Comptech Springs/Sways Review!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 09:15 PM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Springs/Sways Review!!!

Review of Comptech Springs/Sway bars:

This review comes from a person that has limited technical understanding of car suspension and ride handling so bear with me:

To sum it up in one sentence: “THERE’S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO BUY THE COMPTECH SPRINGS AND SWAY BARS”.

Now for the details:

Getting in the ride, it felt a little lower. When you turn the ignition on, and turn the wheel, that is the first sign of change…I couldn’t tell what kind of change (bad or good) but it felt as though the steering was much easier and smoother.

When I pulled out the dealer lot, that is when I know the car suspension has been modified. It was ROCK SOLID…not the ride but the way the car drove off the lot (in a straight-away). You can totally notice the change from stock CLS suspension to the new Comptech upgraded suspension. Now I head off to the nearest highway on-ramp and that is when I really know the car handles differently.

I corner in going 40 mph at first and guess what, the roll is reduced so much that I don’t believe it exists! The car is so solid in her stance that you can’t help but feel the road and how the car hugs the road.

Now for the real test, I speed up to 80MPH with light traffic and I weave in and out of traffic like the cops were after me the car handles superbly! I mean it feels so solid that I recalled a distant memory of the same feeling if not better – It was from riding a BMW 325i back 4 years ago. It’s that good.

Before I went to pick my ride up one of my friends gave me a ride in his GS400. Now this car is the platinum series and it has 245/40R17 wheel/tires and it was lowered with some springs that costs like $800 (so he says). Let me say that the GS400 was such a nice comfortable ride that it beats our stock CLS hands down. It was smooooooth! With the springs, it was still smooth. He corned for me several times and it was pretty good..but it had lots of body roll (I know this cause my body leans big time)…

Now after getting these Comptech springs and sway bars (front & rear), let me just say that my CLS now rides WAY BETTER THAN HIS GS400 (with springs). I’m not bullshitting but the ride in my CLS is so tight that it’s beautiful.

I have yet to test out more by going fast and cornering hard…but let me say that this is how the TYPE-S should feel like…if you have the cash to blow, buy both the Comptech springs and sway bar set. YOU WILL NOT REGRET FORKING OVER THE MONEY FOR THE SPRINGS AND SWAYS. The ride is THAT GOOD compared to the stock CLS. AWESOME and worth every penny!

Anyone curious to know if the ride is stiff, the answer is YES. But it’s not STIFF stiff, but TIGHT. It feels really solid…and the stance when corner feels so much controlled. Words can’t describe it. You must drive one modified with the springs and sways.

As for noise? Yes and no. Our car rattles anyway. The springs don’t increase it that much…just when you go over really rough roads, it’ll rattle the parts that usually rattle. Other than that, going over bumps and rough roads are really nice. It’s overall smooth and gives a really TIGHT control!

Anyway, I gotta go test drive some more. This is really awesome. The car totally feels great and I never expected lowering your car and adding sway bars can make it feel so different—so controlled!

Damn, I can’t imagine getting expensive shocks to go with these springs…I bet the ride is even tighter.

Old 02-23-2001, 09:59 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDT-TypeS:
Review of Comptech Springs/Sway bars:

Damn, I can’t imagine getting expensive shocks to go with these springs…I bet the ride is even tighter.

</font>
Why yes, it is quite. I bet you have them in less than 6 months from now. Might as well finish it off. The stock shocks really are not stiff enough for the springs--way too much bounce.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next
Old 02-24-2001, 01:22 AM
ACME sucks!

I'm planning to buy the Comptech springs and sways as soon as I can find a reputable place that will install them properly. None of the dealers around here will do it, but I have found a couple of places that do, but need more checkin' out first. I'm very picky!

I will probably get new shocks after I wear out the stock ones.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim
Old 02-24-2001, 04:04 AM
Instructor

All I wanna know is if springs and strays can make the Ac- move like them cars in that scene from the movie RONIN. These were obviously well built vehicles, but with some mods on our cars could it possibly handle the road like that.. You got to admit that scene tops them all... Not a pro like that yet :-/.. and what is this deal about having to adjust your headlights and noise and crap.. Very discouraging risks it seems. :-(

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK &lt;&gt; EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
~ REAR SPOILER ~ ** ~ACURA NOSE GUARD BRA~
~GOLD EMBLEM KIT + GRILLE~ ** ~ROOF VISOR~
~MUD GUARDS~ ** ~WOOD TRIM KIT~
~MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~
~ CARGO NET~ ** ~ WHEEL LOCKS~
~35% METALLIC CHROME TINT (all doors)~
~V-1 RADAR DETECTOR W/ REMOTE~
~MOTOROLA HANDSFREE PRO-INSTALL PHONE KIT~
~ALPINE 350W AMP - W/ 12" XTANT SPEAKER~

Joey's Mistress
Old 02-24-2001, 04:12 AM
Racer

Is it worth is just to get the sways.. i dont really want to lower the car at all. I like the feeling of not having to worry if i am going to hit the concret parking lot blocks. And if i did what would the aprx cost?

