Comptech Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 06:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Supercharger

Some updates rom the TL forum site, it sounds promising, although I do not know where they come up with this 400 hp figure. Please remember people that the Supercharger dyno numbers include the headers already and you cannot add the 30hp from the Comptech headers on top of the 70-100 hp gained from the Supercharger,. If I recall correctly there were transmissions problems when the car went above 360hp (according to the guys at Rick Case who are working on a turbo for our car). http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008975.html

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
DOM: 10/2000
Old 06-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Banned

One of the guys was telling us a 70 hp gain at the wheels...not necessarily at the top end right!?! It is a Root-type blower...ala the supercharger from Jackson...not a centrifugal one like on the S2k...which BTW wasn't the Supercharger that they wanted, but the only one that would fit. This is actually a better set-up because the power is instant and on tap rather than having to wait for the revs to spin up.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by e1828:
Some updates rom the TL forum site, it sounds promising, although I do not know where they come up with this 400 hp figure. Please remember people that the Supercharger dyno numbers include the headers already and you cannot add the 30hp from the Comptech headers on top of the 70-100 hp gained from the Supercharger,. If I recall correctly there were transmissions problems when the car went above 360hp (according to the guys at Rick Case who are working on a turbo for our car). http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008975.html

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter with Cold Air Funnel and Ram Air Attachment
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-25-2001, 06:57 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent! I was figuring 50-70hp gain with it, so with headers, intake, and SC, I figured 100hp gain, aka 360hp. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:08 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

will the CV joints be able to handle it?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
!BEWARE THE SILVER SWORD!
Old 06-25-2001, 07:09 PM
Old timer

Probably not, but if I can kill one Camaro SS I'll be happy. ;p

-J

------------------
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:45 PM
Unemployed BUM

I was at the Comptech field trip too. The super charger will cost approximately $5000.00, and that includes the cold-box intake. The install time is approximately 8 hours which means about $800 to install.

------------------
Acura CL Type S
White Exterior
Ebony Interior
All Stock parts

---------------
1992 Geo Metro LSI Convertible
Cat-In-The-Hat Sticker
Slashed-up Top
All stock
Anyone know where I can get the Suzuki Swift Turbo Engine?
Old 06-25-2001, 07:59 PM
Banned

Hey friendly..I missed you at the meet. Anyway, the guys in the manufacturing area were telling me that with the exception of a few of the hardcore drag racers...the Honda trannys have been relatively bulletproof, and they seemed even more impressed with our auto sticks...I will however err on the side of caution and probably pick up some billet axles from L10.

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
My Peoples
Old 06-25-2001, 08:34 PM
Old timer

Bulletproof? Was Honda sending them some "engineering samples" (you know, pick of the litter) for trannies?

Seems like every other day another member posts how their tranny is dying/dead.

-J

------------------
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:59 PM
Banned

I have doubts myself on Honda autos...but this must have had a lot more reinforcement because they had to expect a bunch of people using the SS all the time...and banging it everywhere...figures they would dial in a lot more safeguards for this tranny.

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-26-2001, 12:07 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
One of the guys was telling us a 70 hp gain at the wheels...not necessarily at the top end right!?! It is a Root-type blower...ala the supercharger from Jackson...not a centrifugal one like on the S2k...which BTW wasn't the Supercharger that they wanted, but the only one that would fit. This is actually a better set-up because the power is instant and on tap rather than having to wait for the revs to spin up.

</font>
Mike Bibinoff has specifically stated that the Supercharger will be a "Centrifugal Type" Blower, like the s2000, and not a roots type blower (Jackson Racing) or a screw type blower (Comptech NSX SC). Such blowers would totally replace the dual staged intake manifold, not to mention they had previously said that such a setup would not clear the hood and therefore was not a feasible setup. Therefore the Centrifugal setup was the route to go. Further proof of this is the fact that they used a smaller battery in the Accord v6 setup, further justifying the use of a centrifugal spooler where the battery normally is or around that location, directly connected to a driveshaft that runs across the engine bay and connects the pullies. However, since they had changed their blower on the s2000 initially from a screw type to a centrifugal during middle testing, anything could therefore change with the v6 supercharger they're now developing as any number of problems could reveal themselves in the time ahead.

