Comptech Header design

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech Header design

Has anybody ever spoken with comptech about their header design? I ask because I see/read benefits of long pipes and stepped design to increase the speed of EGs. I wonder if comptech tested those and the net result wasn't as good as their current design? Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never spoken to comptech but I'll throw this out FWIW. Good headers should be the same size as the exhaust ports. They also bend much more gently where they connect to the port compared to the stock manifolds. The pipe length should be equal from cyl to cyl/side to side. I don't think the pipes on the comptech headers are any larger than stock. (I don't know that for sure though) They mainly straighten out the abrubt bends and smooth out the flow. It might be possible to gain some on the bottom end with smaller or stepped pipes to increase velocity at low RPMs but it will probably hurt you on the top end. From looking at the dyno graph for the CT headers they appear to be a very good design losing nothing on the bottom end and gaining a ton at the top. Would be nice to have some gain in the midrange but I doubt it could be done without losing power when the big cam takes over.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ChadT,
Right, yeah with the stock setup I agree from what i've seen you pick either slightly better mid-range or the monster top end gain. Of course the header design on transverse v6 can't be as easy an i4, i6, f4, f6 etc., I'm sure comptech must gone over all possibilities....atleast i'd hope so.