Comptech, Stone, or OBX..............

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech, Stone, or OBX..............

I wanted to get some headers but not sure which ones to get.

I've recently read that:

Comptech is great but $1200.00.

Stone has fitting problems (don't know if resolved yet).

OBX is the cheapest but has an annoying resonance @ low rpms.

Which ones???????

All input is welcome.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:16 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

obx headers the cheapest
Old 09-19-2003, 08:27 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stone or obx, if u can afford comptech then go comptech
Old 09-19-2003, 08:27 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

I wouldn't recommend the cheapest... cheap = poor quality, means they may not last as long or even fit right. Keep your eyes open for some used Comptech's maybe... I managed to get mine brand new for $800.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:41 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What re you talking about. Ive had my obx headers on my TL for almost a year and have put them through one of New Yorks worse winters and they still looks great and perform great. Not a hint of resonance and everything is is holding beautifully.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:46 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by BlueCLS6
I wouldn't recommend the cheapest... cheap = poor quality, means they may not last as long or even fit right. Keep your eyes open for some used Comptech's maybe... I managed to get mine brand new for $800.

I got my comptech headers used and it is great!

If you got the $$$ then comptech all the way.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
anything but comptech is very hit and miss.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

hey bigman, which gaskets did you use, obx, new OEM, or did you reuse ur old ones?
Old 09-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Beware of leakage

Re: Comptech, Stone, or OBX..............

Originally posted by Red-CL
[B]I wanted to get some headers but not sure which ones to get.

I've recently read that:

Comptech is great but $1200.00.

Stone has fitting problems (don't know if resolved yet).

OBX is the cheapest but has an annoying resonance @ low rpms.

Which ones???????

B]
I am in the same dilemma, keeping an eye out for some used CT's though.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:51 PM
A-CL Senior Member

I have the same question regarding which gaskets did you use when putting on those obx headers?
Old 09-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Subie Dubie

Get the Comptechs. There's a post today about cracks in the OBXs, check it out.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:35 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Like there couldn't be cracks in CT headers? You guys are fuckin' ridiculous!

I have the OBX headers, and I have no complaints. It's all in how you install them. I heard mixed reviews of the Stone headers just as I have the CT headers, mainly their high ass cost. Performance wise, it's a toss up, but from what I hear, the CT is a much better quality build job than my OBX headers, but I got mine for 1/4 of the price of new CT headers - you do the math!!! That extra cash got me some other mods, I figure if it's that critical, I can always go back and buy some CT headers.

You make the choice for what you can do. I am like everyone else, if you can afford them, get the CT's, if you can't, then get the OBX's.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:14 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by dajuice27
there's lots of ppl on here who have used the CT Headers with absolutely no problems. How is it so rediculous to say that the level of quality control CT uses makes it so that there won't be a chance for cracks?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:33 PM
One who Laps

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dajuice27
[B]Like there couldn't be cracks in CT headers? You guys are fuckin' ridiculous!

That comment is ridiculous! Show me one person on this forum who has had the Comptech's crack.
If you looked at a set of Comptech's and compared them to the OBX's you would'nt make comments like that.
I had the OBX's and they leaked something fierce because of warped flanges. No installer in the world can make the headers any better and after getting the Comptech's, I laughed at the quality difference, no comparison.
I say you buy nothing until you can afford the Comptech's, you'll never be sorry.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Subie Dubie

I have the OBX headers, and I have no complaints. It's all in how you install them. I heard mixed reviews of the Stone headers just as I have the CT headers, mainly their high ass cost. Performance wise, it's a toss up, but from what I hear, the CT is a much better quality build job than my OBX headers, but I got mine for 1/4 of the price of new CT headers - you do the math!!! That extra cash got me some other mods, I figure if it's that critical, I can always go back and buy some CT headers.

You make the choice for what you can do. I am like everyone else, if you can afford them, get the CT's, if you can't, then get the OBX's.
I've never heard one person have a problem with Comptech headers, not one. Now with OBX we've seen posts on peeling, cracking, and resonance ,and they've only been out for maybe a year, Comptechs have been on some cars for 3 years. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:28 AM
Pro

where are the OBX's cracking? at the welds? I installed a set of OBX's and they just didn't fit right. Had to ream out a couple of the holes on both sides if I recall correctly. Not a huge deal, but definitely shows a lack in quality control if you ask me. The other issue was that the mount for the 02 sensor was way too close to the tranny. The end of the sensor where the wires come out is practically touching the tranny. I don't know how much play there is for the tranny to move when you hit a bump or whatever, but it's close. I don't think it will be an issue, but at the same time I don't see why it had to be right there like that.