Who exactly said it was actually a roots type blower?? I'm wondering whether now if it's a centrifugal or a roots now. But if it is a roots, ur actuators and dual staged manifolds all would have to removed, robbing u of some power...

------------------
-=SoCalV6=-
1999 TW Accord EX v6 Cpe
aka Valentine with some show 'n go.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=915449&a=6671899
*Comptech Headers, Sways, V6 Oil Cap/Batt TD
*WeaponR Circuit Pros,CF Intake, Dragon Filter, FPR, Breather, Coo Res, G-Spec Floors, 4-PTs
*CL Type S Frnt Strut Bar
*Koni Yellows
*18/7.5/+40 Volk TE37s
*225/40/18 Nitto NT-555s
*Tanabe Hyper Medals
*PIAA Hi's,lo's,Fogs, Wedge
*Nology HotWires,Powercore Ig Amp
*Razo Pedals, NE AT Knob
*GD2000BW, WW Touring Wing
Old 06-27-2001, 12:16 PM
Rod
Drifting

If you're going to get the Comptech supercharger, headers, exhaust, and springs wouldn't you be better off starting with a CL-P than a CL-S since the dual-stage intake will be removed? With this gone, some of the only differneces left are the suspension and exhaust system which will be taken care of by the Comptech parts. I think the CL-S has a higher compression ratio too, but wouldn't this just allow you to run more boost more easily on a CL-P since it has the lower compression ratio of the two?
Old 06-27-2001, 01:12 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Ugh, more i think about it the more a turbo makes sense for the CL-S. MikeB at Comptech said that they are concerned with heat issues......Superchargers don't make heat? Too hard to develope a intercooler? Anybody have any ideas? I hope that Rick Case can develope something which may force Comptech to start on a turbo. Hey MachTypeS, any updates on that TT CL-S?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-27-2001, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zapata:
Superchargers don't make heat? Too hard to develope a intercooler? Anybody have any ideas?
</font>
Superchargers do make heat, anytime you compress air you heat it. Secondly, when you force more air and fuel into an engine to create more power, more heat is generated internally. This heat will find its way into the engine bay and saturate many components.

Depending on the ambient temps and the efficiency of the blower it could heat the intake air up to 250 - 300 F. If an IC is 80% efficient you could get this back down in the mid to low 100 F. But that still doesn't do anything for the additional heat that is generated due to increased power. They'll (Comptech, etc.) will have to test the stock cooling system to make sure it is capable of handling this.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Comptech will not make a turbo for any car. They will stick with SCs.

Ugh, more i think about it the more a turbo makes sense for the CL-S. MikeB at Comptech said that they are concerned with heat issues......Superchargers don't make heat? Too hard to develope a intercooler? Anybody have any ideas? I hope that Rick Case can develope something which may force Comptech to start on a turbo. Hey MachTypeS, any updates on that TT CL-S?

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-27-2001, 02:04 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Why?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-27-2001, 02:09 PM
foolio at heart

Well didn't any of you guys that went to the open house actually see under the hood?

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

[This message has been edited by blxmjx (edited 06-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by blxmjx (edited 06-29-2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 02:18 PM
Advanced

The import turbo market is dominated by HKS and Greddy.

Comptech is at the forefront for SC applications and it would be a pretty bad business decision to get involved in turbocharging, not to mention costly.
Old 06-27-2001, 02:44 PM
Banned

The guy in manufacturing said it was definitely going to be roots or a screw...he told me they wanted to use the above type on the S2k but they just couldn't fit it in there. He also noted that they are trying to keep everything involved with the intake manifold...so, as to make the install as easy as possible.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -=SoCalV6=-:
Mike Bibinoff has specifically stated that the Supercharger will be a "Centrifugal Type" Blower, like the s2000, and not a roots type blower (Jackson Racing) or a screw type blower (Comptech NSX SC). Such blowers would totally replace the dual staged intake manifold, not to mention they had previously said that such a setup would not clear the hood and therefore was not a feasible setup. Therefore the Centrifugal setup was the route to go. Further proof of this is the fact that they used a smaller battery in the Accord v6 setup, further justifying the use of a centrifugal spooler where the battery normally is or around that location, directly connected to a driveshaft that runs across the engine bay and connects the pullies. However, since they had changed their blower on the s2000 initially from a screw type to a centrifugal during middle testing, anything could therefore change with the v6 supercharger they're now developing as any number of problems could reveal themselves in the time ahead.

