Clutch Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Pressure

Recently got a new clutch put in and I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but it seems like the clutch pressure is much stronger than before. I asked if there was any adjustment for this and I was told NO, as it was a hydraulic clutch. Well, I knew that, but there must a damn spring somewhere for the pedal.

The other question I have is regarding engagement point. I drove a 350Z recently and the engagement point was much closer to the floor... I like this a lot better than where mine is (near the mid point of travel). Is there any adjustment for engagement point?

Aside from these relatively minor irritations the clutch engagement is really solid - much nicer than before. Pretty hard to leave a stop light without chirping though. I brought the car home in the rain and I was spinning at every light. Just not built for a gentle take off I guess. Should be interesting in the winter.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Racer

You probably will get used to the new clutch in short order - it sounds like it works well, just feels a little different.

As for this winter, better get some good snow tires and learn how to start off slowly in second gear when the snow accumulates (I found this out the hard way last winter)!

2003 CLS Six Speed
Comptech Icebox
Old 08-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave
You probably will get used to the new clutch in short order - it sounds like it works well, just feels a little different.

As for this winter, better get some good snow tires and learn how to start off slowly in second gear when the snow accumulates (I found this out the hard way last winter)!

2003 CLS Six Speed
Comptech Icebox
I have some good snow tires... but compared to my last CL (5AT) that is so much off the line that I think starting in first is not the way to go... I think your advice is good... starting in second will probablu be much better.

I am really hoping that the clutch pressure lets off though... It is tiring waiting at a light with the clutch in.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goredcar
I am really hoping that the clutch pressure lets off though... It is tiring waiting at a light with the clutch in.
Wait in neutral with the clutch out. Easier on the clutch, throwout bearing and your leg.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Zippee
Wait in neutral with the clutch out. Easier on the clutch, throwout bearing and your leg.

What happens if you need to move suddenly? You're car should always be in gear. Neutral is only there for when you need to push your car when you're out of gas IMO
Old 08-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsteve
What happens if you need to move suddenly? You're car should always be in gear. Neutral is only there for when you need to push your car when you're out of gas IMO
When would you ever need to move so quickly that you didn't have time to drop it into gear?
Old 08-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
When would you ever need to move so quickly that you didn't have time to drop it into gear?

When someone is flying up behind you not paying attention; doesn't realize you've stopped.

It's alot quicker to be in gear, gas in clutch out go than to get in gear and get moving.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

When someone is flying up behind you not paying attention; doesn't realize you've stopped.

It's alot quicker to be in gear, gas in clutch out go than to get in gear and get moving.
Let me be sure I understand....you sit at lights with your eye glued to the mirror poised to jump right out into crossing traffic?

I have never been hit from behind at a light so I'll keep risking life and limb by letting the car rest in neutral at lights.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro

I agree... I don't like being unprepared, and i typically will have it in gear with the clutch in. This new clutch is a beast though, and is noticable stiffer that the old one. I have experimented with having it in neutral and and shifting into gear when I see the other light change, but it is a bit of a pain in the ass... and it does take some extra time.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goredcar
....I have experimented with having it in neutral and and shifting into gear when I see the other light change, but it is a bit of a pain in the ass... and it does take some extra time.
To me sitting with my foot on the floor holding in the clutch is a pain in the ass...well a pain in the leg anyway.

I seldom put it into gear until the light changes, the extra second it takes gives time for the moron on the cross street who ran the red time to get past before I pull out.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro

To me sitting with my foot on the floor holding in the clutch is a pain in the ass...well a pain in the leg anyway.

I seldom put it into gear until the light changes, the extra second it takes gives time for the moron on the cross street who ran the red time to get past before I pull out.
Yup, it definately is a pain in the leg... but I find that if I don't have the extra time and try to rush I end up squeeling the tires when I don't want to.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Advanced

"and i typically will have it in gear with the clutch in"

Extras wear on the throwout bearing and tremendous stress on the pressure plate!

Only time clutch should be in is when you are shifting gears.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Pro

"Extra wear on the throwout bearing"

OK - thanks for the information... I appreciate it! I don't know enough about the mechanics of a clutch.