single and have a good paying job is great... DISPOSABLE INCOME BABY!!!

LOL, I didn't tell you I've been traveling the country jacking Type-S badges from TL-S and CL-S owners everywhere? Muahahaha...
Old 11-01-2001, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

The more I look at it the more I am convinced it is the Eaton Gen IV blower. Look at the following pic, the item in the red circle is the Bypass Valve Actuator for the Eaton blowers. It is even correctly positioned on the untis for the Gen IV units (second pic), the casing is identical, etc.

Old 11-01-2001, 04:07 PM
Retired Post Whore

So is it a Roots or a Twin Screw type of Supercharger?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not saying it is definitely an Eaton unit, it just seriously looks like one. If it is the Eaton Gen IV M62 or M90 it is a Roots style unit.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by BNut

Not to dis MikeB in anyway, but he's a General Manager, NOT an engineer the built and prototyped the SC setup. If The Mole spoke with Shad (or whatever the engineer's name is) then I would believe his information before I believed MikeB. I'm not knocking MikeB in anway!!!

Its just that if their is disparity b/w the info coming from two people at Comptech and one is a general manager and the other is an engineer who built the prototype, who you gonna believe?
Mike knows his stuff. I've meet him a few times when he's driven the yellow widebody NSX (that car makes you drule) down here to show, and he really know his stuff. Yeah he's a GM, but he's not a dummy, he knows what's going on. He techincally knows his stuff. I'm leaning towards Mike's information that it's an Eaton simply because of the debth of knowledge he displayed in lengthy conversations when he was here in Fresno.

BTW, did they take the yellow NSX to SEMA? That thing is sweet!!!! It's got their widebody kit, a set of black and polished BBS rims (very wide), and the supercharger.... Talk about sweet.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:33 PM
Subie Dubie

I'd love to have it right away, but it's gonna have to be a package deal including install and tranny upgrade for peace of mind. That's gonna be close to 8k, and that's gonna take some time to put $$ aside. Then you'll need to upgrade the brakes to handle the speed, and............

Quick Reply: Comptech SuperCharger From SEMA and other INFO