Who exactly said it was actually a roots type blower?? I'm wondering whether now if it's a centrifugal or a roots now. But if it is a roots, ur actuators and dual staged manifolds all would have to removed, robbing u of some power...

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-27-2001, 06:07 PM
Racer

Wow, you mean a new intake manifold with an integrated supercharger? That would be pretty slick. Doesn't Saleen do something like that to the S281?
Old 06-28-2001, 03:36 PM
Banned

Yes, the compression is high on our CL-S, so is the ITR...10.5:1...but the compression on a CL-P is still 10:1, so it's not that much of an issue...if you're not running more than 8 lbs. of boost...your stock motor can handle it....heck, they're integ and prelude motors with rebuilt bottom ends that have 11+:1 compression and still run 20lbs. of boost. BTW, the aggressive VTEC cam that the S has takes to forced induction very well, like all VTEC cars. And as I stated before...they plan on keeping everything on the S intake manifold. I'm not an expert, so...I can't really say how...but there are a number of roots-SCs that still use the stock intake manifold. No, they would not let us see under the hood...still in the early developmental stages with lots of custom parts...and I'm sure they don't want to reveal how they are designing the piping and what not to just anybody.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod:
If you're going to get the Comptech supercharger, headers, exhaust, and springs wouldn't you be better off starting with a CL-P than a CL-S since the dual-stage intake will be removed? With this gone, some of the only differneces left are the suspension and exhaust system which will be taken care of by the Comptech parts. I think the CL-S has a higher compression ratio too, but wouldn't this just allow you to run more boost more easily on a CL-P since it has the lower compression ratio of the two?</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-28-2001, 07:10 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Still not sure why Comptech doesn't develop a turbo. So what if Greddy and the other place has turbo's out there. Other places also have SC and comptech is developing one. I think more people might by a turbo from Comptech because of the
quasi-relationship with honda/acura. Anybody talk with Greddy to see if they are going to develop a turbo for the CLS?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-28-2001, 07:33 PM
Race Director

do SC's increase fuel consumption?

5k is way too much, with shipping and installation, not worth it, unless the price is cut in half...

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
MOD @ WWW.POSTWHORES.COM
Old 06-28-2001, 07:41 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
do SC's increase fuel consumption?

</font>
Yeah, SCs increase the amount of air going into an engine so that it can burn more fuel in order to create more power.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:42 PM
Race Director

that sux

screw the supercharger..i dont think its any good with our tires anyway..

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
MOD @ WWW.POSTWHORES.COM
Old 06-28-2001, 08:41 PM
I love my CL-S

I think its too expensive..i would rather spend the money on header and nice rims

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
Piaa 19169
Cannon winter floor mats
35% and 5% tint
Old 06-28-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS:
I think its too expensive..i would rather spend the money on header and nice rims

</font>
thats you big dawg, but some poeple up in thi mother think it's a good invest, the speed demons that is. i, myself, would do the H_2_O....75-100 shot. level 10 trany!

------------------
Future "bucket": 96-99 GST/GSX or 93-99 Prelude w/ bolt on turbo
Previous ride: '01 CL-S, Black, dropped 2 in....couldn't make da payments
Old 06-29-2001, 12:06 AM
I love my CL-S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dyno_CL-S:
Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS:

</font>
thats you big dawg, but some poeple up in thi mother think it's a good invest, the speed demons that is. i, myself, would do the H_2_O....75-100 shot. level 10 trany!

hehehe..let's see how many cl-s ppl would buy it when the sc's release

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
Polarg M6
Cannon winter floor mats
35% and 5% tint
Acura-cl.com sticker
Old 06-29-2001, 12:33 AM
Old timer

H2O? Why you do a shot of water? LOL

-J

------------------
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
I smell Comptech springs and sways in the near future! w00t!
Old 06-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Banned

Well, the trouble first and foremost with turbos are the maintenance required. I'm not saying that SCs are plug and play...but a lot less maintenance than a turbo. BTW, if they design a turbo..they have to design an exhaust manifold and intercooler set-up to fit in the CL without any cutting. That's the whole idea behind Comptech's approach...they want everything to be able to be returned to stock easily if you so choose.
Still not sure why Comptech doesn't develop a turbo. So what if Greddy and the other place has turbo's out there. Other places also have SC and comptech is developing one. I think more people might by a turbo from Comptech because of the
quasi-relationship with honda/acura. Anybody talk with Greddy to see if they are going to develop a turbo for the CLS?

