comptech stb install

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
comptech stb install

I wanted to see if anyone who installed the comptech stb can help me with mounting the fuse box bracket. It says to do it last but I have no room to get any tools or my hands under after to attach it to the bottom of the cowl. The instructions dont tell you anything and i am not sure if there is a piece missing from where the bracket connects with the fuse box also. I assume you attach the bracket to the bottom of the cowl and then does the other end go above or under the fuse box bracket?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Lone Wolf

I also wanted to ask is there a DIY on replacing the headlight bulbs I searched and found nothing. The service manual only has instructions on the high beams. I could just disconnect battery and start taking it apart but directions would make it easier.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
not sure about the fuse box. never installed a comptech stb. but if its like oem. u pop out two small vents where the windshield wipers are then their will be two 12mm nuts under each vent. so when u put the comptech stb in u do the opposite of that.

for the headlights. u need a security bit (forgot which one) and u take the screw off and turn the cover. disconnect the connector from the bulb, then theirs a clip that hold the bulb in. u unhook it, lift up on it and take the bulb out. its easy once u have done it one. takes me 2 min to do both lights. i never disconnected teh battery. but u can if u want too.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by Rajca
not sure about the fuse box. never installed a comptech stb. but if its like oem. u pop out two small vents where the windshield wipers are then their will be two 12mm nuts under each vent. so when u put the comptech stb in u do the opposite of that.

for the headlights. u need a security bit (forgot which one) and u take the screw off and turn the cover. disconnect the connector from the bulb, then theirs a clip that hold the bulb in. u unhook it, lift up on it and take the bulb out. its easy once u have done it one. takes me 2 min to do both lights. i never disconnected teh battery. but u can if u want too.
what you are referring to on the ct stb are called the cowls. What I was referring to is the bracket that attaches to the passenger side cowl. The bracket connects from the cowl to the big fuse box.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:40 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
ahh i see. zip tie it on teh bar for now. or dont screw it down at all
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
6speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there should be a hole on the left side of the strut bar for the bracket. not sure how youre supposed to attach the fuse box to the bracket. Mine never came with the bracket so my fuse box is still hanging by only one screw :\

the torx bit is a t-15 or a t-10. most likely the t-15. then just follow rajca's instructions. oh you will probably have to take out the liner in order to get to the headlight next to the battery.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Lone Wolf

I replaced the headlight bulbs that was easy. There is a diy in the TL section I found after. Anyone with the comptech strut tower bar able to help on the mounting of the bracket. I know where the hole is on the cowl. I am assuming that you attach the bracket to the bottom of the cowl with the screw attaching underneath and facing up. Then does the other end of the bracket connect above or below the plastic bracket piece on the fuse box. it looks like a piece is missing from the fuse box bracket becasue all i have is a big hole that dsnt seem like it can attach to the top or bottom how it is. Anyone have a pic would really help. Also if you attach the bracket to the cowl from the bottom how did you find room to get the screw screwed in. On the ct instructions it says to mount this bracket last, but to me it seems like you have to mount it to the cowl before you mount the bar to the car.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
that fuse box bracket attaches to the stb from the underside iirc, then it attaches to the fusebox, using the stock bolt (let me see if i got a picture of it, not going outside right now, it's raining and suppose to snow later )

btw when i bought my bar, that bracket was already attached and lined up

Last edited by friesm2000; 05-11-2010 at 06:25 PM.