Coil Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 10:54 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Wire?

For 30+ years and 20+ cars I have disconnected the coil wire and turned the engine over for a 10 count to fill the oil filter after an oil change. Sometime in the late 60's Car and Driver claimed that this was important to eliminate the dreaded dry start. Makes sense to me and I have always followed this routine. Now I gaze with wonder and fear at all the unfamiliar computerized gizmos under the hood. Would someone please somehow point out a safe way to do this? After all this time and all my beaters, I'm now a first time synthetic oil user, Mobile 1. Thanks for any informed responses. Sieze ya.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, if you're planning to keep the car for 500,000 miles, it might be worth it.

In real life, and assuming you're using good oil (you are - the best), it's not necessary at all. Yes it does wear more with a "dry start", but so little it will take a few hundred thousand miles to tell. There is always some oil residue on the cyclinder walls and in the bearings (unless the car has been stored for a while) and with Mobile 1 thats more than enough to protect on start ups after a change.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:42 AM
BC
nearsighted visionary

You may be right on the miles. The wife has a '02 V8 Explorer for yanking around the tent trailer and utility trailer and I/we have the Acura and the forever BMW bike. This may be my last Internal Combustion engine automotive purchase. So yeah, this car has to go the distance. More opinions please.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by BC
This may be my last Internal Combustion engine automotive purchase. So yeah, this car has to go the distance.
BC
A-CL Official Member

Treehugger?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Racer

Originally posted by BC
You may be right on the miles. The wife has a '02 V8 Explorer for yanking around the tent trailer and utility trailer and I/we have the Acura and the forever BMW bike. This may be my last Internal Combustion engine automotive purchase. So yeah, this car has to go the distance. More opinions please.
Are you sure the Car and Driver article wasn't talking about vehicles that have sat for a while? Even after a vehicle has become completely cold there is still a small layer of oil in between the piston and cylinder, crank, valves and springs, etc. It would take months for all of it to drip into the pan and become dry. Even then the clearence tolerances in a modern engine hold a thin layer of oil through calapilary principle. I know there used to be a lot of slop tolerance in older engines, but they would still have to sit a while to become dry. Or course you are free to continue your practice of lubing prior to firing, but cars don't come with 8 tracks anymore either.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:39 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Tree hugger? There is no denying that there has been some shortsighted policies. I just spent two weeks in the Mt. Adams wilderness area, loved it. When I camp, I think there should be a small (miniscule) chance of an encounter with creatures that threaten my life. At this time of year the bears were at higher altitudes, but I saw a beaver and kitty kat tracks. Big kitty kats. I was able to sneak up to a couple of deer at dawn. Shot them with my minolta. Tree hugger? Yeah, I guess I got a bit of that in me. But I still consume and waste like a good american. I also take the time to recycle, compost, proper air pressure, added home insulation, etc. Now back to my car, I want this one to last long enough that alternative fuel vehicles will be proven and a real option, range, towing capabilities, comfortable, and a bit of a thrill when you want it. Hence my concern about oil pressure upon startup after fluid change. Thanks JRock for making me grin with a one word response. And Bill, thanks for your response to my question, and I would like to continue this routine.....if I could only find out how. Sieze ya.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Old timer

Welcome.