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-29-2001, 05:15 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

moomaster,
Ah, i see.....thanks.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-29-2001, 05:18 PM
Banned

Just trying to let you see how Comptech's marketing strategy is aimed...
moomaster,
Ah, i see.....thanks.

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-29-2001, 05:23 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

no, no, info is much appreciated. I have much to learn yet so whatever you got.....

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-29-2001, 05:47 PM
Instructor

I've never owned a SC but I did have a turbo kit on my 98 prelude. What difference maintainence wise is there btw the SC and turbo? I know having a turbo, you need to add on other goodies, like a booster controller, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, turbo timer, etc....but for maintainence, there was nothing different with regards to doing the normal oil changes, spark plugs etc. I loved the turbo, esp the turbo spool and the blow off Ok I'm missing my turbo now =~(
It's in a box sitting in the garage waiting to be sold off *sniff sniff*

------------------
David Lew
2001 CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 06:02 PM
Banned

Well...you need watch all that stuff. The SC doesn't need you to add all that other stuff..usually, and having to let the turbo cool down...all those little things that add up. That's my opinion though...and having a boost controller is just dangerous...BOOST JUNKIES!!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlew308:
I've never owned a SC but I did have a turbo kit on my 98 prelude. What difference maintainence wise is there btw the SC and turbo? I know having a turbo, you need to add on other goodies, like a booster controller, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, turbo timer, etc....but for maintainence, there was nothing different with regards to doing the normal oil changes, spark plugs etc. I loved the turbo, esp the turbo spool and the blow off Ok I'm missing my turbo now =~(

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-29-2001, 06:06 PM
Drifting

You also need to change the oil on a turbo car more frequently since the turbo uses the same oil as your engine.

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlew308:

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
RED AEM Pulleys
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-29-2001, 06:29 PM
Firestarter

Guys, guys, guys!! pardon my logic, but why spend 5000 on a Supercharger?? You want a 360 - 400 hp car? there are plenty on the market: Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras, M5s, etc. Why buy a CL? do you think the car was designed to handle that kind of power? There is only so much juice you can squeeze out of a car. anyway, whatever!

------------------
Silver CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 07:49 PM
Banned

You can squeeze over 300hp at the crank from a 1.6L Sohc motor.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shockboltthrower:
Guys, guys, guys!! pardon my logic, but why spend 5000 on a Supercharger?? You want a 360 - 400 hp car? there are plenty on the market: Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras, M5s, etc. Why buy a CL? do you think the car was designed to handle that kind of power? There is only so much juice you can squeeze out of a car. anyway, whatever!

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
My Peoples
Old 06-29-2001, 07:55 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shockboltthrower:

</font>
Because they want a 400HP CL, not a Viper, Vette, Cobra, or anything else. I wouldn't waste that money on the supercharger either, but to each his own.
Old 06-30-2001, 02:12 PM
RWD convert

I see the Comptech Supercharger as being overpriced. We can have a custom turbo done prob. for cheaper than that. I'd rather go the turbo route than supercharging anyway.
Old 06-30-2001, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by shockboltthrower:
<STRONG>Guys, guys, guys!! pardon my logic, but why spend 5000 on a Supercharger?? You want a 360 - 400 hp car? there are plenty on the market: Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras, M5s, etc. Why buy a CL? do you think the car was designed to handle that kind of power? There is only so much juice you can squeeze out of a car. anyway, whatever!

</STRONG>
I would have to agree with that..Why would you spend $5000+(500-800 for install) for a SC, $1000 for headers, Springs, sways, tires, and so on, all on a CL.Which after the price of the car brings the total around $38,000-40,000..You could have bought a 99 M3 for that much!! And not have to worry if the tranny will even hold up..I'm not saying anything bad about the CL, I just don't feel that the car was made for this kinda of stuff, and to me i don't see spending all that money when you could have bought a different car that would more suit the way you want the car to be. This is just my 2 cents, so don't get mad at me if you feel differently..Everyone has their own reasons.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: ATLCL-S ]

Quick Reply: Comptech Supercharger