Comptech springs or H&R ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech springs or H&R ?????

I have my Comptech springs for about 6 months and I notice the uneven drop is more significant now. Why do the Comptech springs drop 1.5 inch in front and only an inch rear. It seems like my front is much lower than my rear and I think its from the weight in the front. Im even thinking of switching to H&R, do those provide and even drop and if so what shocks would you recommend me upgrading to???I always hear good things about Koni's but what about Bilstein, Tokico,does anyone know of any other good shocks that are made for our cars ?????
Old 10-27-2002, 10:29 PM
Banned

My h&r drop 1.75 evenly on all four, but since the cl has a natural front gap that's about twice the rear, so the final result is 2 finger gap front and 1.5 finger gap back. For my personal preference it's just perfect for normal roads. I put mine with tokico illuminas on setting 3, they're just sweet. Go for the coilovers if you're going to be changing the height constantly.
peace.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The butt-up look might not be the "show" option, but a slight lift at the rear will help weight transfer and depending on the body, will help with lift and drag issues (the lift and drag gets a big speculative and is more of a generalization).

If you're going to be heading to a 1/4-mile event, the slight tilt isn't going to hurt (and will probably help).

I'm waiting to see what's happening with the Bilsteins that are due in November (but probably wont be out till Jan '03). They are for the Accord and come in HD (heavy duty) and SP (sport). Not having an active suspension button, I tend towards Bilsteins based on experience (just my own and that of a few friends). There was an earlier time when you would have to shoot me to drag my adjustable Konis away from me... )

BTW, a few people have mentioned the Teins and possible stepper motor addition for our cars.. They were talking about second or third quarter of 2003 for a redesign of the CLS/TLS coilovers to accept the current stepper motors they use to remotely operate the compression/rebound of the shocks. The inside-the-cockpit adjustment of damping combined with some slight bumpstop, spring rate and re-valving options/modifications might make this a killer solution by mid-2003. (To be clear – I just wanted to know if they could make some slight changes to the bumpstops (for my “tight fit setup”); changes to valving (by stroke length and velocity), and to spring rates. The only option that seems to be a non-starter now, is progressive rate springs…

LINK: http://www.tein.co.jp/edfce.html

YMMV
Old 10-28-2002, 06:06 AM
Banned

EricL what type of setup do you have and are you satisfied with it or are you looking for improvements? I did the Comptech springs with stock shocks because when I called Comptech they said that is what they did in their car. I honestly think the stock shocks are too soft with the added tension after the drop.
I also heard great things about Bilstein but I don't know how they compare to Koni's. I just do not want to make a mistake again so I am really going to do my research on this one. Thanks for you response.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by lou
EricL what type of setup do you have and are you satisfied with it or are you looking for improvements? I did the Comptech springs with stock shocks because when I called Comptech they said that is what they did in their car. I honestly think the stock shocks are too soft with the added tension after the drop.
I also heard great things about Bilstein but I don't know how they compare to Koni's. I just do not want to make a mistake again so I am really going to do my research on this one. Thanks for you response.

I totally agree about your stock shocks being a bit too soft for the Comptechs.

Current suspension setup:

17x8" +48 SSR Competition wheels + 235/45-17 Toyo T1S (Comptech sways and additional front strut bar).

The combination of the SSRs and 235/45-17 T1S make the car look like a SUV until a few people get in. I really like the look (with the Comptech’s) and would jump to the Comptech’s in a millisecond if I didn't have to worry about two different issues. I also would like to kill some of the airflow under the car at 90MPH+. The car feels a tad light in high-speed sweepers.

Konis cause a rub problem with the SSR+Toyo+Konis in my sizing
Konis are great for the hills, but a bit too harsh for my day-to-day driving tastes.

(I don't want to switch to 225/45-17 and I personally think the car could use 245/40-17 rubber for even more stick.).

There was one member with my EXACT tire/wheel combo that had rubbing problem with the Konis. Another friend complained about the harshness on lousy roads (he loved the handling in the hills).

Goal: To add Comptech springs + 10-20% stiffer shocks but with shock valving similar to Bilstein and/or stock Acura shocks. (The Tein coilover setup [2-3Q ’03 ?] with the complete adjustment from inside the car is the other option with some spring/valving options. I'm just guessing, but I like what I hear from the people I talk to there.)

Observations: I've driven in a few of the stock + Comptech lowered cars and they feel under damped. If Acura made a factory shock with the exact characteristics but was about 10-20% stiffer - but with the same damping characteristics -- I'd be ready to buy.

I know I can't use the Konis with my SSRs + Toyos since a fellow member has already sorted the combo out and it caused tire rub in the front wheel wells on hard right and left turns.

The Bilsteins + Comptechs would be a "try it and see" test... I've had great luck before, and I didn't get the suspension right on the first try. I ended up with some progressives 2" lowering springs and Bilsteins and finally stuck with that setup (that was an older model Bimmer). (And Bilstein makes Heavy Duty and Sports models…)
Old 10-29-2002, 04:42 AM
Race Director

check my sig for best of both worlds.

if your looking for this combo...i might be selling them within the next month.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Quicksilver

cars are supposed to have naturally higher wheel gap in the front ends. My Eibach springs gave a 1.4 inch drop in the front and 1 inch in back.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:32 PM
Drifting

"Eibach springs gave a 1.4 inch drop in the front and 1 inch in back."

??? On a CLS???

Lou, you may be able to find someone who is willing to switch H&R oe rears for your comptech rears, that would give you an even drop.

Anyhow, if you wanna sell your Comptechs, I'd be interested.

PM me if you decide.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by EricL
BTW, a few people have mentioned the Teins and possible stepper motor addition for our cars.. They were talking about second or third quarter of 2003 for a redesign of the CLS/TLS coilovers to accept the current stepper motors they use to remotely operate the compression/rebound of the shocks. The inside-the-cockpit adjustment of damping combined with some slight bumpstop, spring rate and re-valving options/modifications might make this a killer solution by mid-2003. (To be clear – I just wanted to know if they could make some slight changes to the bumpstops (for my “tight fit setup”); changes to valving (by stroke length and velocity), and to spring rates. The only option that seems to be a non-starter now, is progressive rate springs...
It would be nice if Tein made some changes to accomodate our cars. This could possibly solve the many reports of bottoming out with Teins. You mention progressive rate springs, do you think Tein will make some available for use with their coilover setups? Does any other company offer coilovers with progressive rate springs?
Old 10-29-2002, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Rod
It would be nice if Tein made some changes to accomodate our cars. This could possibly solve the many reports of bottoming out with Teins. You mention progressive rate springs, do you think Tein will make some available for use with their coilover setups? Does any other company offer coilovers with progressive rate springs?
Tein said NO to the progressive springs (a week or two earlier one of the techs there said to call back after he said they “might” do it).
Old 10-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 6speedS
cars are supposed to have naturally higher wheel gap in the front ends. My Eibach springs gave a 1.4 inch drop in the front and 1 inch in back.