I'm sure the comptechs are better...but are they 3 times better? that is up to the comsumer. I know I would hate to have to take off the headers to have them rewelded or whatever. The resonance is definitely there, but not too annoying. With the stereo on it's not really noticable and it seems like the car doesn't go into that area of the RPM band too often anyway.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Masshole

Not again!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:16 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraTLSFan
hey bigman, which gaskets did you use, obx, new OEM, or did you reuse ur old ones?
i used new oems
Old 09-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by tmk70
Not again!!!
yes, here we go again.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Pro

i used new oems

me too....new oem ones that is. I wouldn't reuse a gasket.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:53 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just let this issue Die already. Do a search!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:12 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

If they are used would you get the same performance out of them?>??
Old 09-23-2003, 05:09 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

My point by saying that comment was that you guys think these headers are bullet proof. Maybe no one here has had any problems with the CT headers, but they do not exclusively make headers for Acura cars, they make them for all types and models. What most of this information is based on originates from this and a sister forum, not fair if you were in the real world doing a marketing survey for quality control purposes.

I agree with you guys, so don't edit my post to make me seem like I know nothing. I said, get the CT's if you can afford them, but if you want to save some dough, get the OBX headers.

"You make the choice for what you can do. I am like everyone else, if you can afford them, get the CT's, if you can't, then get the OBX's."

And to the little rat bastard with 172 posts doubting me, I have seen both CT and OBX headers, and I chose the OBX so I could purchase other mods. No doubt there is a quality difference, but I'd still make the same choice again. I have 3 cars and if I spent all my money buying the most expensive mods for them all the time, I'd be classified as a fool. 1 car would get CT's, but 3 say OBX, it's all about economics young jedi, and you too shall learn my friend.

And to all of you, re read my post, I never claimed any product to be better than the other, I just stated my answer to Red-CL's question from my point of view and personal experience.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Subie Dubie

My point by saying that comment was that you guys think these headers are bullet proof. Maybe no one here has had any problems with the CT headers, but they do not exclusively make headers for Acura cars, they make them for all types and models. What most of this information is based on originates from this and a sister forum, not fair if you were in the real world doing a marketing survey for quality control purposes.

I agree with you guys, so don't edit my post to make me seem like I know nothing. I said, get the CT's if you can afford them, but if you want to save some dough, get the OBX headers.

"You make the choice for what you can do. I am like everyone else, if you can afford them, get the CT's, if you can't, then get the OBX's."

And to the little rat bastard with 172 posts doubting me, I have seen both CT and OBX headers, and I chose the OBX so I could purchase other mods. No doubt there is a quality difference, but I'd still make the same choice again. I have 3 cars and if I spent all my money buying the most expensive mods for them all the time, I'd be classified as a fool. 1 car would get CT's, but 3 say OBX, it's all about economics young jedi, and you too shall learn my friend.

And to all of you, re read my post, I never claimed any product to be better than the other, I just stated my answer to Red-CL's question from my point of view and personal experience.
Well said my man
Old 09-23-2003, 08:57 PM
One who Laps

I will agree that an individual's economics are an important factor in choosing which headers to buy, people choose what looks to be affordable for them, sometimes disregarding quality.
If you end up having problems with the OBX's you could end up spending more than you originally expected, which is what happened to me.
So, since you're such a smartass MR. 2,000+ posts, how do we know you've seen both?
I sold my OBX's to a member here and others here have seen my new Comptech's, so I do speak from experience and if I had it to do again I would have purchased the Comptech's off the bat or waited until I could afford it, but that's my opinion.
You should be careful in judging people by the number of posts they have or in calling them names, it's kinda stupid, don't you think?
By the way, I'm 34 with two kids, not a young Jedi my friend and I've learned much to enable me to afford the overpriced Comptech's. So when you're OBX's crack or warp, don't come complaining here and it's just a matter of time before we start to see more of these complaints.
Keep posting like this and you'll be up to 3,000 soon, then you'll be an official genius here.

Old 09-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Banned

Take it from my experience, I first got a brand new OBX $400, then installed it $200, then get it wrapped with DEI product to reduce resonance $200 labor, that didn't help, so I finally got the Comptech headers $1000 more plust $200 labor, so what did I end up spending on the headers upgrade? $2000

If I had know I would've gone with Comptech in the first place, woulda saved me almost $1000
Make a wise choice for those of you that are still having a dilemma.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by bigman
What re you talking about. Ive had my obx headers on my TL for almost a year and have put them through one of New Yorks worse winters and they still looks great and perform great. Not a hint of resonance and everything is is holding beautifully.

Mine went on fine, no fitment problems at all, and that resonance sound you speak of is barely noticable. It happens very rarely, and when it does happen, it's for a millisecond and the sound blends in with the exhaust.

Bottom line is if you've got the coin... get the Comptech's. If you don't have $1100 to blow on headers, the OBX or Stone will get you the same performance for a fraction of the price.

It's funny b/c people will bash the OBX and Stone headers b/c of the few problems a couple of people have had... meanwhile everyone seems to forget that the first few Comptech header batches had many problems as well... and Comptech had to re-release them. Anyway, the decision is up to how much extra money you have.

I am going to close this since the topic has been beat to death. If you need more info then what's in here... you can do a search.