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Tints, piaa road lamps, hyper white turning signals & backup lights, eyebrows
Old 02-24-2001, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

DDT-TypeS glad you worked out your problem. See the ride is UNBELIEVEABLY better. 10,000 frenchmen can't be wrong!

I also noticed that after a while even the firmness seems to lessen. You will soon forget how the stock ride was and to quote somebody else....Acura should of done this from the start!

LarryB, it seems that nobody, as of yet, has had only had the sways installed. To me it was a matter of cost cutting because I could have both springs and sways done at the same time even though the sways did cost me $74 more at the dealer. I at first wanted only the sways. But!, I'm very very glad I didn't.

Having just the sways installed would be interesting because many folks here seem to be in your frame of mind. I can tell you that the difference between the stock and the Comptech sways are huge. The stock are as already mentioned, like toys when compared to the Comptech's.
OTOH I was most impressed after the spring sand sway install how much better (more aggressive and ground hugging) the car sits. As for curbs, yes, I must be careful when parking front in so I don't scrape my chin.

Btw if you do opt for the sways or springs or both I'd recommend you go thru Tim (aka snook) over at http://www.autocarparts.com

Good Luck

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-24-2001, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Anyone had spings installed in the Dallas area? If so, who did the work and how much did it cost?
Old 02-24-2001, 04:41 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sneakypete:
Anyone had spings installed in the Dallas area? If so, who did the work and how much did it cost?</font>
I'm working on that right now. So far, the dealers I've called said they wouldn't do it (Vandergriff, Goodson, Churchill). David McDavid supposedly will, but for a high fee! I called Jotech in Garland and they quoted me $150 for springs and $200 for sways (4 hours), they are at the top of my list. Although, I am currently trying to work a deal with some mechanics at Vandergriff that do work on the side.

More later.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim
Old 02-24-2001, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Do you need to install new shocks if you get springs and sways. I'm thinking about ordering some now after reading these post.. Found myself doing a lot of weaving in traffic lately....

------------------
~MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~

Joey's Mistress
Old 02-24-2001, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Do you need to install new shocks if you get springs and sways. I'm thinking about ordering some now after reading these post.. Found myself doing a lot of weaving in traffic lately....

------------------
~MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~

Joey's Mistress
Old 02-24-2001, 06:38 PM
6SPDCLS

Springs/Sways Update...

Got a chance to drive alot more with the new Comptech springs/sways installed. The more I drive the car, the more I love the way the car handles!

When I switch lanes, the car practically moves sideways! I've gotten a chance to HARD CORNER on highway on-ramps and if I didn't get these springs/sways, the car would've still gone thru the corners...but with great unstability. With the new springs/sways, the car just corners thru those curves like it's on rails! No tire chirps either!

I just can't believe how good it is...(yes, I'm freakin' out). as for the headlights, you can adjust them yourself if you need to. I'm experimenting with the differences.

I think the struts we have are just perfect. I haven't had any experience with the other struts people have installed but I hear from the dealer that our struts are way better than after market struts.

I guess Acura didn't include these springs and sways because it would bring the MSRP up! I can't stress that this is how the Type-S should handle..not like the stock CLS!

Old 02-25-2001, 12:21 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LarryB:
Is it worth is just to get the sways.. i dont really want to lower the car at all. I like the feeling of not having to worry if i am going to hit the concret parking lot blocks. And if i did what would the aprx cost?
</font>
Larry,
You ask the question most of the rest of us have thought about. I don't want to lower mine either but the idea of adding heavier sways to help the cornering ... that's sounds like an idea. I may just buy 'em and try 'em and if I don't like 'em, I'll sell 'em.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 02-25-2001, 02:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lead_sled_dog:
Larry,
You ask the question most of the rest of us have thought about. I don't want to lower mine either but the idea of adding heavier sways to help the cornering ... that's sounds like an idea. I may just buy 'em and try 'em and if I don't like 'em, I'll sell 'em.

</font>
...im glad both of you mentioned this ...i want to eliminate SOME fender gap but the pics ive seen of the comptechs are TOO low and FLAT forme im looking at the possibility of these H&R's called o.e.sport .75f/.50r i think this might be perfect for those who dont want to lower the car but wouldnt mind some of this improved driving experienc of course i would add the sways to this set up!!!!give it some thought if it works out i WILL post pics

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit